IGNORED

Serpentine 7800

RevEng

Looks great, Al! :thumbsup:

OK... one more thing I thought about concerning POKEY support [...]

The game defaults to TIA sound, and only uses a POKEY if one is detected at $450. (ie. if you have an XBoard or XM) I worked hard on the TIA sound, and I believe hardly anybody will notice a difference between the two modes, other than a somewhat higher key to keep the TIA music in-tune.

In fact I wonder why the binary is 48K... I think the C-64 cartridge version is only 16K and still has all the 20 mazes of the original Apple II version. But of course on the C-64 they could decrunch quite a bit to the big 64K RAM which is always there while the 7800 doesn't have nearly that much...

The cart format is 128K because it needs on-cart RAM, and that's a common hardware format to get it. The game code itself uses somewhere in the 24k neighborhood. That's with 2 different sound engines, SaveKey+AtariVox+HSC high score saving, and the ROM providing the "OS" font. I'm pretty sure I could squeeze that down a fair bit, but nobody would see the difference, and my time is valuable to me.

• Like 6

The game defaults to TIA sound, and only uses a POKEY if one is detected at $450. (ie. if you have an XBoard or XM) I worked hard on the TIA sound, and I believe hardly anybody will notice a difference between the two modes, other than a somewhat higher key to keep the TIA music in-tune.

Well, I think your TIA sound is great! I actually like it better than the sound of the released C-64 version because it's more varied. On the C-64, aside from the slithering of the snakes, you only hear blips and blops of various types, but in the same timbre. The SID definitely could have done better than that! The frog sound could have been replicated with a square wave with a narrow pulse width (e.g. $10 or so), but they didn't do that, they only used the triangle wave for everything. In fact I think they cut a few more corners on the C-64 version in order to keep the size under 16K because it should fit in a cartridge.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think there's a mistake on the shop page... you write that Serpentine is an 128K game, but at the same time its size is 32K...

I'm probably to blame for part of that confusion. The game proper is 32k, but it uses the 128K+RAM ROM layout, because it's a common format with RAM.

• 2 years later...

Heya @RevEng, just a point of interest. I was recently trying all the Pokey enabled games with my Concerto cart and I discovered that Serpentine has a white background when playing through the cart. (Timestamp: 38:56)

From what I can tell, it looks like games that don't set the the background colour explicitly to another colour are taking the white background from the Concerto Cart and using it in the game. This also happened when I tried Knight Guy on Board, the title screen had a white background as well (Timestamp: 1:11:01). It's now been fixed in his latest update for the game.

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Heya @RevEng, just a point of interest. I was recently trying all the Pokey enabled games with my Concerto cart and I discovered that Serpentine has a white background when playing through the cart. (Timestamp: 38:56)

From what I can tell, it looks like games that don't set the the background colour explicitly to another colour are taking the white background from the Concerto Cart and using it in the game. This also happened when I tried Knight Guy on Board, the title screen had a white background as well (Timestamp: 1:11:01).

- James

Hahah, I just re-watched the Knight Guy on Board footage and you were in the chat and made a comment already when that happened so you already knew about the issue. Never mind! ?

- James

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I really do appreciate the heads up, so thank-you.

Honestly I'm not sure it's entirely warranting a new release here. IMO Concerto is actually the correct place to fix this one. Both the NTSC and PAL BIOS explicitly set the background color to black before booting the cart ROM. 7800 games shouldn't need to replicate things the BIOS has already done on their behalf, simply because a flash cart has inserted itself into the boot chain and left things otherwise. I'm not talking about memory patterns that happen to be left behind by the bios, but rather, registers the BIOS has intentionally hit with specific values before jumping to the cart.

I'm not objecting to explicitly fixing this in the future with new releases. I've already updated 7800basic to default to black, since it costs a few bytes of ROM in a reserved area. But it's a work around for a situation that's the fault of the loader.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, RevEng said:

I really do appreciate the heads up, so thank-you.

Honestly I'm not sure it's entirely warranting a new release here. IMO Concerto is actually the correct place to fix this one. Both the NTSC and PAL BIOS explicitly set the background color to black before booting the cart ROM. 7800 games shouldn't need to replicate things the BIOS has already done on their behalf, simply because a flash cart has inserted itself into the boot chain and left things otherwise. I'm not talking about memory patterns that happen to be left behind by the bios, but rather, registers the BIOS has intentionally hit with specific values before jumping to the cart.

I'm not objecting to explicitly fixing this in the future with new releases. I've already updated 7800basic to default to black, since it costs a few bytes of ROM in a reserved area. But it's a work around for a situation that's the fault of the loader.

That's an excellent point. It makes sense that a loader should replicate the experience of booting a game from a retail cartridge as much as possible. Sounds like something that could easily be fixed in a future firmware update on the Concerto. Thanks for the information about the BIOS, very interesting!

- James

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing SERPENTINE on tomorrow's (Fri Apr 16, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1464894186_20210416-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.f5a3b061ccf7635bd0b688dcd320cade.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 6:48 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

From what I can tell, it looks like games that don't set the the background colour explicitly to another colour are taking the white background from the Concerto Cart and using it in the game. This also happened when I tried Knight Guy on Board, the title screen had a white background as well (Timestamp: 1:11:01). It's now been fixed in his latest update for the game.

- James

I also noticed this with my Concerto. It made the game look like an O2 one. :)

Hopefully this gets addressed soon.

On 4/15/2021 at 4:39 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing SERPENTINE on tomorrow's (Fri Apr 16, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1464894186_20210416-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.f5a3b061ccf7635bd0b688dcd320cade.jpg

Just watched the replay (through Serpentine, need to finish and watch entire episode).  Serpentine is a very challenging game.  I prefer to play it with my Edladdin Supreme 78 All Play4/8 joystick.  As mentioned during the episode, this game definitely has that "one more try" to it. @ZeroPage Homebrew this deserves to be added to your 7800 library. 

I  love the gameplay and graphics of this game.  The mazes have a very nice look to them.

<Edit> Forgot to mention the nice manual with “Tips” section.  I always like when the developers add a “Tip” section. Gives their games a BITD feel.

E6408456-8450-4D92-8EB5-B3FFFAC0A0D0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1