IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

Regarding other productions: They may not fit my taste, they may not fully utilize Pokey, but as long as my ears doesn't bleed I don't feel the urge to comment. BTW: You asked for comments...

LOL. If you don't recognize, what I'm writing about, you really should stop writing anything music related.

A notation row played wrong does not make your ears bleeding?

And, no, no answer needed ...

I noticed this issue with mod files when I first started using RMT.

It sounds like the main problem channel for Star Trek is the bass part. It sounds way out of key/pitch -- not the slight stuff you usually hear due to granularity.

I think Analmux tried to explain the same issue to you once as well emkay, when you were making an example for one of his RMT modifications.

Edited by MrFish

LOL. If you don't recognize, what I'm writing about, you really should stop writing anything music related.

A notation row played wrong does not make your ears bleeding?

And, no, no answer needed ...

After that last star trek post, I wouldn't criticize anybody with regards to "anything music related".

• Like 1

After that last star trek post, I wouldn't criticize anybody with regards to "anything music related".

Some post before, it looked like You understand the problems, but your post turned it vice versa.

The tune cannot be done better there.

Edited by emkay

But moving the tune up or down the scale, changing register, dropping the least important note, or using tuned or better instrument would make it better.... Leaving high pitched channel open when it's not in the original score hurts.... oh heck emkay I have always been pretty supportive of you and you efforts... I think if you put your mind to it, you could pull it off... I think your creative enough to make this an excellent rendition, use the 'sick/med bay thump' sound from those other example you made in this sond and adjust the rest to fit... I think it will be excellent on real hardware.... YOU CAN DO IT.... it may be hard but you've done the 'impossible' before.

Edited by _The Doctor__

But moving the tune up or down the scale, changing register, dropping the least important note, or using tuned or better instrument would make it better.... Leaving high pitched channel open when it's not in the original score hurts....

I know that. But in other tunes, when people liked them, your ears get blasted on and on with high peeks. Just have a listen to the Tempest Extreme tunes... so time by time, I do those "sensoric" tunes, to get what people like. It still doesn't make sense to me, people like eardrum rupturing sounds "that way" but not "this way" ;) ....

I'll try the tune in the patched RMT.... later...

About changing notes.... The tune is the real "Star Trek" tune. Changing parts of it, makes it "not real" anymore. Getting rid of unwanted cancelling, or using better basses, is still not solved in RMT.

To those other "music experts" Just a reminder about "off tune" ... if several channels weren't "in tune", cancelling won't happen.

Altirra breaks the high pitched tones, so the resulting frequency "you hear" changes, that don't happen on the real thing.

Other tunes, particular 3 channel SIDs get based on three different frequency ranges. This makes it far easier to rebuild that with the available environment for POKEY tunes.

About changing notes.... The tune is the real "Star Trek" tune. Changing parts of it, makes it "not real" anymore. Getting rid of unwanted cancelling, or using better basses, is still not solved in RMT.

Ok, one more time: Supply the RMT and I will roughly change the keys to fix the harmonics to demonstrate that the bad sound is no machine/emulator or RMT restriction. Deal?

• Like 1

Let's wait and see... erm ... listen

Some notes:

* I did not change any note, just instruments (mainly key/offset and sound in one case) and in an other case lowered a bit the volume

* all the instruments where pretty off in respect to a harmonic replay (so the source mod file samples are based on different keys (like ivop said: not uncommon))

* changes are only rough, the tune wouldn't pass my personal QA and if I would care, I would apply many other changes to the instruments and volumes AND notes too

* and in advantage: Emkay may say he hears cancelling or unclean notes or he finds the replay to high, but that makes no difference that this was recorded with an unpatched RMT and that (much more important) the notes were totally off in his version and everything else which may be a Pokey or whatever restriction stands for miles and miles behind this fact.

This was definitely the last time for me to prove this.

StarTrek.rmt.zip

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 6

Some notes:

* I did not change any note, just instruments (mainly key/offset and sound in one case) and in an other case lowered a bit the volume

* all the instruments where pretty off in respect to a harmonic replay (so the source mod file samples are based on different keys (like ivop said: not uncommon))

* changes are only rough, the tune wouldn't pass my personal QA and if I would care, I would apply many other changes to the instruments and volumes AND notes too

* and in advantage: Emkay may say he hears cancelling or unclean notes or he finds the replay to high, but that makes no difference that this was recorded with an unpatched RMT and that (much more important) the notes were totally off in his version and everything else which may be a Pokey or whatever restriction stands for miles and miles behind this fact.

This was definitely the last time for me to prove this.

That sounds pretty good, but the original doesn't have a drum track so it sounds a little odd. I think the original used a horn for that part. It wasn't nearly as low.

Impressive though.

https://youtu.be/RUZwuTRDRnQ

Some notes:

This sums up the problem with first version. It's not the individual instruments being out of tune with themselves. It's the fact that each instrument is playing in a different key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That sounds pretty good, but the original doesn't have a drum track so it sounds a little odd. I think the original used a horn for that part. It wasn't nearly as low.

Impressive though.

Thanks. Question is how the source mod-file was created before imported to RMT.

Yes, the original theme doesn't contain a drum, but since all these notes are played with the same key, I assumed that this maybe a drum-like voice in the mod-file (anything else would hardly fit).

If Emkay would supply the mod-file he imported this could also be clarified.

• Like 1

"...everything else which may be a Pokey or whatever restriction stands for miles and miles behind..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

What to say ? I thought, you would do some better tuning. But , again, you put POKEY into that shifted squealing that destroys music in all respects. Even more interesting, you got some secondands for that. But that was something to expect ...

I approved in many demonstrations that POKEY is able to play music without that squealing and to use "musical sounds".

Well. It would be better to ignore your writings. But I'm doing that "experiments" for fun. If people like you like that shifted squealing, no problem for me. If that wasn't preventing further development of POKEY music, it would be even nicer.

What to say ? I thought, you would do some better tuning. But , again, you put POKEY into that shifted squealing that destroys music in all respects. Even more interesting, you got some secondands for that. But that was something to expect ...

I approved in many demonstrations that POKEY is able to play music without that squealing and to use "musical sounds".

Well. It would be better to ignore your writings. But I'm doing that "experiments" for fun. If people like you like that shifted squealing, no problem for me. If that wasn't preventing further development of POKEY music, it would be even nicer.

I truly am amazed - to the point I think you are trolling us. To say his post was squealing and not musical, while expecting praise for that post that made shitty flute sound bad just defies all explanation and words from me. I think I am finally out of these threads. I tried to be constructive, but I see now, that there is just no getting through to you.

• Like 5

I truly am amazed - to the point I think you are trolling us. To say his post was squealing and not musical, while expecting praise for that post that made shitty flute sound bad just defies all explanation and words from me. I think I am finally out of these threads. I tried to be constructive, but I see now, that there is just no getting through to you.

You're screwing things up. It's "How" "Irgendwer" posts, not the critisism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony

Perception section may be interesting for why most people don't prefer dissonance (out of tune) over instrument type or "flavour" of sound.

To talk of "dissonance" using POKEY for creating music, is to ask people, if a volcano is hot. The "dissonance" can be reduced but never disabled. Depending on the "unsharp" 8 bit resolution, "talking of harmonics" is also useless.

It's also a method of doing a broader sound, to keep things slightly detuned. Also, tunes that were based on "A" have a better response than tunes that base on "A#" ... so how to get a common base ? It would be nice to have some real musician around. But that's also an inversion ... because it would imply to have a musical environment available. And, instead of creating working harmonics, some "clever guy" comes around the corner, turning things back to the false...

• Like 1

When you simulate an instrument by altering a square wave it may sound good at one frequency, but that doesn't mean it's going to scale up or down well.
You have analog circuitry and speaker interaction that isn't going to be consistent.

Combine several "instruments" like this and you might get some nasty harmonics.
I'm not sure the problem is music so much as math.
You almost need to analyse what is being produced and have a program calculate corrections to get the desired results.

• Like 1