IGNORED

Atari Pack In Comic Books

post-47826-0-32795000-1475078700_thumb.jpgpost-47826-0-51060500-1475078707_thumb.jpg

A while back, I stumbled upon the last issue of the Atari Force comic book at a mom & pop comic book store. It's is really good condition. I don't come across them too often at comic book stores here. Have you guys seen them around?

The first I was aware of them was when I looked up the reference to an Atari comic book on the box of my Defender game and found out which comic books they were talking about. post-47826-0-50784000-1475078715_thumb.jpg

I've had that game for a really long time, I think the year or next year after it came out, but I've no idea what became of the comic book that was packed in with it. I've got the manual for it and the cartridge, which I still play now and then as it's one of my all-time favorites for the 2600. It would be cool to have the pack-in comic for it as well.

Besides the pack-in comic for Defender, which of the Atari Force comics, if any, would you guys say are the best to read and/or to collect? I suppose I could track down and collect them all, but space is a bit limited for me, so I tend to look for the best of a group of something I'm interested in instead: like the first one made, last issue, intros of new villains etc.

Thanks!

There's 5 mini-comics that are packed in with Atari games that are loosely based on the games (EXTREMELY loosely in some cases), and they are not related to the 20 issue run aside from characters, if memory serves. That run is a great read in my opinion, I don't think they're too expensive to pick up on eBay. They are supposed to be reprinted, but it's been a long time since that was announced, so who knows.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Update: I found three of the Atari Force comic books that came with the games on Ebay. I now have the first three issues! I've looked up which games came with comics (and vice versa) and have added two more to my collection. I've had Defender ever since it came out, but now also have Star Raiders and Galaxian. Star Raiders is crazy difficult, but the keypad controller is kinda cool. Frankly, I like Star Master a bit better because it's not as complicated. I love Galaxian! A great game that was ported well to the system. Found it complete in box at my friendly neighborhood game store for less than I thought I would. 

The comics are pretty cool. They don't really include anything from the games, other than in a general sense, but they are a fun read anyway.