IGNORED

SpartaDOS with H: drive?

Steve Mynott

Is there anyway of using SpartaDOS with the H: drive? I can get BwDOS to work under Altirra!

SpartaDOS can recognize up to D9: The letters A: to I: are treated the same

as D1: to D9: Configuring a drive to D9: I don't believe any drive has that dip switch setting.

Altirra recognizes up to D8: which is the same as up to H: .

This comes from SpartaDOS manual. I've never actually tried 'H:'.

OK, I tried D8: in Altirra. It doesn't work with the drive letters.

I can't test with real hardware as I have no way to set a drive as 8.

Actually I could test to see if 'A:' is treated the same as 'D1:'. on real hardware.

edit: I think I was reading the SpartaX book. So maybe won't work with 3.2g.

Edited by russg

SpartaDOS can recognize up to D9: The letters A: to I: are treated the same

as D1: to D9: Configuring a drive to D9: I don't believe any drive has that dip switch setting.

Altirra recognizes up to D8: which is the same as up to H: .

This comes from SpartaDOS manual. I've never actually tried 'H:'.

OK, I tried D8: in Altirra. It doesn't work with the drive letters.

I can't test with real hardware as I have no way to set a drive as 8.

Actually I could test to see if 'A:' is treated the same as 'D1:'. on real hardware.

edit: I think I was reading the SpartaX book. So maybe won't work with 3.2g.

I checked. You need SpX to address a drive with letters. 3.2d shows a letter if you type it, but it doesn't work to read a directory.

Actually, no SpX doesn't do letters either. So I'm not sure of anything.

Edited by russg

Any version of Disk based Sparta x33*.

There are some utilities for access H: from SDX.

I've renamed them in unix manner as ls - for listing Directory and cp - for files exchange...

Not so hard deal to type ls or cp instead of dir or copy for making the same work in SDX environment.

so the emulator to be compliant with all dos should pick higher letter and patch that in...

No it shouldn't. Any DOS CP or menu which provides direct access to CIO drive identifiers and doesn't prohibit other device names (like "E:", "S:", etc) will work just fine with "H:" (there was an issue with MYDOS not wanting to copy files to anything but "Dn:", but that's another matter). As already noted, SDX is an unusual case since it doesn't allow access to devices from the CP via CIO device IDs at all. Instead, it uses its own kernel device names: DSK:, CON:, PRN:, etc. This was done partly to allow MS-DOS style drive letters (A:, B:, C:, etc), and partly because it's ultimately much more flexible (i.e. the PCLINK device might otherwise be called "P:", which clashes with the printer: using the SDX scheme, it's called PCL: from the CP and DPCL: from the CIO).

PCLINK completely solves the issue of host filesystem access under SDX, and since Altirra emulates PCLINK, there is no problem.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

oh noes another MyDOS variant! :) nice information as always FJC. I always enjoy the pieces of information, just wish some sort a wiki existed to organize and make it so all the tidbit are at our beck and call!

What's a "beck"... No, seriously, what is it? I don't know.

I assume you meant "beckoned call"

Sorry, that has always been a pet peeve of mine.

Hope you are well :)

I believe _The Doctor__ had the correct phrase, beck appearing to be an old abbreviation of beckon. Of course with it being an old phrase many people may not have heard of it, especially those to whom english is not their first language.

The correct phrase is “beck and call.” If you are at someone's beck and call, you respond immediately whether he or she beckons or calls; it implies complete subservience.

It's an old phrase, originating in the late 1800s, during a time when “beck” was used to mean “beckon.”

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/beckon-call-or-beck-and-call

Edited by BillC
  • Like 2

I just wanted to let everyone know about some things I have found interesting in the past.

While my writings continue to become replete with errors and awkward structures as I deteriorate...

The first recorded use of 'beck and call' in print was in Aemilia Lanyer's set of poems Salve Deus Rex Judaeorum, 1611

The Muses doe attend vpon your Throne,

With all the Artists at your becke and call;

Who exactly messed up the phrase? Why the main stream media of course.... NEWSPAPERS! ...

a quick search of the quote reveals:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/beck-and-call.html

This is the kind of thing that I find interesting and amuse myself with from time to time.

_The Road Warrior__

• Like 3

Yes: Far be it for me to sound like a rebel rouser, but I'm in full agreeance that the media doesn't pass mustard here and it's time we nipped it in the butt. Grammarists get a bad wrap in this day in age but to all intensive purposes we just have a deep-seeded desire to tow the line. It's an abject lesson in how journalism has gone to hell in a handbag.

• Like 5

Yes: Far be it for me to sound like a rebel rouser, but I'm in full agreeance that the media doesn't pass mustard here and it's time we nipped it in the butt. Grammarists get a bad wrap in this day in age but to all intensive purposes we just have a deep-seeded desire to tow the line. It's an abject lesson in how journalism has gone to hell in a handbag.

And it's not just on your side of "the pond" either. So called journalists around here often seem to have trouble even with basic grammar. You can pretty much guess that proper fact checking sources and silly stuff like that almost never happens. They just reword & regurgitate reports they get elsewhere, or just don't bother to fact check primary sources.

It's truly gotten to the point that not only is getting news from "the internet" not really inferior to "proper" news outlets, but I dare say it can actually be better.

Edited by fujidude
  • Like 5