IGNORED

Pondering Getting a PS4

Rick Dangerous

PS+ supports PS3 and Vita till march or april (forgot what the email exactly said) 2019. So about one more year of 1 or 2 games a month for those systems.

True

Unfortunately the best days for freebies are behind us ...they don't stack so if you missed them, you missed them.

Sony still has a lot of Flash Sales with deep discounts, though.

Well I ordered a PS4 Pro, a Gold PS4 Controller, and the three uncharted games from Bestbuy.com yesterday. So I guess I am no longer pondering!!

I don't have a 4k TV and probably won't for 10 years or more but I get decades out of consoles so figured i'd go for the newer model.

I did similar as I've only had my PS4 Pro for a few months. It is interesting because I too had been on the fence about it and since I still have quite the backlog of games for my ps3 that I've not even started, I wasn't in a rush. Then, I found a link for one of my favorite games being offered in physical form for the ps4. Rez Infinite. I immediately bought it and along with my wife picking up the latest Deus Ex for the PS4 for only $8 on clearance at a Target last year, I figured I should look into getting the PS4 after all. I ended up with getting a PS4 Pro along with an extra controller and 1TB SSD. The original HDD in my PS4 pro has never been spun up since I've owned it as I immediately installed and setup the SSD on mine before I even configured it up for my AV system. I also do NOT have a 4k TV in my game room....yet. But I will admit that when some extra coin comes along my way, I'm very tempted to pick up one of those TCL 4k TVs. My only issue on why I haven't is that my current Sony Bravia is less than a year old that I use now, and my Bravia can do some stuff that the TCL can't. The main one being that my Sony will allow me to set a 4:3 aspect on digital inputs. So I can force HDMI and Component video sources into 4:3. This is important for my consoles that I have running through my converters out to HDMI. Most of the converters out there do NOT set the aspect properly so if your TV doesn't allow it, you are stuck with a stretched 16:9 image. I play a lot of Genesis, Saturn, and Atari and for me the stretched image just won't do.

anyway, I've had a lot of fun with the PS4 so far but only own about 9 games for it. Most recent pick up is Dragon's Crown Pro which I've fallen in love with that game again! Yes, I also own the PS3 original but I really like the game! I made sure to fill out the survey for the PS4 version that is available and made doubly sure to mention at the end of the survey that Atlus and Vanillaware need to localize Princess Crown already!!!!

True

Unfortunately the best days for freebies are behind us ...they don't stack so if you missed them, you missed them.

Sony still has a lot of Flash Sales with deep discounts, though.

Not necessarily. For the first few years of PS+ on PS4, they gave mostly indie games that many hadn't heard of (some real gems in there though)

Now that some of the early PS4 games are several years old, they have been giving out a lot more big-named titles. I think this will only continue as more games age.

Well, it depends what you like. I prefer the low-profile indie titles, myself. But yeah, they just dropped DARK SOULS, which is not for me but seemed to elicit moans of delight from the mainstream audience.

That is in preparation for the re-master coming out on Friday. Once the re-mastered version is out, there isn't any reason to pick up the original for the ps3/ps4 at that point.

Well, it depends what you like. I prefer the low-profile indie titles, myself. But yeah, they just dropped DARK SOULS, which is not for me but seemed to elicit moans of delight from the mainstream audience.

I prefer the indies too, because too often I already had the big games (Bloodborne, LBP3, Until Dawn) But I'm in a minority with that opinion

Hey travstouchdown,

You gonna try No Mans Sky on your PS4?

Probably not. It looks good but I just don't have time for these kind of games these days.

Linear, chapter based games with lots of save points work best for me at this stage in life....haha. The wife and kid don't give me too many hours of gaming in a row these days, it's more an hour or two here or there.

• Like 1

Hey travstouchdown,

You gonna try No Mans Sky on your PS4?

I actually did just pick up NMS for my PS4 since it was only like $20 new at BestBuy about 2 weeks back. I did put quite a few hours into it first day I picked it up. I at least got the point where I got the blueprints for the hyperdrive and was able to build it. But sadly I've no fuel for it to use it so... I'm still cruising between the 3 or 4 planets I've initially got available to explore. Even then I've barely scratched the surface with any of them. I do think the sentinels are way too sensitive though as I can barely mine anything it seems without them getting bent out of shape on me! It also appears that each planet I visit triggers the sentinels differently. So on one planet they don't like me mining materials, yet on another they get ticked if I take out plants for carbon...etc...

Also is there really a point in them still firing at me when I'm in my ship? I mean, it doesn't seem as if they can actually harm me or the ship when I'm in it, so what the heck?!

I actually did just pick up NMS for my PS4 since it was only like $20 new at BestBuy about 2 weeks back. I did put quite a few hours into it first day I picked it up. I at least got the point where I got the blueprints for the hyperdrive and was able to build it. But sadly I've no fuel for it to use it so... I'm still cruising between the 3 or 4 planets I've initially got available to explore. Even then I've barely scratched the surface with any of them. I do think the sentinels are way too sensitive though as I can barely mine anything it seems without them getting bent out of shape on me! It also appears that each planet I visit triggers the sentinels differently. So on one planet they don't like me mining materials, yet on another they get ticked if I take out plants for carbon...etc...

Sentinel sensitivity varies a lot by planet. There are some planets were you can do lots of mining before they get ticked off, and others where you can barely snap on twig (so to speak) before they come after you

Sounds like your have an unlucky solar system :)

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not. It looks good but I just don't have time for these kind of games these days.

Linear, chapter based games with lots of save points work best for me at this stage in life....haha. The wife and kid don't give me too many hours of gaming in a row these days, it's more an hour or two here or there.

Ha. Pretty much the exact same thing for me. That's one of the best things about modern games. Most of them allow you save just about anywhere, or save automatically for you, and the PS4 allows you to halt a game anywhere and put it in standby mode. That works great when you occasionally only get to play for 20 or 30 minutes at a time.

The other day I picked up a consolized MVS with a 161-in1 multi cart. I'm loving the thing, but it kind of sucks not being able to pause the game in any way. I've had to give up on a few final levels because my wife or son "needed" me that that very moment.