IGNORED

Racing the Atari bus with a STM32F4 microcontroller

electrotrains

Just wondering it we could get reverse basic function added to this modified OS. Not all bootable atr's are basic related and need the option key pressed. Much more since able to have option key for those few bootable floppies that require basic enabled.

New version of the OS from flashjazzcat (attached) which reverses the OPTION key - put this in the root of your SD card, and the cartridge will load it into the Atari in place of the cartridge's built-in Atari OS.

I've only briefly tested it, but it seems to work.

Robin

UNO_OS.ROM.zip

• Like 3

I've set up a github repository for the UnoCart:

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart

At the moment there is just the latest version of the user guide (with updated microcontroller pin allocations) but the current firmware will follow shortly. I'll also post the source code there at some point in the future when I'm happy everything is working perfectly.

Robin

• Like 6

Having fun with ths Uno Cart so far. Others have already asked a few questions of mine so far (cntl-arrows, swap ATRs). Another suggestion that I have would be left/right arrows for page down/up. Also joystick control with fire button to select would be a great feature.

By the way, the search feature works great and is a lot faster than I was expecting it to be!

• Like 1

If joystick control is added, it would be good to be able to disable this feature if not wanted like what was done in the U1MB. One scenario where this is required is if you had left a JOY2PIC plugged in which will look like someone is using the joystick when they are not.

- Michael

• Like 1

Hi All,

Since Flashjazzcat and myself are thinking about building some more UnoCarts, I'm sure we'd both be interested in some feedback from those kind people that have purchased one so far.

Specfically:

Did you have any problems using the board on your machine?

I know that it probably doesn't work on unmodified 400/800's with RAS instead of Phi2 on the cartridge port and I've also had varied reports of it working on machines with the U1MB expansion.

What do you think of the functionality? What do you think of the ATR loading?

What do you think of the 3d printed shell?

All feedback good and bad welcomed!

Robin

Screen corruption on my U1M 800XL, but is flawless on all the others. I have not tried the UNO-cart in my 800 w/Incognito yet.

I like the ATR loading okay, mostly use as a Game rom holder and with Dropcheck's new dual port extender it is very easy to use with the 130XE.

Both Antonia upgraded machines 800XL/130XE no problems seen.

The only thing I have problems with is it's height as I like the normal cartridge size. Almost any other color than blue would be nice also.

I love the black color of the one I got, and the small size makes it even sweeter. And so far it appears to be working just fine with my U1MB XEGS. My only real problem is a minor one, and something I already mentioned, not being able to use CTRL+arrow keys for menu navigation which makes it a bit annoying when using it with a TK-II and PS2 keyboard. Other than that, I love it!

- Michael

• Like 1

I'm interested in this but would appreciate some more information as to what the Uno is/is not. Perhaps these questions have already been answered, but I couldn't find it in this thread. Maybe some written user docs exist?

IIUC, this is basically a cost-reduced version of the Ultimate Cart, that has most of the same features? Does it do anything that the Ultimate won't or can't do? The reason being is that I already have an Ultimate cart.

The ATR feature -- does the Ultimate do that also? As I understand the examples, if you have an ATR with the FJC/Altirra soft OS and load it then you can access it as a D1: drive? In essence, kind of like a MyIDE with the soft MyBios OS? But also easier to put some other things on the cart than with the MyIDE's (as is also the case with the Ultimate)?

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry,

You can find the user manual at:

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart

But yes, its essentially a cheap mini Ultimate cart, that can do ATRs as well (in a limited kind of way).

The project started life as an experiment, that turned out much better than expected, so I'm planning to write it up as a DIY hardware project in the next issue of Excel magazine.

I've also produced a small number of stand-alone PCBs for those interested. Although pretty much finished, its still early days in terms of testing in the wild, which is why I haven't really properly announced it yet or invited general orders.

Robin

• Like 2

Testing in my 800XL with U1M and VBXE. No issues whatsoever. I played Mule from an .atr, and several .car and .xex files.

Features that would be nice:

• Ability to load a .car and mount an atr. So you could do something like play with Altirra Basic or Action! and save your work to the atr.
  • Mount multiple .atrs
  • Stackable carts?

I can't get it to work in my Antonia 600XL, but neither does the Ultimate Cart or Side2 work in it, so I'm blaming the machine and not the cart.

Hello guys

Why don't you guys start a new thread for the UNO-cart and keep this thread more about the possibilities of the STM32F4? That would generate more interest in the UNO-cart.

Hi Mathy,

There have already been a couple of threads on the forum about the possibilities of the STM32F4. While talking about possibilities is interesting - unless someone has the time and inclination to actually build some hardware and try it, then these ideas won't happen.

I'm planning to start a new thread about the UnoCart in the future, but at the moment I'm happy with the level of interest... several of the UnoCarts so far have gone to users with an interest in adding new functionality to the firmware, or developing the cartridge for their own purposes.

The level of compatability of the existing firmware with the range of real Ataris out in the wild is of interest - if compatibility is not good, this is likely to be the case for any project based on a STM32.

Robin

Hi All,

I've just sent a draft article to Bob the Bug for Excel Magazine issue #4. The article describes how to build an UnoCart using a STM32 Discovery board (£16) wired up to the cartridge port and a SD card reader (and it runs the same firmware as the standalone PCB version).

If you're not already a reader of Excel magazine, please consider buying a copy - Robert has done an amazing job putting together the last 3 issues of this magazine, and it would be great to show him some support.

http://www.excel-retro-mag.co.uk/

I'm also looking for someone who already has a discovery board and would be willing to do a run through the draft article building the project and making sure the instructions are correct and complete. Send me a PM if interested? I'll send you a cartridge breakout PCB in the post so you won't have to spend much money to complete the project, possibly none if you've already got some jumper cables and an SD card breakout board!

Robin

EDIT - added link to excel magazine website.

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 1

Evidently, the Ultimate cart cannot boot (or even recognize) an ATR, at least with the firmware that I have in mine. Is that true? Therefore the Ultimate cart can't do the SIO activity that has been shown in this thread for the UNO?

Will ATR support be added for the Ultimate Cart owners at some point?

-Larry

• Like 1

Larry,

It will require a major rewrite of the Ultimate Cart firmware to squeeze in write access to the SD card (It's currently read only), and therefore allow ATR use. I've thought about doing it several times, but life is too short.

ATR reading (via an automatically installed Soft OS) was added to the UnoCart as an experiment and since it was easy to do (straightforward programming model, heaps of firmware space). I figured if it worked really well, it might motivate me to have a go at the much bigger job of adding it to the Ultimate Cart.

However, its not massively compatible with games, so I'm satisfied that its not worth the bother! ;).

Both projects are open source, so if anyone feels really enthusiastic, then they are free to have a go!

Robin

OK, I certainly understand. That's a good job for my several MyIDE versions, anyway. ;) I just have a penchant for "everything should work with everything!" And in truth, 99% of the time I use APE for such activities.

-Larry

I'd like it to work on the Ultimate Cart too.

The problem is there isn't a 100% way of getting ATRs to work via the cartridge slot. It requires a soft OS and then, in my experience with testing the UnoCart, most of the titles I'd like to run from an ATR (e.g. the Alternate Reality games & TMC) don't actually work.

When it comes down to it, you can't beat SIO2SD/SIO2PC for 100% ATR support.

Robin

Well, perhaps I'll get one anyway just to play around with it. Are your production plans complete or are you you going to outsource the build to someone? Or perhaps you will have a (new) separate order thread? A separate order thread seems useful...

-Larry