IGNORED

Sega CD Recommendations?

madhatter667

So, this is one that I missed out on back in the day. Kind of a shame really, as it seems to have some real gems on it. Funny enough, is that I don't actually own the hardware, but my emu will boot CDs from my disc drive. I know that is kind of cheating, but it works. Lol.

So, titles that I currently have are:

Android Assault

Dark Wizard

Dune

Dungeon Explorer

Dungeon Master

Final Fight CD

Flashback

Lunar (both)

Mansion of Hidden Soul's

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Mortal Kombat

Night Trap

Nova Storm

Revenge of the Ninja

Shining Force

Silpheed

Snatcher

Sonic CD

Terminator

Vay

Are there any "must haves" that aren't here? Any gems that fell under the radar?

Noteworthy or decent games that I don't see on your list:

Lords of Thunder
Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side
Robo Aleste
Pitfall the Mayan Adventure
Batman Returns
Samurai Shodown
Heart of the Alien: Out of This World 1 and 2
Fatal Fury Special
Mickey Mania
Sega Arcade Classics (either the four or five pack version)
Battlecorps
Chuck Rock (1 and 2)
Demolition Man
Popful Mail
Earthworm Jim: Special Edition
Ecco and Ecco: Tides of Time
Lethal Enforcers
Prince of Persia

Since you are using emulation, you can also try Ninja Warriors and Night Striker. Both import-only but are kind of neat.

It's always nice to see someone discover the Sega CD for the first time. There are a lot of decent games on it, more than it ever really gets credit for. There are a lot of games on the platform in general, and due to the wide array of available releases, there might be more notable games for some than others depending on personal tastes.

• Like 3

Oooh. Forgot about Popful Mail. Heard good things about that one. I've got Prince of Persia for Turbo CD... does the Sega CD version blow it away?

Yeah, I am surprised by the number of well regarded titles on the SegaCD. I miss the Genesis. I sold it off ages ago... but it was solid. The SegaCD just didn't seem to get the coverage/publicity, which was a shame.

Edited by madhatter667

Oooh. Forgot about Popful Mail. Heard good things about that one. I've got Prince of Persia for Turbo CD... does the Sega CD version blow it away?

I wouldn't say it blows it away (it was made by the same company as far as I can tell). The Sega CD one is improved in minor ways though, including a better framerate when the speed options in the game's menu are tinkered with.

It gets a bad rep, but I love the early pack-in game Sol Feace. When my friend got a Sega CD right after it launched, he popped that in and we were blown away with the anime-style cut scenes and the sound. And the music is really good! It's usually under $10, and well worth it.

Edited by Silverfleet

These have been mentioned already, but I'd second Heart of The Alien and Silpheed, which you already have. I've got maybe two dozen Sega CD titles but those are the ones that stand out. The real reason you want Heart of The Alien is that it also contains the always-excellent Out of This World; Heart of The Alien is the Sega CD exclusive sequel to OoTW, but is pretty marginal compared to OoTW. Silpheed, of course, is one of the SegaCD's better shumps, even if it's brutally difficult.

NBA Jam is really good, too, but I don't know how much of an improvement it is over the Genesis version. Mortal Kombat is fun enough, but is essentially a carbon copy of the Genesis version with better sound, loading times (IIRC it even pauses to load fatalities...meh), and doesn't need a blood code.

NBA Jam is really good, too, but I don't know how much of an improvement it is over the Genesis version. Mortal Kombat is fun enough, but is essentially a carbon copy of the Genesis version with better sound, loading times (IIRC it even pauses to load fatalities...meh), and doesn't need a blood code.

Good call on NBA Jam, I forgot about that. I'm not sure how different it is from the Genesis game, but the CD soundtrack makes a big difference.

Mortal Kombat is solid as well, the arcade soundtrack used there makes a *huge* difference. Of course, there's no blood code needed, but they also added in some extra details here and there, like the heads and bodies stuck on the spikes in the pit. Animation might even be better on the characters than the Genesis version.

• Like 1

I second from Austin's list: Lords of Thunder, Eternal Champions, Mickey Mania, EWJ: SE. I am surprised no one has mentioned Road Rash. I thought the Sega CD version was much better than the PSX / Saturn versions that didn't play the soundtrack while you're racing (only during cutscenes / while you're at a stop), and thought that it was an awesome version of the game. Soundtrack filled with Swervedriver, Soundgarden, other 90's pseudo indie goodies. Oh, and super lame but funny cutscenes. :P

Seconding Thunderstrike.

And recommending from your list that you make sure not to skip Snatcher (obviously!), Vay, Final Fight, Dungeon Explorer, and Shining Force - this version of Shining Force cuts out the pointless exploring and just goes battle to battle. It might be my favorite Shining Force, just adore it. Might even be my favorite Sega CD game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...