IGNORED

Do you play with your collection

Jim Pez

I guess though there are some that might question keeping things in a superb condition for historical reference though and not just resell ability. maybe that is more to the point of wondering what in your collection are you okay playing with if you might have something that's historical in nature.

There are different degrees of how anal a person can be I guess, but I feel like the kind of person who buys a game and then does the Nigel Tufnel "no, don't point, don't even look at it" thing can really only be doing it protect resale value. There's a level below that, which is probably where I am, where you try really hard to take care of your stuff and minimize wear as much as possible, but still you take it out and display it and play it when you have the time. Especially for others, if what you're interested in is the history. History doesn't mean anything unless it's shared with others and passed down, and the gameplay is the real historical legacy of any game.

• Like 3

I've always referred to my collection as a 'working collection'- everything in it is intended to be played. I may not have time to play much, but nothing is off limits. More importantly, my friends/family know this: I'm pretty willing to let anyone play anything I've got. I'm a bit more picky about lending titles, but if I trust you I'll definitely let you borrow things. Games are for playing, it seems silly to me to not allow that.

History doesn't mean anything unless it's shared with others and passed down, and the gameplay is the real historical legacy of any game.

Yes, this exactly- when you ask someone why they love, say, Super Mario on NES, it's not because it was in that awesome grey cart with the ridges & the picture of Mario JUMPING on it! Oh, so extreme he is! It's because they remember the actual game- dodging koopas, beating bowser, finding the hidden warp pipes, etc. A game that's never played, even a little bit, just feels sad to me- like wasted potential in a little plastic box (or disc.)