IGNORED

A really dirty 800XL - how to clean it?

kiwilove

It is incredibly dirty - so far off white that it's a dirty brown - the black dark plastic also needs a good clean.

What is the ideal cleaning solution? Can it be cleaned at all.

It does seem fine in working order otherwise. While this is not my machine and I just borrowed it for some PAL

testing - I still like to see it cleaned as I need to wash my hands after using it for just a little bit now and then.

Any tips would be welcomed.

Harvey

Disassemble the case. I would use warm water and dish washing detergent (something like Dawn). I always use a plastic scrub brush. The only issue is the paper label on the bottom half of the case. If you do it in stages though, you can keep the water off the label.

You can also use a hair dryer to melt the glue on the bottom sticker and peel it off. Run it through the dish washer. Hit the white part with scrubbing bubbles and a Mr Clean sponge (gently). Dry, then use hair dryer to re-melt glue and re apply the bottom sticker.

Mine looks like new.

It is incredibly dirty - so far off white that it's a dirty brown - the black dark plastic also needs a good clean.

What is the ideal cleaning solution? Can it be cleaned at all.

It does seem fine in working order otherwise. While this is not my machine and I just borrowed it for some PAL

testing - I still like to see it cleaned as I need to wash my hands after using it for just a little bit now and then.

Any tips would be welcomed.

Remove the electronics completely such that the case is separate. Try to remove all keys from the keyboard. Essentially, you should now have all plastic parts. Use a big bucket the case and parts fit in, fill with warm water, add dishwasher detergent powder (for dish washers), insert parts, stir well, wait for five minutes, potentially repeat. You are usually left with brown water and a clean case. (-:

Note well that you should better not expose the electronics to this "soup".