IGNORED

ColecoVision A/V Mod Quiet with Atari Module

WoahDave

Hi guys,

Did the standard ColecoVision A/V mod and it works great and looks wonderful, but its SUPER quiet with the Atari module. Like, practically inaudible unless you totally blast the TV volume, and even then it's just barely audible.

Any ideas on how to amp the sound up with the Atari module plugged in?

I think I am getting my audio directly from the chip. I suspect that MIGHT be why? I did solder directly to one of the leads.

This is a long shot, but hopefully someone knows the answer. :)

Jay

Yep, the original ColecoVision Composite A/V Mod, which was based on how Coleco modded the Stand-Alone ADAM Memory Console ColecoVision board, was done incorrectly and the only option you have is to turn your TV volume way up or correctly tap it from C88 as Bmack36 mentioned.

If you have or get the Opcode SGM, you will experience the same low volume output.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have my modded CV apart right now, and I'm trying to figure out why it suddenly stopped working. I noticed this little orange thing appears to have developed a tumor of sorts, and I don't think that's normal. Can someone tell me what that is so I can order a replacement if need be?

Thanks.

looks bad....jpeg

That's an inductor. That style usually has colored lines painted on the back to tell you the value. The part number on the PCB silkscreen should be L something. 

But I'd be shocked if that's bad in any way. Inductors rarely go bad. You can get a cheap $20-25 automatic multi component tester off Amazon. Has a part number like TC1 or something like that. It can test inductors and you could check the value against the color code on the back. 

2 hours ago, nick3092 said:

That's an inductor. That style usually has colored lines painted on the back to tell you the value. The part number on the PCB silkscreen should be L something. 

But I'd be shocked if that's bad in any way. Inductors rarely go bad. You can get a cheap $20-25 automatic multi component tester off Amazon. Has a part number like TC1 or something like that. It can test inductors and you could check the value against the color code on the back. 

Thanks very much.