IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

Yeah, some parts are good - and OK, other parts are off and don't work together.

Not a bad attempt altogether.

Harvey

The "off sound" has to do with the old "sa_pokey.dll. Which has many wrong "sound creation" routines. Which means the sound inside RMT was wrong. The results now got better using the "apokeysnd.dll" .... so the sound in RMT fits more to the real thing.

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

After a long time, finally a song that is not terribly out of tune :-) And really not a bad one. I'd try some shallow and slow vibrato for the lead voice if the frequency resolution allows. Or maybe some portamentos here and there.

Edited by pseudografx

After a long time, finally a song that is not terribly out of tune :-) And really not a bad one. I'd try some shallow and slow vibrato for the lead voice if the frequency resolution allows. Or maybe some portamentos here and there.

Can you please stop talking nonsense ;) The latest tunes weren't "out of tune". If you don't like them, you could name them "out of taste".

If You're "pre loaded" from the ATARIONLINE.PL thread, particular the "Cybernoid 2" tune is perfectly adjusted to the C64 original.... referring to intentional "out of tune" sounds. You know, a PIANO can only sound like a PIANO, if it IS slightly out of tune. You won't get the needed chord, but some adding sound resulting unwanted noise, if it was 100% in tune.

It's particular the "shift" of real notes that made it possible to have "classic tunes" doing well with POKEY.

Edited by emkay

Yeah, some parts are good - and OK, other parts are off and don't work together.

Not a bad attempt altogether.

Harvey

GRR... I don't find the RMT file. It was using an RMT patch that adjusted all 1.79MHz instruments. Seems I have to rebuild it ...

And, well , I try to find everyone's taste... :)

Maybe you know of a C-64 tune I like to track down - although I cannot remember much of it.

I did record it onto videotape - but then dubbed it over...

It may have had the title of Star Wars maybe? It wasn't the star wars tune, I don't think? I think it was done in stereo - or had the impression it was - what was shown on screen - was a piano key layout and the tune played. It was something that really stood out amongst all the C-64 stuff I heard at that time.

Not that many C-64 tunes stood out to me - as they get to sound a bit samey after a while. There was a tape loader tune that stood out - maybe that was a Ocean loader?

Harvey

Maybe you know of a C-64 tune I like to track down - although I cannot remember much of it.

I did record it onto videotape - but then dubbed it over...

It may have had the title of Star Wars maybe? It wasn't the star wars tune, I don't think? I think it was done in stereo - or had the impression it was - what was shown on screen - was a piano key layout and the tune played. It was something that really stood out amongst all the C-64 stuff I heard at that time.

Not that many C-64 tunes stood out to me - as they get to sound a bit samey after a while. There was a tape loader tune that stood out - maybe that was a Ocean loader?

Harvey

Hmm.... You know, SID isn't stereo. Possibly 2 SIDs used ? Some special arrangement?

And, well, there is no "SID" . Referring to the release numbers there could be 12 different SID versions out. While different 6581 Versions could change the sound from a "PIANO" to a "Noise Synth", the 8580 is a fully different Chip, optimized for MIDI sounds... also in different version available.

But, there is just "one" POKEY ;)

Of course it was in mono - but there was something different present - which had it sounding different.

There were other tunes with the same display format - but they lacked the same specialness this particular arrangement had.

I saw it in around 1988 (or possibly 1987?)

I rarely find tunes that stand out. Like on the MegaDrive - one of the soundtracks for Batman stood out as being really nice to listen to.

Harvey

OK, let's be constructive ;) This is the kind of tune that makes everybody run for the volume knob. The bass and the melody are in totally different keys! Now for the constructive part: I'm under the impression that a lot of the songs you post are MOD file conversions. Within MOD files, it is entirely possible that when a pattern says it's playing a C-4, it is actually playing a completely different note because the sample that is used for that instrument is not tuned to C but to some other note, let's say it's a D-4. Another channel/instrument that is tuned to a C note sample has to play a D-4 to sound in unison with the previous instrument. Now, you convert the patterns to RMT and it will play a C-4 and a D-4 note together instead of two D-4's as was intended by the original author of the MOD file. This will sound horrible. To fix that, you have to transpose all notes played by the first instrument by a full note up.

You "vierkanal" song didn't have any problem BTW and hence sounded perfect.

• Like 3

OK, let's be constructive ;)

I have to admit, I'm not fully happy with it, thus it's named to the basses...

Depending on the limits of POKEY and RMT, I prefer to have the right sound instead of the "right" frequency wit a false sound. It's also a recording issue that pushes a gap between the basses and the melodic part.

Actually, if I was writing , why such "hey this seems out of key" , post make me angry, your monitor might explode ;)

If things were correct, someone could use the 16 bit part, do the notes "pitch perfect" and adjust the other channels to it.

Reality shows, people don't want pitch correct music. Or, how could someone explain that the only available PC Tracker for the small Atari denies 16 bit usage. And no one cares ? Contrary, you have to do "crossover" sounds, to get in a range that is needed for a tune, that makes 16 bit availability lower than 8 bit...

On the other hand, if People "hear that easily" the false frequency (which I doubt, as 90% of POKEY tunes weren't musically correct, and even a lot of SIDs sound wrong , why that is allowed ... :???... who knows) , well every MOD file is adopted in seconds, Instruments can be build in minutes , and even easier to musicians.... They should have converted the "missing" tunes with the "right" sound in minutes.

I could really do other things, but every time, I see a new "Demo" , I ask myself, if they were serious. And have to check , whether it could be done better.

So actually, those post make me angry, they also make me thinking of different ways for a more perfect solution, using the available stuff.

Edited by emkay
  • Like 2

Hehe.... some days before, I didn't know what "Star Paws" really was ;) I only knowed the tune from some ST Demo using a software synthesizer . And, well, from some MOD file ;)

Looking for the "fitting" picture, I found out that "Paws" really meant Paws ;)

I'd never assumed such "technoic" tune having "Pets" in common ;)

Here some Impression. This time the tune is played using the ASAP plugin in Winamp...

Interestingly , no other version of this tune exists in the ASMA.

It's also twisting, to have this quality reached with the available software. A touch of music, not scratchy, or whatever....

The SID original is still better, but RMT has the known flaws. So things could get a lot better.

I wonder, what people , with knowing of music and a real will to do music on the Atari, could do with native trackers.

Also, there is only ONE explanation, why no other versions of Star Paws exist: People didn't believe anyways that POKEY could do a useful rendition of that tune. But my version kicks away other chip versions already.

I still wonder, what could be done to impress mussicians , to create music with POKEY ....

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1