IGNORED

Target: Earth

mmertes

Any fans of Target: Earth among the forums here? I actually fired it up for the first time yesterday after playing the PS4 remake that just came out. I found it to be pretty enjoyable, though it can get difficult in some places. I was familiar with its sequel, Assault Suit Leynos 2 and its spin off; Cybernator and it was pretty neat seeing the series origin point being on the Genesis. Did anyone pick this up when it first came out? I was nose deep into the NES during its original 1990 release, so I never had any exposure to its before just recently.

The remake is pretty fun as well though they've borrowed many elements from Cybernator to mix things up a little.

I did a quick video play of it as well, feel free to check it out to jog your memory on the game or experience it for the first time.

• Like 1

Target Earth made by Dreamworks was an excellent title for the Genesis. Its tough as nails though but there are 2 really good cheats to use.

Plug in controller 2 and press start and you will be invincible.

In the first battle only kill the main ship getting I think 2600 points and all weapons will be unlocked for you to use on all the levels.

On level 3 there is a spot you can stand (if you don't feel like cheating) to aim diagonal and fire to get points becasue weapon bonuses are on points. more points means more weapons. So set it up put your controller on autofire with the Gat gun and come back in a few hours.

Enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Target Earth made by Dreamworks was an excellent title for the Genesis.

Enjoy it.

Target Earth or to give it its real name, Assault Suit Leynos was developed by NCS Misaya. Dreamworks are just the American distributors.

This is a great game though and a tough one at that if you just try to bomb right through it. You should also try out the flow ups Assault suit Valken on the Super Famicom or Cybernator as it was called and censored in the West. And also Assault Suit Leynos II on the Saturn. All games were developed by NCS Misaya although Cybernator was published by Konami in the West.

Edited by Yakumo1975

• 2 weeks later...

Any fans of Target: Earth among the forums here? I actually fired it up for the first time yesterday after playing the PS4 remake that just came out. I found it to be pretty enjoyable, though it can get difficult in some places. I was familiar with its sequel, Assault Suit Leynos 2 and its spin off; Cybernator and it was pretty neat seeing the series origin point being on the Genesis. Did anyone pick this up when it first came out? I was nose deep into the NES during its original 1990 release, so I never had any exposure to its before just recently.

The remake is pretty fun as well though they've borrowed many elements from Cybernator to mix things up a little.

I did a quick video play of it as well, feel free to check it out to jog your memory on the game or experience it for the first time.

Target Earth was one of my first games for the Genesis because it was only $20 back in '91. I chose it back then based on the cheap price but I ended up really liking it and really enjoyed the variety of stages and music. I just got the remake on the PS4 a few weeks ago and had fun, but then powered up the original on the Genesis and went back to that.

Target Earth was one of my first games for the Genesis because it was only $20 back in '91. I chose it back then based on the cheap price but I ended up really liking it and really enjoyed the variety of stages and music. I just got the remake on the PS4 a few weeks ago and had fun, but then powered up the original on the Genesis and went back to that.

Now that's awesome! 20 bucks is a great price for this game. I need to go play it again, but I'm in the middle of finishing Policenauts on the Saturn.

Now that's awesome! 20 bucks is a great price for this game

That's why I got it, I dont remember the price but it was signifigantly cheaper than most titles

my dad liked to pick on it calling it "an 8 bit game" but not with the music and the cinematic's and content flying all over the place

WOW!!! :-o

I haven't played Target: Earth in years Mike. I completely forgot about this title. I know I have it somewhere in my closet that I haven't touch in a while that has this in a basket where I keep my old video game cords. After seeing this video of yours, I got to dig it out and give it a good cleaning in order to play this game again! :)

Thank you for sharing this Mark. Thank you for bringing back fond memories of it! :)

Anthony...

Oh yeah. One of my favorite Genesis games ever. Bought it with xmas money back in the early 90s and absolutely loved it. Had a great story, tough as nails, varied levels, and configurable loadouts. Not to mention one of the best soundtracks on the genesis.

The sequels kicked ass too, particularly the import Japan only Saturn sequel.

• 7 years later...

@mmertes Target Earth is one of the most underrated games on the Sega Genesis. I think the reason the game is not very well know if because it was released in March 1990 and that was only 7 months after the Genesis had launched in the US so there wasn't a large user base at that point.  Would this game have been released a year later once the Sega Genesis had caught on it probably would have sold more copies and be better known.  I bought my Sega Genesis early on when the original launch model included Altered Beast and Target Earth was the second game I purchased (it hadn't been released at this point or it would have been my first game I would have bought for so Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle was first game I purchased).  I am curious if there are any sales figures for Target Earth (would interesting to see how well it sold vs later hit titles that were released on the Sega Genesis).