IGNORED

2x BALL in one line

Lazycow

Hi, I am working on a testkernel which should move 2 BALL sprites next to each other in one line horizontally. (for multiple lines)

The testkernel successfully moves 1 BALL horizontally by setting RESBL, HMBL and WSYNC, HMOVE in the next line.

I can also setup 2 BALL sprites next to each other, but then they are not moving correctly.

Now I need some help, how do I setup this? Is it even possible to move 2 BALL sprites next to each other? I only know "Galaxian", which displays more than 6 player sprites in one row, so I guess it should be possible? But how?

The moveable objects (sprites on modern systems) on the Atari are known as PLAYERs, MISSILEs and BALL. You get 2 each of the PLAYERs and the MISSILEs, but only 1 BALL. If you want to use the BALL multiple times on a horizontal line you would normally use flicker and draw BALL A on even frames, BALL B on odd frames.

The PLAYERs and MISSILEs can be set for duplicate and triplicate mode (via NUSIZ#) which lets you get up to 6 of them per scanline. You get additional copies via the RESP# trick, which is a bit advanced for newbie. That link, as well as other useful information, can be found at MiniDig which contains the best of the old stella mailing list.

Hi, I am working on a testkernel which should move 2 BALL sprites next to each other in one line horizontally. (for multiple lines)

The testkernel successfully moves 1 BALL horizontally by setting RESBL, HMBL and WSYNC, HMOVE in the next line.

I can also setup 2 BALL sprites next to each other, but then they are not moving correctly.

Now I need some help, how do I setup this? Is it even possible to move 2 BALL sprites next to each other? I only know "Galaxian", which displays more than 6 player sprites in one row, so I guess it should be possible? But how?

Are you using RESBL to make the ball appear twice on a line? If so, your HMOVEs will not be very effective. You can achieve what you are attempting if you use missiles 0 and 1, or a ball and a missile.

Yes, I know this post in the Stella mailing list for the RESPx trick, but it didn't help me. I cannot find any hints how to handle the HMOVE correctly with this trick.

Also, it has to be the BALL, because PLAYER and MISSILE have the wrong color.

I think 7 PLAYERs in Galaxian are kind of a RESPx trick and these 7 PLAYERs are moving horizontally.

So is it possible to move 2 BALLs next to each other as well? I never read something about a RESBL-trick...

Edited by Lazycow