IGNORED

PDF - Repository/Library?

Omega-TI

PDF - Repository / Library  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a PDF library here at Atari Age?

• YES
    • NO
    • N/A - Other
  2. 2. If a new thread is started, would you consider adding a file or two to the community?

• YES
    • No
    • N/A - Other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The idea of a PDF library is to make it easier for someone to quickly find the exact instructions they need for almost anything associated with the TI-99./4A... modifications, upgrades, repairs, new assembly... you name it.

We have a LOT of knowledge here at Atari Age, it would be a shame to waste it, People move on in life, or even pass away, it would give us their lasting knowledge and they would leave a little something of themselves behind, while supporting the community in the present.

Please take a second to show your interest, or even possibly lack of interest.

The idea of a PDF library is to make it easier for someone to quickly find the exact instructions they need for almost anything associated with the TI-99./4A... modifications, upgrades, repairs, new assembly... you name it.

We have a LOT of knowledge here at Atari Age, it would be a shame to waste it, People move on in life, or even pass away, it would give us their lasting knowledge and they would leave a little something of themselves behind, while supporting the community in the present.

Please take a second to show your interest, or even possibly lack of interest.

The only thing is, the pdf would need to be specifically named to find the appropriate information-- shouldn't have to open 50 pdf's to find out how to plug in a widget. I really believe the reference's to the whtech site and or provided material should be sufficient though. Just my thoughts.

The only thing is, the pdf would need to be specifically named to find the appropriate information-- shouldn't have to open 50 pdf's to find out how to plug in a widget. I really believe the reference's to the whtech site and or provided material should be sufficient though. Just my thoughts.

I gotta make this quick as I have to leave....

I understand where you are coming from, that's why message #1 of the thread would be an INDEX. The user would just click on the description and it would take them directly to the message where the PDF file is located.

Also since this would be on Atari Age ANYONE COULD UPLOAD A FILE WHENEVER THEY WANTED.

User participation would be simple... but I hope no one would feel the need to make a PDF on how to plug in a widget! ;-)

I

I gotta make this quick as I have to leave....

I understand where you are coming from, that's why message #1 of the thread would be an INDEX. The user would just click on the description and it would take them directly to the message where the PDF file is located.

Also since this would be on Atari Age ANYONE COULD UPLOAD A FILE WHENEVER THEY WANTED.

User participation would be simple... but I hope no one would feel the need to make a PDF on how to plug in a widget! ;-)

I

Navarone? ;)

Edited by RickyDean

This is a good idea, not just for the TI but for any old computer or console. I voted "yes."

One potential problem with PDF is that they're not as innocent as the links and images that are currently allowed. It's possible to embed malware in a PDF. This might be why this feature hasn't been enabled on AtariAge.

The other main issue I can think of is the problem of curation and indexing. Who will do it? Who decides what stays and what should go? I assume that copyright concerns are not a big deal for this old stuff.

It's possible to attach PDF files to posts here. I would think if they were described and tagged intelligently, people would be able to find them via search results. The file size limit is 25MB.

Archive.org might be a better place for this kind of thing, since they're already set up to do this. https://archive.org/details/texasinstrumentsmanuals?and[]=creator%3A%22Texas+Instruments%22

ftp.whtech.com has many pdfs and other files including most of the hardware manuals many publications and also plenty of docs scanned already.. anything that you want uploaded there just send to my email (arcadeshopper at gmail) and I'll be happy to upload it there. Please make sure the list here includes links to the files there for completeness.

• Like 2

Is there a searchable index for whtech? I do love it, but everytime I run into a .zip or a .dsk or a .zip with .dsk in it, I feel like there is a failure going on. That is what motivated me to extract the 9640news disk newsletters to my website. Actually... I will send you those, we should place them as open .html files on whtech next to the .dsks... that would be good for the cause.

-M@

Archive.org might be a better place for this kind of thing, since they're already set up to do this. https://archive.org/details/texasinstrumentsmanuals?and[]=creator%3A%22Texas+Instruments%22

That might be fine for manuals and the like, but I didn't think Archive.org was interested in new documents, are they?

Since things have died down a little in the FlashROM 99 Repository, I guess I can take this on and see how it goes. If it takes off, we can get it pinned, if not....

With any luck we'll see some new stuff created and posted from users too!

I'll have the new thread up within the hour....

• Like 1