IGNORED

Connecting a 1571 Drive to a PC

TemplarXB

I tried hooking up my C128 after more than a decade since I last used it. It won't display anything when I power on. When I hold down the Commodore key, it will boot to the purple C64 screen but displays a single exclamation mark near the center of the screen. As best I can tell it probably has ram issues.

At this point, I think I'd just like to try to connect the drive, a 1571, to my PC and try to retrieve some old files and use it on an emulator. What's the current best way to connect it, assuming my 1571 evens works?

I have not tried a ZoomFloppy but I do have the xu1541 which you can find on eBay: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3222767297761?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=322276729776&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Caveat, though: on my laptop the driver seems a little temperamental and occasionally requires a reboot after being disconnected. Also, I believe the ZoomFloppy supports JiffyDOS, but I would not quote me on that. I have considered that my purchase was misguided and I should have gotten the ZoomFloppy, but the xu1541 works well enough for my wants and needs.