IGNORED

Genesis/Mega Drive Recommendations?

Yeah, and I found a few dead ones too.

I think I have a hit, but I was asking about verified sources (as in someone tried it, and all was good).

However, I need to do some browser configuring, as attempting to snag them causes and error I haven't seen before (something to do with html5, need to research it).

I think I have a hit, but I was asking about verified sources (as in someone tried it, and all was good).

Regarding the GG-to-SMS conversions, it would be easier to just seek down individual ROM hacks (they have all of them at SMS Power). There really aren't that many, and a lot of them are kind of glitchy. There's only a few I really play, like Frogger.

You know, while we're on the topic, there is one game I was wondering about...it's the Snail Maze game (or whatever it's called) that was built into the SMS BIOS. I searched a few times, but couldn't find out if there's a way to run it as a regular SMS ROM.

If you're playing hacked ROMs, ok.

The only SMS ROMs that require hacking are the ones with the controller glitch, and it would be the same way with a Master ED + converter.

Edited by Asaki

yes the genesis contains a z80 and a psg chip (not too sure it might have been asic at that point) , the video shares its roots with a TMS blah blah blah that originally inside the SG1000 (and colecovision and MSX systems)

16 bit genesis games treat the z80 and psg as a sound coprossesor and since the video is an evolution of an evolution of an existing off the shelf vdu it may even be possible ... in theory to run SG1000 games on it (or with some serious magic tricks colecovision as well heh)

so until the saturn sega were the kings of backwards compatible (and frankly if saturn's ram cart slot played genesis games I would have bought that without a second thought instead of the playstation I did get)

Edited by Osgeld

16 bit genesis games treat the z80 and psg as a sound coprossesor and since the video is an evolution of an evolution of an existing off the shelf vdu it may even be possible ... in theory to run SG1000 games on it (or with some serious magic tricks colecovision as well heh)

Maybe with some mods that nobody has tried yet?

But we discussed it in another thread (I believe it was here?), Genesis can't do the SG-1000's video, and allegedly even on an SMS the video wasn't perfect. Sound works, IIRC, but no video.

Never knew about a built in on SMS. That's news to me. Back when I had a SMS, I never fired it up without a cart.

It depends on the BIOS. Snail Maze, I believe you had to unlock with a code, but later BIOS revisions have built-in games that load right up, I think.

Edited by Asaki

The Genesis has a really deep library. Any particular genre you like?

I probably find myself playing NHL 94, Streets of Rage 2 (or hacks of it), Columns, Golden Axe, or Ms. Pac-Man when I just want to play for a quick session, and then whichever game I'm playing at the moment when I have more time. Right now it is Buck Rogers.

I echo all the recommendations for a Mega EverDrive. Also, definitely go RGB with it. It is really easy using a SCART adapter - no modifications necessary.

I never played the console games but the SSI rpg's on "pc" (played it on x86 then mac now) were a hoot, though keep in mind they are western style RPG games in the likes of D&D

I cant imagine the console ports to be bad, the PC ver of countdown to doomsday could originally run on my turbo XT like it was nothing, so change the top down to isometric add in more colors and sound (I had a sound blaster but the original only supported pc speaker and midi) menus's were mostly navigated via arrow keys so its a fit for the gamepad (outside of typing in numbers)

Edited by Osgeld

Buck Rogers always kinda intrigued me, though the heavy menus seemed like a turnoff. Now that I can play it anywhere, I'm a little more likely to start it. Is it fun once you get rolling?

It is but you will find yourself getting part way through and restarting if your party is not balanced well. I would suggest 2 medics it makes things easier in the long run.

Buck Rogers always kinda intrigued me, though the heavy menus seemed like a turnoff. Now that I can play it anywhere, I'm a little more likely to start it. Is it fun once you get rolling?

The SSI Gold Box games, specifically Pool of Radiance series are more favorite RPGs, so I'm biased. So far Buck Rogers on the Genesis is great - I love the tactical combat. It's simplified from the PC version, definitely worth playing. Read the manual first though because it's not terribly intuitive. If you like it, GOG has almost all of the Goldbox games optimized for running on a modern PC. There's also a program called Goldbox Companion that brings some convenience features to it, although I rather play them in the original format.

I like RPGs, both J and Western. Shmups, beat em ups, action. Most are pretty fun.

Here are a few I've liked:

RPGs I really liked are Phantasy Star 2 & 3. 4 is on my play list, but it is supposed to be great. Shining Force 2 was one of my favorite RPGs in a long time, it's a tactical one. The other Shining Force series I still need to play.

Beat em Ups, the Entire Streets of Rage Series plus the mods for them. Soronline.net has all kinds of mods for them. Golden Axe 2&3. Comix Zone

Action Ghouls & Ghosts. Target Earth. Aladdin.

I never got deep into the shumps, but I really liked Phelios, it's set in Greek Mythology. That's probably the one genre I need to go back and start really playing through.

• Like 1

My Genesis library is very small, but at the moment I own Hard Drivin', Phelios, Shadowrun and TMNT: Tournament Fighters. Shadowrun on the Genesis is one of my favorite classic action-RPGs. A few of the games I'd eventually like to have are D&D: Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Saturday Night Slam Masters and Haunting: Starring Poulterguy. I'd own the Phantasy Star and Shining Force series but for now I have them playable on the Ultimate Genesis Collection on PS3, so.. maybe sometime later just 'cause I like 'em. = )

Shadowrun is high on the want list. D&D sounds like it would be fun as well.

My Genny library when I last had a Genny was not very large, but it was pretty darned good. I've got a solid line on a clean Model 1 Mega Drive from a buddy, so I'm stoked about that.

Likely to invest in an Everdrive, though not 100% positive which revision would be best. Sure, the latest one is probably the superior model, though it is much more expensive than the previous revision.

There are games that I personally still like the idea of having as physical copies, because I'm a dinosaur. Lol.

Likely to invest in an Everdrive, though not 100% positive which revision would be best.

I always forget which model is which, but I have the older, cheaper one. It runs everything fine, but it takes a little while to flash each ROM into memory (loading one that's already in memory is instant), and there's no CD RAM support.

I'm assuming the newer model runs ROMs almost instantly, like the EDN8 does, which is awesome...but I guess it just gives me more incentive to keep collecting carts.