IGNORED

Al, Where were the games?

The Atari age booth, is literally the highlight of the show. I remember two years ago when Atariage wasn't there I was upset. Now I understand that there wouldn't be any of the new releases available at the 2016 show, but I thought there would be SOMETHING to buy. Yeah, the demos are great, but you can watch them online, and they make you want to buy something that isn't at the show.

Not that you owe me any explanation, but AL, where were the games. I would have bought something, probably one of the older titles. I was very disappointed, nobody was selling any ATARI homebrews. The worst thing was, noboby believed me. Everyone told me to shut up. My brother thought I was crazy. I said, "No they are just selling demos.

Well, I should be thankful that I saved 200.00. Promise me you are going to sell something if you come next year.

Reklen

Eagerly awaiting FRoggie, Crystal Quest, and Scramble. I literally wanted to steal that Scramble, I wanted to take it home and play it!!

It's very time consuming to prepare for a show if you want to put together a booth like I do at most events. I'm doing most of this myself, and this year there wasn't enough time to have games ready and also do all the prep-work for the booth. So, the choice is to not attend if I'm not going to have any games to sell, or go and setup a nice booth with demos of upcoming games. I chose the latter.

Another reason is there are many games on the cusp of coming out, and I want to get all the manuals, labels and boxes printed together. Also, several games are close to being complete and are in the final testing / tweaking stage, like Scramble. I did not want to pressure anyone into getting their game completed in time for the show.

The booth was quite busy both days of the show. Keep in mind that most people visiting the booth at a show like this are not familiar with homebrew games, so this is an opportunity to help introduce more people to all these new games. I even had catalogs printed up showcasing all the upcoming games, something I've never done before.

Additionally, thanks to Byte Knight, I had two modified Flashback 4 systems running nearly all the 2600 and 7800 homebrews in the AtariAge Store, each setup with a couch, coffee table and. 32" television. Also new for this show. There were around 40 systems setup in total, more than I've ever had setup before.

I'm sorry to those who may have been disappointed there was nothing to buy. Trust me, I would have liked to sell you games, as its expensive to attend a show like this. But I'm still glad I was able to attend, as tons of people were exposed to all these new and upcoming games on the 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, ColecoVision, and Intellivision.

My plan is to get a large batch of new games into the store st the end of November.

..Al

• Like 21

I can understand disappointment that there were no Atari games for sale but Atari age is a one man thing....and when you see all the things,events that he us doing.....Hats off@! Now , Al I hope one of those catalogues will be included in future purchases...

They will be, although we went through maybe 800 of them at the show (out of 1,000), so I may need to order another batch. :)

..Al

• Like 2

The catalogs were very sweet, and I loved the demonstrator Flashbacks. I'd seriously buy one of those preloaded with the AtariAge catalog. Based on the interface, I'm guessing there's not much of the original Flashback board left in those cases :)

No, they are running a Raspberry Pi board. All that remains of the original Flashback is the case. :)

..Al

I honestly thought AA had the best booth at the show. There are so many great games on the horizon that my wallet is going to be hurting for months.

Rebooteroids is amazing. You can just hook that game directly to my veins. I'm going to play it forever.

I was also completely blown away by Super Game Module by Opcode Games. New hardware for classic systems always excites me. The game selection was also incredible. I also need to get my hands on every Track Ball hack game. I can't wait to play them all.

But the one thing that really stood out to me was the MMDC Retro Player. This thing needs to go into production ASAP! Maybe some crowd funding?

Anyway... here's my video tour of the AA booth. As you can see it was definitely an impressive set up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzyMLQuz_-k

• Like 16

Nice! What's this device that Space Rocks is running on?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-10-26 at 9.35.34 AM.png

It's the MMDC Retro Player, which is an FPGA-based system that can play 2600 cartridges. The unit is enclosed in a Walkman-style case, complete with Walkman-style buttons (pause, play, stop, etc.) More information here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248199-my-pet-project/?p=3421881

..Al

• Like 1

No, they are running a Raspberry Pi board. All that remains of the original Flashback is the case. :)

..Al

The Flashback cases are the best part! I've been thinking of getting a FB7 both for a case to reuse for a CHIP-based system and to see if I can sniff the IR joysticks using standard protocols; it would be interested to see if I could hack them into the IR code for our Roku TVs to act as a remote control for games.

• 2 weeks later...