IGNORED

Genesis/Mega Drive Recommendations?

So. Not to sound noobish. It's been a while since I had a Genesis. I recently picked up a GOAC cart adapter. Sort of a cheap stop gap while hunting a nice console. Seeking solid title recommendations.

In the mail are:

Castlevania Bloodlines

Zero Wing

Thunder Force 3

Alien Soldier

Golden Axe 3

Splatterhouse 2

TMNT The Hyperstone Heist

Of course the other Splatterhouses are on the want list, as well as Golden Axe, and Lightning Force. There's even a couple pirate ports on the want list. Lol. Heard good things about Fatal Labyrinth.

Any other solid must haves (besides Sonic)?

I think I have played Outlander before. That's pseudo Mad Max isn't it?

Yeah. It's a weird combination of driving sim, fight driving like Road Rash but in a car, and side scrolling fighter/platformer. It's not a great game, and can get repetitive, but it's an interesting concept and not a cookie cutter game.

So. Not to sound noobish. It's been a while since I had a Genesis. I recently picked up a GOAC cart adapter. Sort of a cheap stop gap while hunting a nice console. Seeking solid title recommendations.

In the mail are:

Castlevania Bloodlines

Zero Wing

Thunder Force 3

Alien Soldier

Golden Axe 3

Splatterhouse 2

TMNT The Hyperstone Heist

Of course the other Splatterhouses are on the want list, as well as Golden Axe, and Lightning Force. There's even a couple pirate ports on the want list. Lol. Heard good things about Fatal Labyrinth.

Any other solid must haves (besides Sonic)?

Play your games first, and then we'll give you more recommendations.

• Like 1

Anything not run on Everdrive? I know there's some SMS titles that require the SMS controller, but haven't heard of an incompatible ROM.

The most glaring I can think of off the top of my head is Virtua Racing. But, if you have a 32X, it will play that version.

Honestly, if you don't want to shell out too much money, a flash cart is the way to go. Genesis prices are skyrocketing quickly, particularly for the best games on the system.

The Everdrive is worth it in general I think. I like collecting carts though. It's not all purely functional. Though if I am thinking right, the Everdrive pretty much supports the entire cartridge library from Master System, Game Gear (I think, SMS and GG used Z80), Genesis/Mega, and 32x (if you have the add on). For the ability to load a cart with a huge chunk of the library... that's hard to say no to.

The Everdrive is worth it in general I think. I like collecting carts though. It's not all purely functional. Though if I am thinking right, the Everdrive pretty much supports the entire cartridge library from Master System, Game Gear (I think, SMS and GG used Z80), Genesis/Mega, and 32x (if you have the add on). For the ability to load a cart with a huge chunk of the library... that's hard to say no to.

I get that you would need a 32X to play 32X games from an Everdrive on a Genesis, but are you saying that you can play SMS/GG games from an Everdrive on a Genesis without extra hardware?

I've been playing a lot of sports titles lately, I don't know why =)

Some of them are pretty great, though. I mean, obviously, games like NBA Jam are awesome even if you don't like sports. Or Tecmo Super Bowl.

I just wish I knew how to win. Maybe I shouldn't pick Detroit all the time.

Sort of a cheap stop gap while hunting a nice console.

Make sure to get a model 1. Model 2 usually has poor video and audio.

If you're lucky, you can find a model 1 revision that takes to overclocking well (mine does not).

Heard good things about Fatal Labyrinth.

Weird, I thought everyone hated that game.

It's very interesting from a historical standpoint, because it is quite possibly the first Roguelike ever released for consoles, but otherwise...I guess if you can find it cheap enough, it's fun for a quick romp now and then, but there are better Roguelikes out there.

Anything not run on Everdrive? I know there's some SMS titles that require the SMS controller, but haven't heard of an incompatible ROM.

Virtua Racing, because of its special chip, and a few games that are just too big, like that Ultimate Mortal Kombat hack, and Pier Solar.

There's a few games that have copy protection issues, mostly late sports titles I believe, but most of them have hacks or alternate ROMs that will run.

There are a few SMS titles that have a bug that prevents them from working with a Genesis controller, but they all have patches to fix it.

Technically SG-1000 ROMs will run, but the Genesis itself doesn't have the hardware required to run them properly.

...the Everdrive pretty much supports the entire cartridge library from Master System, Game Gear (I think, SMS and GG used Z80), Genesis/Mega, and 32x (if you have the add on).

There is an ED for the Game Gear, but as far as the MegaED, most GG games won't run in SMS mode without a bit of hacking.

...are you saying that you can play SMS/GG games from an Everdrive on a Genesis without extra hardware?

Yep!

As I mentioned above, GG games will only work if they've been hacked to run in SMS mode, SG-1000 games won't work, and the Genesis won't play SMS FM music without a lot of hardware modifications.