IGNORED

C-64 Five-Pin to Eight-Pin Video Out conversion?

Airshack

I just picked up a C-64 with the older 5-pin (no chroma?) video output. Is there a way to upgrade the system to the 8-pin video out? Apparently this "improved"video option appears in the later models? Are there any VGA-out upgrade options such as TI-99/4A has with F-18A?

If your C64 only has a 5-pin DIN, it is one of the earliest models and worth $$$. Whether you can rebuild it to output S-Video, I'm not sure but you could sell it and buy 2-3 slightly newer C64's for the price of yours.

There is no simple VGA upgrade. The Turbo Chameleon 64 cartridge tried to cover this, but it ended up as an almost full FPGA emulation of the C64 minus the sound chip. You might be able to use an external converter too, and at the cost of 3-4 times the value of a C64 you might find a solution good and fast enough to produce a VGA/HDMI image worth the trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

If your C64 only has a 5-pin DIN, it is one of the earliest models and worth $$$. Whether you can rebuild it to output S-Video, I'm not sure but you could sell it and buy 2-3 slightly newer C64's for the price of yours.

There is no simple VGA upgrade. The Turbo Chameleon 64 cartridge tried to cover this, but it ended up as an almost full FPGA emulation of the C64 minus the sound chip. You might be able to use an external converter too, and at the cost of 3-4 times the value of a C64 you might find a solution good and fast enough to produce a VGA/HDMI image worth the trouble.

...I wish they were worth something. Here in Vegas your lucky if you can give one away. Bought one for $30 boxed and was given a ton of free stuff to go with it and i thought i almost paid too much. My first c64 was the later model and it came boxed as well and got it for $30 + shipping. Maybe on the bay you can get said $$$?

Well, is that a 5-pin DIN model, often known as Silver Label, or just one of the millions made breadbins with 8-pin DIN? It should be said the 5-pin ones doesn't seem to have been manufactured for very long before the computer was upgraded with S-Video capacity.

Silver Labels should easily be worth $100, perhaps far more on eBay.

VGA output from a C-64 can be done, but it's not all that easy:

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?start=15&t=53760

There are composite or S-video to VGA boards on ebay - but be very careful. Most of them are junk.

The big problem is many cheap converters do not like the progressive scan signal created by our old machines. They expect the input signal to be interlaced.

The big problem is many cheap converters do not like the progressive scan signal created by our old machines. They expect the input signal to be interlaced.

Not just converters, to my chagrin, but also little LCDs like this one. eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1507153095971?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150715309597&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] Screen is grey and scrolls. Ah, well.

Some of those LCD will work but it is hit and miss unfortunately. I went through 2 duds before finding one that will work with TurboExpress for LCD mod.

Yeah, I figure. I just do not feel like sinking $20 a shot to find the right one. Although, I will need one for my SX-64 project. *sigh*

Personally I would buy from seller in the same country to avoid return hassle. ie if you bought from China and it fails, returning with tracking can cost around $10 or up, not worth the return. But if you buy from seller in the same country, return shipping is much cheaper and usually seller are on the hook for this. Buy from one seller, if it doesn't work, bug the seller. They will either issue return shipping label or just issue refund. Then buy from a different seller.

Edited by 7800fan

Personally I would buy from seller in the same country to avoid return hassle. ie if you bought from China and it fails, returning with tracking can cost around $10 or up, not worth the return. But if you buy from seller in the same country, return shipping is much cheaper and usually seller are on the hook for this. Buy from one seller, if it doesn't work, bug the seller. They will either issue return shipping label or just issue refund. Then buy from a different seller.

True, but at the same time I cannot in good conscience hold a seller responsible if their kit does not work with my antiquated equipment.

I just picked up a C-64 with the older 5-pin (no chroma?) video output. Is there a way to upgrade the system to the 8-pin video out? Apparently this "improved"video option appears in the later models? Are there any VGA-out upgrade options such as TI-99/4A has with F-18A?

Ray Carlsen can convert your 5-pin C64 to 8-pin. He replaces the DIN socket and adds a component or two. However, in the conversion, you lose your RF. Then with S-video out, then you can use a common eBay converter to go from S-video to HDMI.

Writing from Roseburg, Oregon,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm