IGNORED

Rain of Terror High Score Challenge

erichenneke

why after few seconds the shooting becomes slow ?

I believe what you are referring to is the gun shot mode.

There are 3 modes:

1) Sniper shot ( one shot on screen at a time )

2) Burst shot ( two shots on screen at a time )

3) Automatic ( continuous rapid fire )

The game begins in Burst shot.

If you shoot a Beacon (glowing objects that periodically appear on the mountain ridge) you will power-up your gun mode to the next level.

If a paratrooper lands, your gun mode will be downgraded to the next lower level.

So you want to power-up to Automatic mode, and then keep it as long as possible by preventing paratroopers to land.

• Like 2

Minor improvement: 412,500. Got to see Mission 10 (although it didn't last too long.)

Played on my Atari 1200xl, paddles and game loaded on my AtariMAX flash cart. I've found the controls to be a lot smoother on real hardware than when played in emulation. The planes seem easier to shoot down, as well.

The more I play, the more I'm enjoying this game. Awesome job!

post-9712-0-46437900-1477831684_thumb.jpgpost-9712-0-82649700-1477831695_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

ONLY ONE MORE DAY TO GO!!! Challenge ends November 6th, end of day.

Updating the standings again as of 11:15PM (CDT) on November 5th...

post-38281-0-94343200-1478405759_thumb.jpg

Looks like Deteacher is still commanding a healthy lead going into the home stretch.

Here are a few pointers...

1) Clear early missions as quickly/efficiently as possible, by doing so the rate of chute-drops will not ramp up as quickly

2) Bonus missions occur every 4th round so try to exit the prior mission (3,7,11,etc.) with Automatic gun mode

3) Get good at shooting planes, and then shoot as many as possible even when not required (1000 each)

4) When required to shoot fallers, power-up to Automatic and then exploit paratroopers who jump directly over your gun

(shoot them all the way down, each hit counts!)

5) Always note right away when a mission requires you to kill landers, in many cases you must first intentionally let some land before there are enough to clear the mission. Good to realize this right away.

Edited by erichenneke
  • Like 1

Any chance you can share your anti-jitter code? I'm not really interested in the dynamic portion of it, just the anti-jitter code. I didn't have much luck when trying to code my own.

I implemented some anti-jitter in Castle Crisis. Basically, each paddle has a direction flag (value is going up or down). If the new reading shows movement in the same direction as the last reading, then it's applied. If it's in the opposite direction, then it must be a step of 2 or greater to flip the flag and be applied. The reading is ignored if it's the same value as before, or a step of 1 in the opposite direction. This stops the +/-1 jitter from happening.

• Like 1

I implemented some anti-jitter in Castle Crisis. Basically, each paddle has a direction flag (value is going up or down). If the new reading shows movement in the same direction as the last reading, then it's applied. If it's in the opposite direction, then it must be a step of 2 or greater to flip the flag and be applied. The reading is ignored if it's the same value as before, or a step of 1 in the opposite direction. This stops the +/-1 jitter from happening.

Excellent - that was the missing piece. I was only applying a delta, not a delta + direction. Thanks much.

• Like 1

Here are the new standings at 5:30pm (CST) as we slide into the final hours of the challenge...

theRealBountyBob made some huge strides today and takes the lead!

attachicon.gifROT High 1106.JPG

I'll accept any submission as valid as long as it is "still November 6th" anywhere in the world.

<Waves the white flag> I can't improve on my score...and Walking Dead is coming on in 30 mins. Congrats TRBB! You're always a fierce competitor. :)

• Like 2

CONGRATULATIONS TO THEREALBOUNTYBOB!!!

WINNER of the Rain of Terror High Score Challenge!!

A big thanks to all who participated and kept the competition coming even into the final day!

The final outcome stands at:

post-38281-0-54536800-1478571678_thumb.jpg

therealbountybob will be receiving the first copy of the physically packaged version of Rain of Terror!!

post-38281-0-64563400-1478571780_thumb.jpg

Even though the challenge is over, I'd still love to continue to see more high scores posted. :)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...