IGNORED

Desoldering an original SDX cartridge?

Larry

My upgraded SDX cartridge has one issue, the new 27C010 eprom is slightly thicker than the original PROM that came in the cart. The result is that the cartridge shell will not close correctly. I am tempted to desolder the original 28-pin socket and install a low profile precision socket in its place. I've been unable to find a "low profile" 27C010.

Has anyone done any desoldering on these ICD cartridge pcb's? (If so) are they particularly subject to delamination? I have a HAKKO desoldering gun, and I do have a spare pcb, but still I'd certainly prefer not to mess up the existing pcb.

Or -- any other ideas?

-Larry

Hi Jon-

The top of the eprom is blocking the shell. It sits about .020 - .030" higher than anything else. I can feel the shell rock across the center of the pcb. Jon, would it be possible for you to measure the thickness of the 29EE010. BTW, Your EE must be quite a bit thinner or else the white wire traversing the rom would cause an issue.

A couple of dims from a vernier:

Original PROM height above pcb = .335"

27C010 Eprom height above pcb = .364"

Thickness of 27C010 = .180"

Thickness of original PROM = ".155"

I can burn a 29EE010, so that may be my best option. There are likely thinner eproms than the one I've used, but finding a thinner one might be challenging.

-Larry

Jon, would it be possible for you to measure the thickness of the 29EE010. BTW, Your EE must be quite a bit thinner or else the white wire traversing the rom would cause an issue.

Top of 29EE010 is exactly 9mm proud of the PCB, so with the wire we're looking at no more than 1cm. Oh... and the chip package itself is 3.5mm thick.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Well, I went back to "Plan A" The old socket desoldered without a hitch, thanks to the Hakko. Here is the new measurement shown with the previous:

Original PROM height above pcb = .335"

27C010 Eprom height (with old socket) = .364"

27C010 Eprom height (with new socket) = .345"

Not quite as low as the original PROM, but the cart now closes completely, and works great "after surgery."

-Larry

P.S. Still think I'll get a couple of the 29EE010's, and thanks for the nice picture of yours.

• Like 4

My upgraded SDX cartridge has one issue, the new 27C010 eprom is slightly thicker than the original PROM that came in the cart. The result is that the cartridge shell will not close correctly. I am tempted to desolder the original 28-pin socket and install a low profile precision socket in its place. I've been unable to find a "low profile" 27C010.

Has anyone done any desoldering on these ICD cartridge pcb's? (If so) are they particularly subject to delamination? I have a HAKKO desoldering gun, and I do have a spare pcb, but still I'd certainly prefer not to mess up the existing pcb.

Or -- any other ideas?

-Larry

Hi Larry, I have assembled (soldered the parts on) many SDX 4.22 carts, and I never had problems with the traces lifting from the board. Watch the heat, be careful, and you should be fine.

• Like 1

Very true. I have also had to remove and replace components on the SDX board due to a faulty component or an "oops moment" on my part.

The boards are fairly sturdy, Better than an XE or XF551.

But, having said that, you should treat any board as if it is as fragile as an XF551, and you'll be fine. You can never be too careful when working on any P.C.B.