IGNORED

Serpentine 7800

RevEng

I'll make sure Al can put it into the store, if he is interested. :)

Awesome as usual, CPUWIZ!

Having Serpentine on cart is a must, IMHO.

RevEng has done a most excellent job with this port and glad your hardware can bring it home to the masses. :)

Hmmm...Haven't seen (cartridge) labels for this game (yet), unless I'm missing something.

Wondering if any artwork has been put thought of and brought to fruition by any person(s) in the community.

:ponder:

• Like 2

Hmmm...Haven't seen (cartridge) labels for this game (yet), unless I'm missing something.

Wondering if any artwork has been put thought of and brought to fruition by any person(s) in the community.

:ponder:

I caught a certain female (ShyOne) messing with this earlier...

Pirate :mad:

IMG_2139.JPG

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry I'm reviving this and sorry for coming late to the party again, but I just saw this on a Youtube video and had to try it... it's pretty much perfect, seems to play pretty much the same as the C-64 version I'm used to (including the slowdowns!) with just a slight update to the graphics.

One thing that could be improved though... on the Apple II and C-64 versions, snakes that are shorter than the player snake are displayed in green instead of red. Do you think you could do this on the Atari 800 as well? I think all it would take to do this is to draw those snakes with the frog's pallette... or isn't it as simple as that?

[...] on the Apple II and C-64 versions, snakes that are shorter than the player snake are displayed in green instead of red. Do you think you could do this on the Atari 800 as well? I think all it would take to do this is to draw those snakes with the frog's pallette... or isn't it as simple as that?

I take you meant 7800 instead of 800, since the A8 version already uses the same enemy snake red+green colors as the ports you mention, unlike my 7800 port which uses red+white.

Serpentine uses character graphics for the maze and snakes, so these elements need to share the same palette. (transparent, blue, white, red) The A8 has a trade-off the 7800 doesn't have in it's character modes - characters above 127 display with a 5th color (or inverse video) at the expense of only being able to display 128 characters.

In theory it would be possible to use the 7800's higher color 160B mode and have unique colors everywhere, but it would require major overhaul of the Serpentine code, since the character pixel width would differ.

In the end, I think the enemy snakes turning white works just as well (IMO red/white is actually a clearer flag than red/green) even if it means the port doesn't match 100% with the others.

• Like 1

Ah, OK, I see... I was assuming that the green snakes were red on the A8 version as well. I guess on the C-64 they do it the same way, but use the color RAM to color the green snakes green and the maze walls purple. So you're just keeping the character grid as on the A8 and C-64 (where it probably hasn't changed much as well) displaying it the 7800 way. That's why it looks and pretty much identical except for the frog and especially the eggs, which both use sprites on the C-64.

You wouldn't necessarily need 160B mode, you could also display the green snakes separately, but that would probably also require a major overhaul since they are now just integrated with the character grid and displayed in another color on the A8 and C-64, but not as separate objects.

Thanks for the explanation!

OK... one more thing I thought about concerning POKEY support... sorry if I'm offending anyone here, but I think for this game a POKEY on cartridge would be a wasted effort. I've noticed that with this game, the sound varies from version to version (much more so than the graphics), and there's not much more going on than some blips and short one-voice melodies (probably since the original version is coming from the Apple II). So with that level of sound, I think the TIA would be just fine. It doesn't matter if it sounds exactly the same as one of the other versions (i.e. the Atari 8-bit version it's derived from) or a bit differently, since in fact it's different in every version anyway, and since there's not much music in here either, it doesn't matter if it's a bit out of tune or played at a different pitch or in a different key. Just my 2 cents...

In fact I wonder why the binary is 48K... I think the C-64 cartridge version is only 16K and still has all the 20 mazes of the original Apple II version. But of course on the C-64 they could decrunch quite a bit to the big 64K RAM which is always there while the 7800 doesn't have nearly that much...