IGNORED

The Monk - 3d place Abbuc Software Competition 2016

popmilo

Well, Abbuc competition is over for this year and we got some really nice games!

Congratulations to all who contributed with their work and lets hope next year will be even better!

My entry "The Monk" reached third place so let's discuss it here.

Video of compo version in action:

There's much of planned gameplay in it, but still a lot more can be added. I'll keep working on it in next couple months and let you know of progress in this topic.

What's best about the game for me is that I've learned a lot and plan to use this type of graphics for next projects. There is lots of potential in this type of colorful, low-number-of-bytes/screen type of graphics. Everything draws quickly, it doesn't take lot of space so fast, arcade games are possible with this approach. Will share details about coding stuff later this week.

Wish you many good hours spent with the game and I hope you enjoy it.

ps. If you get stuck feel free to ask ...

Cheers!
Vladimir

Download:

monk_1.3_plus_story_and_instructions.zip

• Like 16

Thanks for this interesting exploration game. The Monk surprised me while playing quite often: First I only ran around and killed some zombies. Later I found out more and more and collected 18 different items so far. And I learned what to do with each item (except flowers). Even bridges can be built - see the screenshot in the zip file.

Some suggestions for later versions:

* Save and load option (maybe needed on a real ATARI)

* More convenient item selection (as already mentioned in the ABBUC compo thread)

* Some goals/tasks to achieve

Edited by StefanD
  • Like 2

Save game was also on the todo list :)

I guess raw dump of large chunk of memory (kind of emulator snapshot) would take a lot of Kbs on disk but would work for sure and would be easy to make.

It will make more sense when there is more enemies and tasks. Till then my guess is it's kinda good to start from zero every time. Makes you appreciate that new sword or shovel much more ;)

I guess raw dump of large chunk of memory (kind of emulator snapshot) would take a lot of Kbs on disk but would work for sure and would be easy to make.

You could go a similar way like "Seven Cities of Gold". Create a "huge" map on a disk and work on that. Technically challenging and sophisticated if done parallel to the game play but also very interesting...

• Like 1

You could go a similar way like "Seven Cities of Gold". Create a "huge" map on a disk and work on that. Technically challenging and sophisticated if done parallel to the game play but also very interesting...

I did think about that and realized I would rather try it on cartridge with eeprom :)

That's also on my list of projects for Abbuc hardware compo. Cartridge with game on it that can be updated and with save game functionality.

In year 2022 my guess ;)

• Like 7