IGNORED

Download the New Update for Your 39-Year-Old Apple II

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Download the New Update for Your 39-Year-Old Apple II
This is the first update to the Apple II operating system in more than 20 years.
Software Developer John Brooks decided to commemorate one of the most successful Apple II versions, the Apple IIGS, which was released thirty years ago on September 15, 1986. So he created an update to ProDOS, the Apple II operating system.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a22911/update-apple-ii/?src=TrueAnth_POPMECHANICS_TW&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=57dcbda504d3015e85dd44ad&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

Being the biggest Apple II enthusiast here I think it's great. But is it newsworthy? Absolutely not. SpartaDOS for the Atari is just as significant, as are other new-school utilities for even other old-school micros. And none of them got "big-press".

At least one thing that's definitively modern about it is that it had an update already. Not out 2 weeks and they issued a patch! Just like everything else.

Something bothers me the wrong way about the project. I thought it was cool at first, but now I don't know WTF..

Edited by Keatah

Ahh hah! I found out what was "bothering me the wrong way". The disk is packed full of stuff and there is essentially no free space left.

My suggestion, however practical or not, is to either make a .2mg version or simply move to a 2-disk release for future versions. Future releases will simply need more space!

Edited by Keatah