IGNORED

Which of the first generation pong systems are the best one to own?

Nutsy Doodleheimer

• 1 year later...

I think it's more of what you like, as far as aesthetics on the console, as most of them are the same game wise, mainly due to the General Instruments Ay-3-8500 chip that about 90% of them ran. As far as one type I like, are the APF Tv fun series. I personally have the 2 rarest models in their lineup (which are "uncommon" at best), the 402 "Sportarama" (with the extra detachable paddles, and the Light gun), and the 406F "Color Match", which has the additional GI 8512 Color chip . Unfortunately, the 406 is in bad shape, and currently not working.

The pic below is of My APF TV Fun 402 "Sportarama". The Detachable Controllers are for Players 1 and 2, players 3 and 4 use the knobs on the console. The gun plugs in the side. (the pic was taken at my work, I had just got it, and no time to go home before work.)

med_gallery_23828_369_43480.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder how many ay-3-8500 , ay-3-8550 ,and ay-3-8610 games had color? I would like to find some of those color pongs.

There were a few, for example the APF TV Fun "Color Match" 406F. I have one of these myself. I cannot tell you how many used color though. The earlier Color PONGs using the GI chips used the 8515 Color chip as an add on to the standard AY-3-8500(-1) the later color pongs replaced both of these with the AY-3-8510 chip, which was also released in a cartridge format for the "PC-50x" series of Consoles, such as the Hanimex SD-070 Color TV Programmable, and the Soundic SD-050 Programmable. the 8510 had 6 games, instead of 10, but had color built into the chip.

There is also this pong clone exclusively released under the Penney's branding in '76. I believe this uses the standard pong on a chip as well and on mine I'm able to invoke an extra paddle by moving the game selector in-between selections...hehe. I also really REALLY like the way this pong unit looks and it plays fine through RF even on my modern HDTV surprisingly. I believe these are basically APF-TV FUN units but in a custom case for Penney's. Really smooth paddle movements on these too and I've never even cleaned the pots on it?!

There is also this pong clone exclusively released under the Penney's branding in '76. I believe this uses the standard pong on a chip as well and on mine I'm able to invoke an extra paddle by moving the game selector in-between selections...hehe. I also really REALLY like the way this pong unit looks and it plays fine through RF even on my modern HDTV surprisingly. I believe these are basically APF-TV FUN units but in a custom case for Penney's. Really smooth paddle movements on these too and I've never even cleaned the pots on it?!

Not sure who the original vendor or manufacturer of this design was (don't think it was APF), but I have the Venture Electronics Video Sports version.

photo_VentureVS-1thum.JPG

• Like 1

Not sure who the original vendor or manufacturer of this design was (don't think it was APF), but I have the Venture Electronics Video Sports version.

Yeap that looks very similar to the JCP branded one. On the bottom of mine I could have sworn it says something about TV FUN. I will have to watch my video again as I believe I read all of that off when I was going over the console.

Nope I was mistaken. Just says Phoenix International and TV-204 for the model. That Venture Elect version you have likely says the same on the bottom?

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

• 4 weeks later...

I own one of those, but I have never seen the original box for that model -- do you happen to have a larger image?