IGNORED

Pondering Getting a PS4

Rick Dangerous

Toying with the idea of getting a PS4, but a few things have been keeping me from delving too far into modern gaming (Have a Wii U.)

My main concern is that i'm really cheap and will not/refuse to pay for an online monthly subscription service for online gaming. How much functionality does the PS4 have if you don't pay to be a member of PSN Gold or whatever it is? I play one player games or local multiplayer with friends, I really have no interest in online gaming. Even for free on the Wii U I pretty much never use it. Also, the PS4 seems to have taken a step back from the PS3 in multi media capability (Still enjoying my 1st gen PS3 fat.) Does it play 3D blu rays? Can you still stream media from a USB stick? What about always online requirement games? I have my gaming room in my basement and it will be Wifi only. Will that create lag and problems if I am trying to play one player games that are required to be online. Can I take a PS4 game to a friends house to play it, or is that no longer a thing?

I am interested in the PS4 mainly for it's VR capabilities, which I view to be the first real progress in gaming in a long time over just "slightly sharper graphics" each generation. But if the hassles are too big forget it, don't really want to deal with most of the pratfalls of modern gaming (pay for online, updates, dlc, always online, in game purchases, pay to win, etc. etc. etc.). Of the two modern consoles the PS4 seems less cumbersome in this regard than the Xbone and that's why i'm asking. Thanks!

It plays 3D Blu-Rays just fine - not sure about streaming from USB.

I don't have a lot of games for mine mainly because most of the library is so geared to multiplayer and I just hate playing multiplayer with random people (if there's some kind of AA league, I might be up for that), but there is still a decent selection of single player games. I most often use mine as a Blu-Ray player, though. I sometimes consider the fact that I may have wasted my money, but like you I'm also looking forward to VR and already owning a PS4 means the PSVR will be the cheapest way in (and some of the games do actually look good).

I don't see why you couldn't take a game to a friend's house and play it. Games don't tie themselves to a particular PS4. Not sure if you can sign in on a friend's PS4 and access your save games or not, though. I haven't tried that.

You can play a game on another PS4. Better yet you can log into your friends PS4 and download your digital games. He can play them too on his own account which is really cool and I'm surprised Sony allows this. I don't have any games that require an Internet cconnection.This includes digital games.

I got a PS4 cheap and I'm glad I got it. If you have a PS3 and/ or Vita it makes it a lot more sense to buy the PS4 because of cross buys.

My main concern is that i'm really cheap and will not/refuse to pay for an online monthly subscription service for online gaming. How much functionality does the PS4 have if you don't pay to be a member of PSN Gold or whatever it is? I play one player games or local multiplayer with friends, I really have no interest in online gaming. Even for free on the Wii U I pretty much never use it. Also, the PS4 seems to have taken a step back from the PS3 in multi media capability (Still enjoying my 1st gen PS3 fat.) Does it play 3D blu rays? Can you still stream media from a USB stick? What about always online requirement games? I have my gaming room in my basement and it will be Wifi only. Will that create lag and problems if I am trying to play one player games that are required to be online. Can I take a PS4 game to a friends house to play it, or is that no longer a thing?

PSplus: You dont really need it although getting 'free' games every month is kind of nice. From what your going to do your not going to be missing anything.

Media\Blueray: The new media player plays media off USB drives and it plays bluray disks and 3D disks. Ripped ("pirated") media though could be a problem (I've had issues with some older ripped MP4's).

Streaming: remote play or the plex app on PS4 is solid.

Always Online: There are no always online single player games that I know of unless they are designed for that purpose (ESO, Destiny, Warframe etc). Just check the games description. Some online games don't require PSplus, its all in the description.

Lag: Nothing bad that I've experienced, wired or wireless, but that usually depends on your home network and the load\traffic on the games servers (EA, Blizzard etc) or the people your playing with.

PS4 account and digital games: As punisher says. Basically you can register one PS4 and anyone can play your games on it, ie. you can take it anywhere and play your games on it. If you want to access your stuff on your friends PS4 you need to login to it and download your games. If you own two PS4's, one PS4 is primary (anyone can play your games) the other is just a normal spare (only you can play your games, other people need to logoff and you need to login to play whatever game you guys want to play in your library).

Some of the VR stuff is looking pretty cool, I dont have the money though. There's a horror game I want and of course Battlezone

If PSVR is your main reason for purchase, I'd suggest spending some time with an in-store demo unit first. Buying a PS4 and PSVR is a lot of money and there's high risk of buyer's remorse if you're not happy with the VR games/experience or feel any simulator sickness.

Also, for me, the library of games available for PS4 has been pretty disappointing so far. I'm not interested in online multiplayer games... or the latest sequel in the major gaming franchises... or 'remasters' of previous gen games... it just doesn't seem like there are many original exclusives yet for the PS4 (or xbone). And, most of the interesting indie games are also available for the Vita/PSTV/PS3 or Wii U. There were several new PS4 IPs shown at E3 but I think most of them are 2017 releases.

Beyond worrying about the hardware and ecosystem, should make sure there are enough PS4 games that you really want to play.

Toying with the idea of getting a PS4, but a few things have been keeping me from delving too far into modern gaming (Have a Wii U.)

I am interested in the PS4 mainly for it's VR capabilities, which I view to be the first real progress in gaming in a long time over just "slightly sharper graphics" each generation. But if the hassles are too big forget it, don't really want to deal with most of the pratfalls of modern gaming (pay for online, updates, dlc, always online, in game purchases, pay to win, etc. etc. etc.). Of the two modern consoles the PS4 seems less cumbersome in this regard than the Xbone and that's why i'm asking. Thanks!

I think the improvements between the PS3 and PS4 are pretty incremental, although the overall feel of the PS4 is more refined such as you can keep the PS4 in rest mode and it will auto patch the games you have, or use a smart phone to login to a friend's PS4 with your account. Google 'PS4 Tips and Tricks'; it's a pretty robust system.

I absolutely love the PS4 and I pay for PS+, Netflix and Amazon Prime...but I don't have normal Cable TV, so it saves me money. The PS4 games so far have been pretty great IMHO. Just picked up the Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20th Anniversary Edition yesterday and the graphics continue to blow me away on it.

• Like 2

I absolutely love the PS4 and I pay for PS+, Netflix and Amazon Prime...but I don't have normal Cable TV, so it saves me money. The PS4 games so far have been pretty great IMHO. Just picked up the Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20th Anniversary Edition yesterday and the graphics continue to blow me away on it.

Agree, its pretty sweet especially comparing it to the now clunky molasses PS3. Blows it out of the water, I cringe every time I turn on the PS3. Literally takes less than a minute to boot up and watch Netflix or play Pac-Man on PS4. Its like the perfect pick up and play something quick console. Speaking of Tomb Raider, you must do a video on just Naughty Dog games someday. Tons o' fun ;)

• Like 1

Considering you have like 20+ consoles/computers, I'm kind of confused about your being cheap statement, not to mention that the entry level for PSVR plus PS4 is at least $800 minimum, but if you're reluctant to pay a monthly subscription fee then just don't, although I feel that's almost a really closed minded attitude about gaming in general considering the capabilities of the system. Offline games connected to WiFi for update purposes only will obviously have no lag issues unless its the system itself or you're just waiting for the update to download and install.

As Boog has suggested, you definitely need to try it in-person first before chucking such an absurd amount of money on something you may not even like -- though I haven't really heard of anyone saying they just don't like it. Most everyone thinks the technology is cool and fun, with the exception of the few that get motion sickness from certain games or certain headsets.

Thanks everyone, feedback has been phenomenally helpful. Here are my thoughts on the pros and cons of snagging a PS4 so far:

PROS:

-Most/all games don't have online only requirement (I see more and more xbone games requiring this and it pisses me off.)

-Mutlimedia-Will play 3d blue rays and media from a USB stick (seems now to be up to par with PS3 cababilities)

-Digital Games and Saves-The ability to play your games at a friends house via your account is awesome! That is always the one thing that has peeved me about digital copies. I have a 2TB external hardrive for my wii U, and it's always annoyed me that you can't travel with your games. Whats the point of downloading mario party 10 if you then can't take it to a friends house to play? PS4 seems to be nailing this one on the head as far as what the consumer would really like.

Cons:

PSPlus: Still not paying for online; it's just a cost benefit analysis for me. I really don't use it that much even when it's free (Wii, Wii U, PS3-have probably spent less than 50 hours online gaming) so just not worth it. I'd rather play against other humans on my couch drinking my beer. Very cool to know that some games don't require it.

Library: Not a big deal for me at this point because the are maybe 3-5 games (and a few VR games) that I would consider must have and have time to play anyway. I spend the bulk of my time playing 8/16/32 bit stuff anyway.

Advice taken: I will wait for the PS4 pro...only a month away. And will definitely demo an in-store VR unit before taking the plunge on any of it.

Thanks peeps!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Getting ready to pull the trigger. What is THE cheapest way to get a PS4 these days? Thanks in advance.

The Slim at $299 I think

Are you still looking for VR? There have been good deals on the v1 headset lately. I got mine for $199 standalone. I already had the camera so I didn't need that. The v2 fixes an HDR pass-through issue, but if you don't have an HDR TV, then v1 still works great, especially at the reduced price.

It took me years to embrace modern gaming. I would recommend getting one though. I have a PS3 and 4. I would love a Switch also, I just won't shell out that much for one. Most Ps4 games are either or when it comes to solo or collaborative or online or whatever. I think I like the dual shock 4 better than than the 3 now too.

Sony has promotions for PS+. I got my year subcribtion for € 29,00 at their black friday promo. For less than 2,90 a month I get at least 3 games..I don't know about times before, but so far there has been always one game that I consider a keeper on local hardrive. The others remain in the library and can be downloaded when I want to play them. So totally worth the money imo.

Getting ready to pull the trigger. What is THE cheapest way to get a PS4 these days? Thanks in advance.

Dude, don't take this the wrong way but you definitely put a loooooooooong time into considering your purchases :)

The cheapest way to get a PS4 is going to be used on Ebay, but obviously you take your chances with that.

If you want new with a warranty and a store guarantee, then you can get a 500GB PS4 Slim at Wal-Mart for $269.

I really do recommend VR too, especially now with full games like Resident Evil and Wipeout Omega having VR modes, but it is obviously an extra expense.

• Like 1

If you're not into online gaming then it should be fine. You do need a plus membership for online multiplayer on the PS4 but I highly doubt that would affect any local multiplayer. (Assuming you can find any games that still do local multiplayer of course.)

Not sure about multimedia stuff for the PS4, as I have a bluray player for bluray/dvd (don't have any 3d blurays since I don't have a tv that supports it, but would like to get one - of course those are getting rare.)

Not sure which games are online only for single player. If such a thing is disclosed properly I'd have never bought it in the first place. Hard for me to verify without actually going ahead and disconnecting the PS4's wires to my router.

I think people recommend getting a Pro unit for using the VR gear, although I don't have the PSVR yet so can't confirm how it plays on a base model. Thinking of getting a Pro at some point anyway which drives the costs of VR up pretty high (new console + vr set)

BTW I disagree with the people who say that PS+ isn't worth it. I rarely play online, but I love getting "free" games every month. Same for Xbox Live Gold. I don't buy a lot of console games, but I enjoy the "subscription" stuff they've dished out.

You get to keep the XB360 games from XBL Gold even if you stop subscribing.

Yeah, ps+ (or live gold) is a must. Especially if you have current and last gen systems. That's like 48 games a year (Don't know if ps+ still, or ever supported vita, but it could be more than that)

I'd say, if you can't get at least one game you enjoy out of 24+, you,re probably a bit to picky about games, or just don't enjoy modern consoles.

Oh yeah, you can play single playered games without ps+ (with a few exceptions like online only games, Destiny, eso, and the like) heck, it's been a few months since I've done anything online with my ps4 outside of grabbing free games online. Reminds me, I need a new ps+ card.