IGNORED

Strange Error With Pac-Man

manhill

guys, i got a pac-man cartridge for my atari 2600. strange thing is, pacman doesn't eat all of the pacs on the screen. some just stay there when he's moving over them. did someone ever discover such a strange bug before? i always thought a cartridge is working or is not working, but what could cause such a strange behaviour of the game?

I think that most probably it is caused by some bad ram bits in the console. If that's the case, you have to replace the 6532 "RIOT" ic.

i only have this problem with this one cartridge. i have another pac.man cartridge that just runs fine, also my 40 other games all run fine. the atari system is ok 100%, that's what really makes me wonder.

Edited by manhill

I've had a cartridge or two show curious behavior after something inside got fried. I don't remember the specifics now, but I had a Defender that didn't quite play correctly, even though other Defender cartridges on the same console played fine. Currently I have an Up'n Down that renders all the cars invisible, but otherwise plays "fine". Up'n Down on the same consoles with a flash cart plays like it should, with visible cars.

If you have access to a different console, I'd suggest trying it on there. If you see the same behavior there, write it off as a fried cartridge, then sell it to Albert as a donor shell.

I was thinking this msg would mention a problem with the screen being blue, pacman looking a little washed out and the fruit rotten :)

You'll get random results when things start to go wrong in the rom. Your prob lucky the game starts at all. Did you try to clean the contacts with isopropol alcohol?