IGNORED

My Goddamn Sega Saturn

HoshiChiri

So, some backstory- when I was 13, I received my newest issue of Game Players magazine in the mail. It proudly announced that their December issue would include a free copy of the Christmas Nights demo disc for all subscribers, and had a little article talking about all the cool things Christmas nights would do beyond just being a demo. There were also ads from Sega, promising 3 free games for anyone who bought a Saturn that holiday season. I was STOKED. I thought Nights looked amazing, but I was a kid who just didn't have the money to go buy a new system on a whim. But with Christmas and my birthday so close together, I could use my holiday money to buy a Saturn. It'd be awhile before I could have the full version of Nights, but I'd have the 3 other games- they didn't really appeal to me, but they didn't seem bad. And if I saved Valentine's money and my Grandpa's invariably late birthday money, I could combine it with Easter and get Nights then.

Fast-forward to December. My magazine came... torn cover, no disc. Somebody decided to help themselves to my copy of Christmas Nights. I was heartbroken. Upset enough, in fact, that I abandoned my plan to buy the Saturn. It'd just remind me of the game I wanted but couldn't have. I suppose in the long run, it worked out socially- my parents got my a Playstation a couple years later, and I made a lot of friends over Final Fantasy. But part of me never really got over not having the Saturn. By the time I was out of school and had a job, Saturns (well, the games at least) were already moving out of my price range. I just kind of wrote it off as 'the one that got away', and left it at that.

Then I attended PAX Prime this year. The way the schedule fell, I didn't have to get into the expo hall on the first day- which, in turn, meant Pink Gorilla was sold out of most games I'd want well before I got there. I got home with a notable amount of my spending money intact. I loaded up Amazon and skimmed over my various want lists trying to decide if I wanted to splurge on something. And my list of Sega Saturn games (kept for wishful thinking & the hope of price drops) caught my eye. I wouldn't be able to get anything too crazy, game-wise... but I did have enough to get one or two. I could afford to start a Saturn collection. I could actually, really do it.

Ladies and gentlemen, after 20 years, I present to you- my Sega Saturn!

20161008 163050[1]

20161008 163118[1]

20161008 143751[1]

It's as basic as it gets. Just one controller, AV hookup. The battery was dead, but I just stocked up on 2032s a few weeks ago so that was an easy fix. It works wonderfully. The first games to arrive were, appropriately, the very same I would have had back in 1996. Which was the year I set it to test on- December 25th, 1996. Because 13 year old me deserved her Christmas back.
I have a copy of Astal on the way as well, I need to pick up a backup cart before I get too many more games. Which will take a while, as I've burned through most of the PAX money. But that's ok- I can wait. Maybe around Easter. :P
Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 7

So, some backstory- when I was 13, I received my newest issue of Game Players magazine in the mail. It proudly announced that their December issue would include a free copy of the Christmas Nights demo disc for all subscribers, and had a little article talking about all the cool things Christmas nights would do beyond just being a demo. There were also ads from Sega, promising 3 free games for anyone who bought a Saturn that holiday season. I was STOKED. I thought Nights looked amazing, but I was a kid who just didn't have the money to go buy a new system on a whim. But with Christmas and my birthday so close together, I could use my holiday money to buy a Saturn. It'd be awhile before I could have the full version of Nights, but I'd have the 3 other games- they didn't really appeal to me, but they didn't seem bad. And if I saved Valentine's money and my Grandpa's invariably late birthday money, I could combine it with Easter and get Nights then.

Fast-forward to December. My magazine came... torn cover, no disc. Somebody decided to help themselves to my copy of Christmas Nights. I was heartbroken. Upset enough, in fact, that I abandoned my plan to buy the Saturn. It'd just remind me of the game I wanted but couldn't have. I suppose in the long run, it worked out socially- my parents got my a Playstation a couple years later, and I made a lot of friends over Final Fantasy. But part of me never really got over not having the Saturn. By the time I was out of school and had a job, Saturns (well, the games at least) were already moving out of my price range. I just kind of wrote it off as 'the one that got away', and left it at that.

Then I attended PAX Prime this year. The way the schedule fell, I didn't have to get into the expo hall on the first day- which, in turn, meant Pink Gorilla was sold out of most games I'd want well before I got there. I got home with a notable amount of my spending money intact. I loaded up Amazon and skimmed over my various want lists trying to decide if I wanted to splurge on something. And my list of Sega Saturn games (kept for wishful thinking & the hope of price drops) caught my eye. I wouldn't be able to get anything too crazy, game-wise... but I did have enough to get one or two. I could afford to start a Saturn collection. I could actually, really do it.

Ladies and gentlemen, after 20 years, I present to you- my Sega Saturn!

It's as basic as it gets. Just one controller, AV hookup. The battery was dead, but I just stocked up on 2032s a few weeks ago so that was an easy fix. It works wonderfully. The first games to arrive were, appropriately, the very same I would have had back in 1996. Which was the year I set it to test on- December 25th, 1996. Because 13 year old me deserved her Christmas back.
I have a copy of Astal on the way as well, I need to pick up a backup cart before I get too many more games. Which will take a while, as I've burned through most of the PAX money. But that's ok- I can wait. Maybe around Easter. :P

If Segata Sanshiro heard this then!! He would have punched through your house and handed you a white one and patted your head while gleaming a tooth!!