IGNORED

Pizza Chef

swordquest plus

Agreed. It's more involved then the average 2600 game, which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Games like Fathom & Private Eye for example, work, the detailed graphics back up the gameplay & make it easy to understand the tasks at hand. Pizza Chef could have benefitted & gone further with a graphics improvement. Would have polished it off nicely & made it a great game. 8K of EPROM space can do wonders.

If you look at the typical cliche' 2600 "composite screen shown" in the the Zimag catalog on Rom Hunters page, it depicts what may have been the intended or eventual vision of the programmer.

Even with the instruction the game makes little sense to me.

1. Where are the ingredients listed? Is there something missing from the instructions? Maybe the colors must match with those in the oven?
  2. How are the utensils related to the ingredients?
  3. What are the left, blue rectangles in the oven room used for?

Notes:

1. The difficulty switch is reversed. A should be defaulted in Stella.
  2. The 25 variations only seem to affect the colors of the tables in the oven. Or is there something else?

Even with the instruction the game makes little sense to me.

• Where are the ingredients listed? Is there something missing from the instructions? Maybe the colors must match with those in the oven?
  • How are the utensils related to the ingredients?
  • What are the left, blue rectangles in the oven room used for?
Notes:
  • The difficulty switch is reversed. A should be defaulted in Stella.
  • The 25 variations only seem to affect the colors of the tables in the oven. Or is there something else?

Yeah, some things make zero sense.

"If he manages to get all the right items one of the eight tables will turn invisible and one credit will be added at the top of the screen for Antonio´s order list". What?

But how do you know which one of the three ovens is the correct (hot) one?

Is it just a random pick?

8)

To be honest, I don't know for sure. I'd assume that the oven that is correct depends on the game variation you're playing, but I haven't played the game enough times to find out. Maybe I'll go play it some more times to find out.

I found that there is more logic than described in the instructions, e.g. each ingredient needs the right utensil. But there seems to be no logic, e.g. cheese needs the cup.

But first we have to make up some names for the utensils and ingredients:

Utensils:

• Knife or Chopper
  • Plate or Bowl
  • Cup
Ingredients (the ordering is just for me):
  • "pink ball" Tomatoes? (needs Knife)
  • Cheese (Cup)
  • "green bar" (Plate)
  • "white rectangle" Onions? (Plate)
  • "grey fish"? (Knife)
  • "green ball with orange top"? Olives? (Plate)
  • Mushrooms? (Knife)
  • "grey-yellow arc"? (Knife)
  • Spices (Cup)
  • Sausage? (Knife)
Example for game variation #1:
  • Pickup the yellow cup.
  • Pickup the yellow cheese and bring it to the yellow tables (repeat 4x), a yellow table will disappear
  • Pickup the grey (with red top) spices and bring it to the grey tables (repeat 4x), a grey table will disappear
  • Try one of the three ovens
    • If it is the right one, you won
    • Else you have to pickup the last ingredient again (spice or cheese) and try another oven
Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Thomas:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/67348-zimag-emag/?p=831647

IMO:

The yellow triangle = cheese (as seen in the ZiMAG ad)
The green bar = salad

The orange arrow = mushroom

The white rectangle = onion

The green ball with orange top = artichoke (as seen in the ZiMAG ad)
The green-yellow arc = peperoni
The 'rolling pin' = sausage

The gray jar with orange lid = cooking pot with tomato sauce / pan with dough (as seen in the ZiMAG ad)

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Thanks! According to the instructions, which describe variation #1, the grey bar with orange top are spices. But maybe they made that up themselves without knowing what the programmer/"designer" intended.

At least I got the olives definitely right. :)

Lastest findings:

• The 25 variations indeed only define the 8 ingredients required (BTW: cheese is always required, see below)
  • Top top oven has a 50% chance to be hot, the other ones only 25%
  • The top line of the chef's hat must be above the top of the oven
The 25 pizza variations (in the order they are displayed in the oven):

Variation    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sausage      .  .  .  2  .  .  1  .  .  .  .  .  .  4  .  .  .  .  .  .  2  .  .  .  .
Spices       4  2  2  2  2  2  1  2  2  .  2  .  .  .  .  .  .  2  .  1  .  .  4  2  2
Peperoni     .  .  .  .  2  2  1  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
Mushroom     .  2  .  .  .  .  1  2  .  .  .  .  4  .  .  .  .  2  2  1  2  .  2  .  .
Olive        .  .  4  2  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  4  .  .  1  .  .  .  .  2
Anchovy      .  2  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  4  .  .  .  .  2  .  .  .  .
Onion        .  .  .  .  .  .  1  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  2  .  2  2
Green Pepper .  .  .  .  .  2  1  2  .  4  .  2  .  .  .  .  .  .  2  1  .  .  .  .  .
Cheese       4  2  2  2  2  2  1  2  2  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  2  2  2  4  2  2  2
Tomato       .  .  .  .  2  .  1  .  4  .  2  2  .  .  4  .  .  .  2  2  .  2  .  2  . 
Number 5 for me, please. icon_smile.gif Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

So why did this company have 3 names: ZiMAG / Emag / Vidco ?

And what games did they actually release? According to Atarimania they made 4 original games? Immies and Aggies, A Mysterious Thief, Pizza Chef, Spinning Fireball? And they made the Copy Cart.

I bought this from German ebay for 12 Euros a while back, it was half hiding under a Space Invaders boxed game:

Copy%20Cart%20incl.%20I%20want%20my%20Mo

There's a spine label saying Distributed by Video International Inc. Suite 401, 1220 Broadway, New York, NY 10001

Edited by high voltage

So why did this company have 3 names: ZiMAG / Emag / Vidco ?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/67348-zimag-emag/?p=3085065

ZiMAG:
707-111 Tanks But No Tanks
708-111 Cosmic Corridor
709-111 ?
710-111 I Want My Mommy (KidStuff series)
711-111 Dishaster
712-111 ?
713-111 Pizza Chef
714-111 ?
715-111 Immies & Aggies
Emag:
GN-010 I Want My Mommy
GN-020 Dishaster
GN-030 Tanks But No Tanks
GN-040 Cosmic Corridor
GN-050 Pizza Chef
GN-060 Immies & Aggies
GN-070 A Mysterious Thief
GN-080 Fire Spinner
Vidco:
Pizza Time
Immies and Aggies
A Mysterious Thief
Fireball Spinner

8)

They sold VHS video cassettes as well. Some of their cartridge shells have Vidco molded into them, some have Zimag.

They probably at one point originally intended to release all of those games in the USA/NTSC market, but as was the case with many companies back then, it didn't happen.