IGNORED

New7800HSC-Season 1 Game 1: Ms.Pac-Man

Mister-VCS

I almost decided not to join in this one since the arcade stick for my emulation rig is currently out of commission, and having to play Ms. Pac-Man with a D-Pad should probably be outlawed by the UN as a form of torture, but I still decided to give it a go anyway. :lol:

Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800): 45,190

Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600): 57,200

j0loZCc.jpg

CuWwrXo.jpg

• Like 1

43,000 I don't have a screenshot

You are the first victim of the new rules...

Tables are up to date - please double-check it!

Next round is 7800 only - less work for the moderator ;)

Game 3 (starts November 2nd) is the next 7800/2600 bonus round!

Weekend-bonus! Post a picture of your original 7800 and 2600 Ms. Pac-Man cartridges for 1 bonus point!

(runs until Monday-morning 17th)

post-19659-0-07208400-1476558482_thumb.jpg

The FINAL version of the scoring-system is online - the "participation-point-class" begins with place 9!

Edited by Mister-VCS

Weekend-bonus! Post a picture of your original 7800 and 2600 Ms. Pac-Man cartridges for 1 bonus point!

(runs until Monday-morning 17th)

attachicon.gifFotos-1491.jpg

The FINAL version of the scoring-system is online - the "participation-point-class" begins with place 9!

Not to cause trouble questioning the rules or anything, but wouldn't awarding extra points to people who own physical copies of the games being played bias the competition against people who play via emulation and discourage those who use emulators from participating? It's probably not a big deal, since we're not playing for any kind of big prizes, but I imagine that when the final points totals are tallied up at the end of the season that someone who used emulation to play their games might feel a bit sore if they ended up taking second place to someone who didn't play as skillfully as they did only because the person in first place got awarded a few extra points for owning physical copies of games.

Again though, I'm not trying to stir up trouble. It just seemed worth pointing out.

Edited by Jin

Not to cause trouble questioning the rules or anything, but wouldn't awarding extra points to people who own physical copies of the games being played bias the competition against people who play via emulation and discourage those who use emulators from participating? It's probably not a big deal, since we're not playing for any kind of big prizes, but I imagine that when the final points totals are tallied up at the end of the season that someone who used emulation to play their games might feel a bit sore if they ended up taking second place to someone who didn't play as skillfully as they did only because the person in first place got awarded a few extra points for owning physical copies of games.

Again though, I'm not trying to stir up trouble. It just seemed worth pointing out.

Ehhhh. I could make an argument that people who use emulation are at a gameplay advantage, as they are not constricted by the flaws that console controllers bring to the game. Not to mention the many other advantages that a PC could do for a dishonorable player. Not saying anyone is cheating of course.

• Like 1

Ehhhh. I could make an argument that people who use emulation are at a gameplay advantage, as they are not constricted by the flaws that console controllers bring to the game. Not to mention the many other advantages that a PC could do for a dishonorable player. Not saying anyone is cheating of course.

Eh, I don't know about that. It's not any harder to make or buy a nice controller for a classic console like the Atari 7800 than it is a PC or other emulation rig. Heck, it's much easier to find high quality control options for the Atari 7800 than it is my Wii emulation rig. There are quite a few people out there making excellent joysticks for the Atari 7800 that use real arcade parts, but not so much for the Wii. Anyway, it's Mister-VCS's high score club so he can run it however he wants and there's no point in arguing the matter. It is what it is.

Getting back on topic, this should be my last score update for this round.

Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800): 54,260

Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600): 68,290

394JuxH.jpg

DAoQp0P.jpg

Eh, I don't know about that. It's not any harder to make or buy a nice controller for a classic console like the Atari 7800 than it is a PC or other emulation rig. Heck, it's much easier to find high quality control options for the Atari 7800 than it is my Wii emulation rig. There are quite a few people out there making excellent joysticks for the Atari 7800 that use real arcade parts, but not so much for the Wii. Anyway, it's Mister-VCS's high score club so he can run it however he wants and there's no point in arguing the matter. It is what it is.

I think one bonus point is no big deal - just want to bring a little "life" in the HSC besides posting scores - maybe I should get a bonus for using the ProLines... ;) .

I think one bonus point is no big deal - just want to bring a little "life" in the HSC besides posting scores - maybe I should get a bonus for using the ProLines... ;) .

If you're using a Pro-Line 7800 controller then you deserve that bonus point! Now that's a handicap (or is it handicramp?) right there! :o

In all seriousness though, my apologies for letting the bad mood that I've been in the past week find it's way into the High Score Club. You're right, one bonus point isn't a big deal and it could be fun to have a little variety and special events involved in the HSC. You'll get no more complaints from me. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

I'd make the counter-argument that people who use emulation are at a gameplay disadvantage in that they're constricted by the flaws of the emulator, and some potential hickups with controller setup. Back when I played more seriously I had a hard time with robotron. To get the effect of having two sticks, I had to configure the buttons of my controller to be the second stick. This unfortunately enabled the ability press button combinations you'd normally not be able to press (up and down for instance).

A bonus point for the prolines is probably better, although I'd say we require to see the doctors note about your wrists to prove you used them :D

With robotron, this had the annoying effect of freezing the player's ability to shoot, anywhere from a couple seconds to until you died. Usually you'd be dead long before it fixed itself.

That being said, I don't particularly care either way. But all it's rewarding is those who own a flash cart and/or the original games. (Well, and those who have the ability to take pics of their screen in addition to that.)

You could argue that, but I think the results would continually prove you wrong. People using emulators consistently perform at the very top of just about every high score club here.

That is not me saying every player on emulator is a top level player, obviously that's not the case. My perception is that console players routinely chase top level emulator gamers though. The controller issue is huge, as a console gamer has to go to some extra lengths to improve their controls just to match what the PC affords from the get go.

Anyway, that's my take. I won't comment further in this thread. Definitely worthy of its own thread though. Game on.

As a former 7800 console owner (1986 - 1993) I struggled with the painline controllers. Made gaming quite challenging if I needed two fire buttons.

post-34056-0-53591100-1476810161_thumb.png

For Robotron I used two of these

post-34056-0-43847800-1476810195_thumb.png

Had I had one of these controllers back in the day I would more than likely still have a 7800 console

post-34056-0-65918700-1476810172_thumb.png

Ahh but these days I am an emulation player and I only use these two controllers

post-34056-0-66817300-1476810186_thumb.png

post-34056-0-77015400-1476810191_thumb.png

Point I am trying to make both ways have their pros and cons (and no I will not list them)