IGNORED

HSC13 R16: "HSC Mixed Bag"

therealbountybob

Disk 2 updated on the first post:

Bosconian - latest w.i.p. ver

Incoming!! "HSC" - I've taken off the scoring reduction so it's more fun, it's too easy and ends at wave 11 but it's satisfying obliterating everything! My score 70,520

Night Mission Pinball - has another copy from atarionline.pl as fandal's seems to leak balls under the left flipper - which my multiboot copy doesn't (I think). Anyone know about this?

:)

In 2014, during round 9 of the Atari 8-Bit HSC11, I played Incoming! as my bonus game. The game really captured my attention-- partly due to its cool artwork, which is quite good for a type-in game:

post-4925-0-74723100-1475535566_thumb.jpg

I ended up posting lots of information about the Incoming! You can read the OCR'ed directions for Incoming!, neat background on how the programmer wrote the game and a nice bio of the game's author, here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225574-hsc11-round-9-i-ixion/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3000667

Some of my comments and hints on playing Incoming! can be read here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225574-hsc11-round-9-i-ixion/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3000692

Analog magazine included great art for Incoming! as well as the game's source code on the floppy disk. That information is part of this thread when I was looking for the January 1986 disk issue of Analog:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225636-wanted-side-2-of-disk-for-analog-magazine-38-jan-1986/

I haven't been following this HSC thread closely, but I don't remember there being a scoring bug in Incoming! What exactly is the problem that you guys are having playing the game?

Adam

• Like 1

I suggested Star Island for this round because I'd recently played it on the Atari 130XE with my friend, Chris. We actually recorded ourselves (on video) playing the game. Chris sent me transcription of that video yesterday. It's not enough material to make into an article, but I figured that others who are currently playing the game might get a kick out of what we said. Here is the transcription (it has been with slightly edited for clarity and context):

Star Island (Atari 8-Bit Home Computers)
September 9, 2016

----

Adam: What's this called, again?

Chris: Well, it's called _Star Castle_ in the arcade, of course. This is _Star Island._

A: [sarcastically:] That's because it's nothing like the original.

C: Not at all! It's got colors. But then, _Star Castle_ has overlays, doesn't it?

A: I don't remember. I never saw the arcade game.

C: I think the shield layers are colored by overlays. I played the game once back in the '80s. Anyway, this is the same game, except that it starts out a bit easier -- which I appreciate, because it's why I've been playing for more than ten seconds.

A: [After the Star Island explodes:] THAT was cool!

C: Do you remember if the arcade game does this? When your ship bounces against the shield, it flips around [180 degrees]?

A: I don't have any experience with it.

C: [After destroying the second Star Island:] Yeah; this is MUCH easier. Usually, in the real _Star Castle,_ as soon as I get gaps blown all the way through the shield, I get shot by the Castle.

A: Let's see if we can't change the difficulty. It goes up to Level 15, so let's try that. Oh, SHIT!

C: The mines are really fast now!

A: This is impossible!

C: You apparently have to shoot 'em. There's no evading 'em.

A: I'll try starting on Level 7.

C: It's still really fast.

A: Yeah.

C: Thankfully, this has _Asteroids_ controls. We've been used to those for thirty-odd years.

A: What's _Asteroids?_

C: A game with controls.

A: I only have a bit of inertia here.

C: Not as much as in _Star Castle,_ that's for sure.

A: I don't know. We should try that in _MAME_ after a bit.

C: Cool.

A: I'm having a hard time controlling my ship.

C: Notice that the mines don't chase you through the border when you wrap.

A: I like my ship's explosion.

C: Yeah. ALL of the explosions are cool in this game.

A: [After evading a group of mines:] A-ha! I'm just gonna keep flying straight and confusing them [by wrapping]! You know, it's actually kinda helpful that your ship turns around when it hits the shield.

C: Somebody worked really hard on this. It's very good.

A: Well, it's a commercial release. Here -- give this level a try.

C: This is 7?

C: [After reading "GET READY, PLAYER 1":] Oh, I'M ready. Are YOU ready, Star Island?

A: [Laughing at Chris's death]

C: Damn! I thought you could shoot the mines! You can in the arcade game.

A: Yeah -- you can. I forgot about that.

C: Also, all of the enemy shields get repaired when your ship gets destroyed here. That doesn't happen in _Star Castle._

A: I'll try Level 5. What's this number [in the lower center]?

C: 2,800.

A: Very funny.

C: I thought that was your score at first. Maybe it measures how much you suck. Oh, wait -- it's probably the HIGH score.

A: Oh. Maybe.

C: It's in a different font, so it threw us off, that's all. We're still smart.

A: [Yelling wordlessly at the game]

C: Interesting choice of Christmas colors for the shields.

C: That means we're actually destroying Santa. You realize that, right? _Star Island_ is actually a cover-up name for the North Pole. They can't fool me! The mines even look like snowballs.

A: Why am I having such a hard time with this? It makes me wanna play the Amiga version.

C: That one's awesome.

A: Well, that's enough of THIS one.

• Like 1

Nice posts bally :thumbsup: I guess incoming losing 10pts per shot is a bit mean so I removed it after scoring 0 but having fun (hacked version on the updated Disk 2).

Bosconian - latest version still same but has speech "Blast Off" still same score for rounds 1-3 45,530. I did do another set and then sort of gave up as nothing else was happening thought it might have been slightly faster :ponder: 90,970 :)

NMP is now on my screen and I've pushed 10 quarters into the 130XE :love:

Nice posts bally :thumbsup: I guess incoming losing 10pts per shot is a bit mean so I removed it after scoring 0 but having fun (hacked version on the updated Disk 2).

Bosconian - latest version still same but has speech "Blast Off" still same score for rounds 1-3 45,530. I did do another set and then sort of gave up as nothing else was happening thought it might have been slightly faster :ponder: 90,970 :)

NMP is now on my screen and I've pushed 10 quarters into the 130XE :love:

I'm not sure it's worth playing Incoming with the points loss being disabled. You'll just have to have a bit more self control :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's worth playing Incoming with the points loss being disabled. You'll just have to have a bit more self control :)

We'll have 1pt for the highest with and 1pt for the highest without - bally's tips on the posts above might help :)

Ok I got some play time this avvo:

"2048" 1336 struggling to improve much

Clouburst (play on EXPERT folks) 20,970

Da Fuzz 12,300

Paralllax 34,090 (reached 2nd bonus screen level 30) this is a much better game than you might all think so play it!!!

Speedmaza after getting exactly the same score 117 which was a bit freaky I managed 122 :)

Tables update soonish

Hey folks, been meaning to participate here for a while but finally got around to it. Even got APE up and running and wrote the disk images onto a real floppy to play on the 800XL as God intended.

This is an unusual selection for me in that every single one of these games is one that I've never tried before! I grew up with a lot of Atari 8-bit games, so I have a fairly broad knowledge of a lot of the popular ones, but it's an absolute pleasure to come across ones that are completely new to me.

Will update with some scores when I've set some that I'm not ashamed of. :)

EDIT: Speedmaza makes my eyes bleed but I love it! I got 122 after a few attempts. HUSAK

imag0192.jpg

Edited by pjedavison
  • Like 1

Hey folks, been meaning to participate here for a while but finally got around to it. Even got APE up and running and wrote the disk images onto a real floppy to play on the 800XL as God intended.

This is an unusual selection for me in that every single one of these games is one that I've never tried before! I grew up with a lot of Atari 8-bit games, so I have a fairly broad knowledge of a lot of the popular ones, but it's an absolute pleasure to come across ones that are completely new to me.

Will update with some scores when I've set some that I'm not ashamed of. :)

Welcome pjedavison :thumbsup: don't be shy with those scores it's all a bit of fun (he lies :evil: ) Great we could do with some extra Atari HSCers. This round has turned out some much better games than usual - there is not even one that is a "stinker" (we'll try harder for next time). If you want to pick 5 games and add them to the games list thread they will go into the next poll but one.

:)

Tables Updated on Post #2 this time with all the games on the tables attachments.

missing pjedavison's SpeedMaza joint top score which will get 7pts

you know how to make people welcome by missing them out :P

ok everyone please check your scores I'll update things again on Sunday.

New edition of Pro© Atari Magazine is out, please support this guys :thumbsup:

plus the abbuc software contest disks have arrived so the Atari season is kicking off :)

Carnival Massacre 14,350 (3x)

Incoming!! (Original Version) 320 try shooting only the falling chutes/objects perhaps ;)

Cyclod 8,160 level 9 I'm liking this game, leave the game alone and watch the demo mode on level 20 :-o and you also see the High Score table.

Ok let's update the tables... UPDATED

p.s. Welcome to RedThunder :thumbsup: :thumbsup: see the comments above about the games list :)

• Like 1