IGNORED

Cat Quest 2600 (WIP)

Alp

I'm also working on a NSFW parody of Hydlide, on the NES. We're keeping the "bumping" mechanics, if you were curious! :P

Are you sure this idea has merit? :twisted:

I mean, consider all the ideas you have. Maybe things no one has ever tried before. Clones of other games are a great starting point, but with a universe of possibility and artistic talent you could probably do better. No one even likes Hydlide. So you'd be parodying a game no one even cares about. If you consider a limited amount of time to create things like this, there are so many better ideas you could slot in there that would make a bigger impact.

(In my opinion.) :-D

• 3 months later...

Are you sure this idea has merit? :twisted:

I mean, consider all the ideas you have. Maybe things no one has ever tried before. Clones of other games are a great starting point, but with a universe of possibility and artistic talent you could probably do better. No one even likes Hydlide. So you'd be parodying a game no one even cares about. If you consider a limited amount of time to create things like this, there are so many better ideas you could slot in there that would make a bigger impact.

(In my opinion.) :-D

What's that? You want more Hydlide!?
Well, I guess despite having a working playfield kernel, I *guess* that I can put Cat Quest 2600 on hold, until I complete my port of Hydlide, to the 2600! :P

gallery_44171_1569_4848.png

But in all seriousness, Hydlide was *extremely* successful back in the day, selling more than 4 million copies. (More than most games could even hope to sell!)
There's a massive cult-following in Japan, due to Hydlide's popularity back then, so saying "nobody likes it" is factually incorrect. Hydlide is only hated in North America.

My own reason for choosing to parody Hydlide, was to make a larger, prettier game, using the same limited resources that Hydlide had, but using them more efficiently!

The 8x8 level of detail is thrown out, for one, allowing for larger, more "natural" looking, tiled environments to be made.

The intro screen isn't much to look at, but it's a throwback to Hydlide, with a large, empty field.

gallery_44171_1569_5040.png

Using just 43 tiles, 5 less than Hydlide used for it's *entire* world, I was able to construct this complex, Zelda-like scene!

The game is just NROM, so I only get 256 tiles, for every background in the game! Sprites get their own 256 tiles...

gallery_44171_1569_20455.png

I'd post the box art we have, but it has at least 5 visible cartoon erections, and I'd rather *not* get banned! :P

I'm not sure if the "bumping" sprite animations would be an exception though? They're tiny 16x16 sprites, "bumping" together! :-D

• Like 3

Very clever with the NES color palette. I even spent time making sure there's no more than 4 colors in a 16x16 metatile. I think the kernel may be doable without the brick border and have the information on the top and bottom of the screen. HP and Mana with p0/missile0 bar below HP word, while Mana would be left of the HP. them on top, Magic graphic icon as there's 5 magic in that game. Exp using PF graphic in between the gameplay area and the top hp/mp bar. Monster HP and info on the below the gameplay area.

As for the gameplay area, I think there's enough CPU time for venetian blinds colored asymmetrical playfield while keeping the monster and player single color as a grid like movement. Skip the pf0 update and updating 32 pf pixel and 2 single color sprite a line with hmove and sprite color change(p0 and p1 grp should be 0 at this line and not be updated) every 8 or 12 lines for the monster sprites may be enough. I think this trick would be difficult if the playfield is mirrored and the timing has to be right. No missile or ball needed I think, maybe use for a rock or a hole. I think with clever programming, the same monster graphic can be cloned close or far if there's 2 or 3 on a line since they are moving in a grid like. Or not, multiplexing sprite would be in the card. Then again, I am not a programmer until I get my hands dirty with the 2600 asm. Just assuming if this type of Kernel may work.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...