IGNORED

RESET BUTTON - An alternative?

Omega-TI

Hi all,

I know there are at least a couple of methods to hookup a reset switches. I come to rely on it quite extensively on my console with the PS/2 keyboard. Here's the thing, I plan to start working on my HDMI unit in about a month, but I really don't want to mount any buttons on this unit... I want to keep it as 'clean looking' as possible. With this in mind, would there be anyway to effect a reset using the side port traces in the speech synthesizer? If so, I could mount the button under the little door...

Using the FlashROM 99 makes a reset button near mandatory.

I believe the reset pin is exposed.. the second pin from the front on the bottom row of the sideport should be reset... You could put a cool red button inside the lid of the speech synthesizer :) momentary grounding of that should work...

http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/pinouts.htm#Side

-M@

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 2

Did anyone happen to notice the dual reset button mod I completed a week ago? One reset button on the side if my console and one on my peb. :) why in the world would I need 3? Lol.

Because I can. Nah, I actually like this side cart mod for future consoles. Nice find guys.

I would have done this as my second button instead of on the console if it were posted a week sooner. :/

Post number 43 from this topic:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/257387-ti-994a-modification-weekend/page-2

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 2

If it's that simple ANYONE can do it. :-o

Hell, all you would need to do is find some little connectors to slide over two of the posts on the edge connector and you're done!

Now we just need a case for this thing so we have something to mount the button on!

gallery_35324_1027_49652.jpg

Hey Matt, if you ever update the board can you add a jumper for a reset switch? ;)

• Like 1

For the "side port reset", and if you do this small solder-mod inside the speech synthie, (for this "voltage pass-through")

maybe it would be nice to do a small new mod at the same time, on the Speechy, to have a reset-switch on its lid ?

(or inside, so that you have to open the Speechy´s lid) :)

Speaking of reset switches, as a child when we were bored, me and my friends sometimes experimented with placing a bulldog clip on the side port of the TI, just to see what kind of spectacular crashes this would produce.

post-35226-0-99875000-1477326847_thumb.jpg

This was how I discovered that the ability to produce sprites was inside the machine and not something provided by the XB or Parsec cartridges which, except for Tombstone City, were the only cartridges I had.

If anything this proves that the TI is pretty sturdy because it survived this treatment until I sold it about a year later.

:-D

• Like 4

Speaking of reset switches, as a child when we were bored, me and my friends sometimes experimented with placing a bulldog clip on the side port of the TI, just to see what kind of spectacular crashes this would produce.

attachicon.gifil_570xN.478243881_i9cn.jpg

This was how I discovered that the ability to produce sprites was inside the machine and not something provided by the XB or Parsec cartridges which, except for Tombstone City, were the only cartridges I had.

If anything this proves that the TI is pretty sturdy because it survived this treatment until I sold it about a year later.

Braver soul than I LOL - Not to derail this topic too much but my convictions about the sturdiness of these machines is when I killed mine by mistake with solder and then a few weeks later brought is back to life with solder.

It survived me.

post-47352-0-54416700-1476441500_thumb.j

post-47352-0-95619500-1476441689_thumb.j

post-47352-0-33595700-1476441861_thumb.p

• Like 2

I don't want to spoil your reset party but just for your information:

1) Be aware that pin #3 reset* of the IO port is the OUTPUT of an inverter gate of U508. If you want to blow up some gates then go ahead!

2) Always add a small resistor (like 330 ohm ... 1000 ohm or so) of you want to play with signals like this ... then [maybe] you don't blow up the gates.

3) The reset signal of the GROM port goes to some circuit of R514 and C506 which is the power up reset input of the 74LS362 or TMS9904 which is the clock generator of the system.

4) Check schematics before fooling around with IO ports.

Fred

• Like 5

Matt - Once you've tried it, find that it works, and give us the go-ahead, I'll add this to my list of things to do.

I don't want to spoil your reset party but just for your information...

gallery_35324_1027_3610.jpgScreeeeching to an instant halt!

Thanks for the heads up and warning Fred!

I'm content to wait until a verified & safe method is determined.

• Like 1

I've been using Chris's document for about a year.

The other reset I have is to the cpu reset pin, but driven from another microprocessor with an open drain gpio pin. In this case the TI is providing the current limiter.

So Fred is totally correct that just a switch is dangerous. That sideport pin is meant to be driven by TTL. In the old days the TI community published articles on the right way to do this.

-M@

• Like 2

Back during my original run with the TI, I had a red rectangular reset button that fit PERFECTLY in the area next to the "=" key. Of course I was also using a Mitsumi keyboard which had a plastic shell that allowed me to remove part of it to facilitate the physical depth of the button. It nearly looked original. I'm not sure if you can see it all that well in the photo below, but there it is.

gallery_35324_1027_256507.png

While I don't want to, I still may end up installing one on the console itself. If I go that way, I'll have to find the perfect button.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifil_570xN.478243881_i9cn.jpg

Similar for me... I used to shove Atari 2600 carts into the TI cart port just to see it crash, because as a TI BASIC only user I'd never seen the console honestly crash. ;)

• Like 3

Yeah, I feel spanked and sent to the corner.

Is this safe?

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/Users/Chris_Schneider/Projects/TI-Reset.pdf

**Checks left and right for Shift838**

Thanks for reminding me about this alternative. I really didn't want to have any visible hacks on this console, but decided to go this route.

Now I have another problem.....

... DECISIONS, DECISIONS!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg