IGNORED

Ads for games that were mail order only

TheVgaTv

Mags like Electronic Games and comic books IIRC. Probably other electronic hobby, computer and entertainment mags of the time for stuff from Answer Software (Malagai, Gauntlet) and CommaVid's MagiCard too. Not sure if the MagiCard was advertised in a pamphlet to be found in their other games, but probably?

Atari Age was another for SQ: Waterworld, Crazy Climber, Quadrun and Rubik's Cube.

Christian bookstores (and mags I assume), radio and TV maybe for The Music Machine.

Some avant-garde record stores for the Data Age LP or was that info included inside some of the games? TV or radio ads as well?

Grocery stores for Chase The Chuckwagon and Kool-Aid Man. Ads and info were literally on/in Kool-Aid mix and Purina dog food bags. Were probably standees, tear-a-ways or some other form of advertising in the aisle for them too, but don't remember specifically off-hand. I do remember our Eagle grocery store had standees of Data Age, Apollo and U.S. Games games in certain aisles and endcaps. Probably the candy aisles. ;)

Same type of deal for Tooth Protectors.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I mentioned the Apollo, US Games (division of Quaker Oats) and Data Age standees places in aisles or endcaps... just had a flashback... they were located in the cereal aisle, duh!

Osco Drug (located inside Jewel grocery stores) also sold Atari games. They had a huge glass counter filled with them (bought Tutankham there) and behind the counter, they had games hanging as well. Quite a selection! Made sense marketing Atari games at grocery stores. We rarely ever went to the mall, but were at the grocery store every week. Loved being able to peruse that stuff when there! :love:

• Like 1

It's funny how that part of the video game frenzy has never really happened again. For that small window in time when Atari was all the rage, it seemed that many companies who you never dreamed would get involved in the video game madness jumped on board. I wonder how companies like Purina decided to give it a go? Was the Chase the Chuckwagon promo any kind of success? Interesting times for sure:)

• Like 1

Yeah, it was a real gold rush, not unlike the "dot-bomb" nonsense of twenty years later, where you could get lots of angel investment money for the dumbest ideas.

In 1983 or so, I wanted the Power Lords game for Odyssey 2 and ordered it for $20 of my own money, via a check mailed by my parents. It was delayed, so they sent me a coupon for 2 games of my choice. Then they sent another coupon, same deal. That's how I got Turtles, Acrobats, Killer Bees, and Attack of the Timelord. Good times.

• Like 2