IGNORED

Got Hard Hat and Space Cadet today, but...

JohnPCAE

No, Eric is correct about this one -- it would either be "enemies' planet" or "enemy's planet".

Where things get tricky is with words that end in S in the singular. The Grammar Book link has some examples that don't follow this rule, but I was taught to always add apostrophe + S to any non-plural word ending in S, even if it sounds awkward:

The compass's needle was in Mr. Jones's pocket.

Before the 21st century, Texas's laws would have forbidden what Cmart and Rev did in that motel room.

The Golden Girls' lawyer said that the sealed copy of Atlantis's value was reduced by 50% after it was used to spread bacon grease on the two defendants.

The more you know!

• Like 3

No, Eric is correct about this one -- it would either be "enemies' planet" or "enemy's planet".

Where things get tricky is with words that end in S in the singular. The Grammar Book link has some examples that don't follow this rule, but I was taught to always add apostrophe + S to any non-plural word ending in S, even if it sounds awkward:

The compass's needle was in Mr. Jones's pocket.

Before the 21st century, Texas's laws would have forbidden what Cmart and Rev did in that motel room.

The Golden Girls' lawyer said that the sealed copy of Atlantis's value was reduced by 50% after it was used to spread bacon grease on the two defendants.

The more you know!

Haha! Well played. :)

• Like 1

Quick review of Space Cadet: overall it was a simple but fine game.

Controls were easy, game play is simple to explain but fun to play, it's enjoyable to bop your opponent, and the border on/off changes adds light variety.

While Frog Bog remains my go-to game for Intellivision party games and as a nice an intro to the Intellivision, I'll likely put Space Cadet into rotation.

• Like 1

Quick review of Hard Hat: overall, I didn't care for it.

The game has some issues:

• Completing a building does not end the game. I didn't try completing both buildings to see if that ended the game.
  • Controls are glitchy. Running left and right stuttered at times, slowing the player down. At times, it was also difficult to travel up and down pipes.
  • Landing on the crane platform from the same building level randomly worked. Usually it worked but other times you just fell straight down to the ground.
  • Some randomness on which way you carried the glass when you picked it up from the crane. Usually, when picking up the glass you kept going the same direction. However, sometimes the player reversed went the wrong direction to the other building, giving a pane of glass to your opponent.
  • After a while, it just gets tedious climbing all the way back up from ground level over and over using the same path of pipes.
  • Only some of the opponent's panes of glass can be removed & broken. Other panes of glass were not removable once put in place.

Maybe there is something I'm doing wrong here.

I'm still dreading releasing a boxed game. If I use hieroglyphs or Sanskrit at least most of you won't complain about the grammar.

I'm now thinking that Pig-Latin may be the only solution.

I'm still dreading releasing a boxed game. If I use hieroglyphs or Sanskrit at least most of you won't complain about the grammar.

I'm now thinking that Pig-Latin may be the only solution.

If you like Jay I am actually an expert with grammar and spelling, and my Wife being a school teacher probably wouldn't hurt either!

Use us if need be to proof read or help with the wording for the box! Thanks, Dale :)

I'm curious to hear what other folks think of the two games. I'm sure other folks have different opinions from mine. ;)

Back in 1983 they thought it would be a good idea to make some casual games meant to be played by groups of people at parties. Of the three Party Line games I think Blow Out is the weakest. For quick casual multiplayer games I might recommend Snafu, Biplanes, Battle Tanks, and even Horse Racing instead.

You could release a game without any text at all on the package or manual, just a series of images illustrating your message. Like a comic book, without the speech bubbles of course.

Like Lego instructions!

Or Ikea instructions! :)

This is a terrific idea! I'd like to see a game with instructions so simple, no text is needed. I very much like the style of Lego (or IKEA) instructions, where there is not only pictures with items, but also actions depicting what the user should do next using clever tropes like "before and after" images, etc.

This, as opposed to something like my game manual which is heavy on text. Oof! You should have seen the first draft! It was like 19 pages with heavy text blocks. (I think Joe Z. said it read like a book report or a text book. I was aiming for "fairy tale story book," so that was a big miss!) After a few turn arounds, we managed to tone it down to 14 and added even more images. Not everything has to be spelled out.

-dZ.