IGNORED

Paper Mario: Color Splash

Rick Dangerous

I've decided to revisit this game. Paper Mario is such a good series, I hate to not give this one a full chance. I played for about an hour tonight and am becoming more acclimated to the battle card system, even though I still dislike using the gamepad screen for that. The mechanic of 'flicking' the card into play is cumbersome, as I have yet to get it to work on a single 'flick'. I have to swipe the screen over and over routinely, it is quite annoying. The game has that same Paper Mario charm and cuteness though, and I was always in love with the graphical style of the series.

Anyway, it's my plan to play this through to completion.

My Gamepad has a tendency to get dirty and smudged from kid use so if I'm too lazy to clean it every flick just reminds me of that. It's demoralizing. Evidently not enough to get up from the game and clean it, though. :P

I love the dialogue in the game and it's one of the few where I enjoy finding new characters to see what they say. I think that balances out the arbitrary shoehorning of the flick mechanic.

Edited by omegadot

I'm having quite a bit of fun with Color Splash. But, the interface of combat just never gets any more fluid, even after lots of attempts. There's just no speeding up the process of looking down at the gamepad, scrolling through battle cards, and then filling them with paint, and then swiping them into battle. I am definitely going to finish the game all the way, but in the future when I think about replaying it, I am definitely going to remember the cumbersome interface and probably not play it.

I'm right in the middle of Color Splash myself (just finished the first boss). The interface is clunky, but it's not as bad as I feared. My annoyance is with getting 100% on each level. Some of the colorless spots are almost impossible to see (one in the Indigo Underground took me forever to find).

I've been playing this with my son (4) and we're enjoying it. Sure, the combat system gets repetitive after awhile but the worst part for me is not painting and flicking, but swiping through all of the cards in your inventory. When you have a ton of cards it becomes time-consuming and in some battles if you take too long the enemies will takes cards from you. I wish they would've grouped similar cards and put a number on it saying how many you had or something.

Beyond that, the puzzles are hard enough to keep it interesting and easy enough to not be boring. The writing is humorous and there are some genuinely funny moments. The artwork is also very nice. Each area is very distinct, which keeps things fresh. The bosses are pretty difficult. We've just finished our second boss and it took 3 tries (just like the first boss). I'm just glad the Save blocks are strategically placed so there's not a lot of repetition when it's Game Over.

Edit: I also have to add, I wish there were more opportunities to spend coins. By the time you beat the first boss, your coins and cards are probably going to be maxed out. I'd be happy to be able to trade coins for paint in the boss levels, for example.

Edited by Emehr

• 3 weeks later...

I defeated the game last night. I was relieved to finish this up, it was getting too tedious, but also pathetically easy. The black Bowser fight at the end was challenging only in it's annoying timing issue with blocking. It's an ok game that offers alot of hours of gameplay. I don't anticipate playing this one anytime in the future, I didn't even %100 this one, I saw no benefit to doing so.

Yeah I had the same feeling towards the end. I had to do the Bowser fight twice because of that stupid block timing (I basically ran out of good cards). I didn't 100% it but I did do the six banners to get the secret ending which was not worth it (it's literally a 5 second clip). Fun game but not nearly as good as the previous ones (never played the 3DS one though).

About the same really. They both had their flaws and overstayed their welcomes. I didn't like the card mechanic in Color Splash. I just want to attack enemies, not worry about how many cards I have left. You also don't gain any experience in this game which bothered me, so avoiding enemies became the norm.