IGNORED

Gotek Setup

The folder reloader is used when reprogramming the Gotek, it is not used very much , just to reflash the bootloader...I am not sure on it's function , but it came with the updates... oh ya there is a new zip file in that folder along with several Atari platforms online.... Russ

• 4 weeks later...

There are lots of new files up in the Atari section, including an automation directory, I will have version 5 of my flash floppy and hxc jumpdrive zip file all ready by tonight. Just got an LCD display it works really good, I use the top hole in the Gotek to run all of the wires up and through the vents of my Atari 1040 STE , by tomorrow I will have a few holders ready for the 1602 board that I bought, with a hole made for the rotary switch, I have access to a 3D printer at the library where I live will try to make 5 of them there and 5 at the lab I go to if cheap enough I will sell them for $10 each. Will get back to you on a price by tomorrow, if you guys are lcuky enough all you will have to do is pay for the shipping and $10.00 per unit, as the library has 4 3D printers and does not charge for PLA. I will put in my time to do this and keep costs low. Russ

Again if you need the link: https://mega.nz/#F!YFVBEJ5Y!Fu3CCx3QJ-21q9JBx5Invw

Edited by rcamp48
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can somebody help me out a bit getting my Gotek to work in my STE?

This is how far I've come:

- I got the Gotek drive

- I soldered the pins to the board

- I've ordered a USB2TTL writer

The best setup guide I have found so far is this video:

Questions:

- The guy in the video does use a different firmware than the one from the hxc website (which costs 10€). Is that recommended?

- I do not own a windows machine but a Mac, has anybody successfully completed the process using a Mac?

Thank you all in advance,

cheers!

Edited by awsm

I just bought one too and got it to work after some fiddling.

I'm a Mac user too had to drag out an old PC from the attic to do it though....I hate all those "big" electronics companies that still think it is 1995 and everyone has Windblows......

This video got me started up:

I already had that exact same cable laying around luckily.

I used all the files here: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy .....they're free.

I also added the OLED display which is very easy, just need to make the display hole a bit bigger.

I bought a Gotek because it's so crazy cheap.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-SFR1M44-U100-Normal-version-3-5-Inch-1-44MB-USB-SSD-FLOPPY-DRIVE-EMULATOR/1710069272.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.15444c4dJ7Qix0

I think I'll get an Ultrasatan later. The new ComsosEX is really too expensive IMHO.

The worst thing about this is that I do NOT want to make any holes in my Mega STE and replacing the drive itself looks ugly....I did do it for now, but it's a joke to look at....but I want to play a lot of games :)

Edited by Level42

There are lots of new files up in the Atari section, including an automation directory, I will have version 5 of my flash floppy and hxc jumpdrive zip file all ready by tonight. Just got an LCD display it works really good, I use the top hole in the Gotek to run all of the wires up and through the vents of my Atari 1040 STE , by tomorrow I will have a few holders ready for the 1602 board that I bought, with a hole made for the rotary switch, I have access to a 3D printer at the library where I live will try to make 5 of them there and 5 at the lab I go to if cheap enough I will sell them for $10 each. Will get back to you on a price by tomorrow, if you guys are lcuky enough all you will have to do is pay for the shipping and $10.00 per unit, as the library has 4 3D printers and does not charge for PLA. I will put in my time to do this and keep costs low. Russ

Again if you need the link: https://mega.nz/#F!YFVBEJ5Y!Fu3CCx3QJ-21q9JBx5Invw

Hi Russ , that link seems to be down, could you re-upload it ? :D

Edited by Level42

• 3 weeks later...

.... if you have one of these Goteks from Quebec that come with an 8 GB flash drive (around $58 Can with shipping) , I would recommend against any Chinese imports as #1 they are inferior to the good ones , and #2 they have no bootloader on them. You get what you pay for in the case of the Atari ST (and Amiga) and USB 3.0 sticks work !!!!!! ............... Russ Campbell

Hi Russ,

Little confused here. Do you mean that the Quebec models are inferior? I don't think you do, but it's a little ambiguous (to me). Especially since I did buy the Quebec model from Retronic Design. Thanks

Rick

Here is the latest file all set up for Gotek that has been flashed from Quebec, (FF and 3rd party HXC) with 7000 games and utilities for the Atari ST, the link to my Mega site is here:https://mega.nz/#F!YFVBEJ5Y!Fu3CCx3QJ-21q9JBx5Invw, all you have to do is format a USB 2.0 stick 8 GIG or bigger in fat32, then copy the contents of the zip file (make sure that you enter the folder first) to your flash drive.... make sure that you do not fast format it , use a free program like Mini Tool Partition Wizard 10.2 to format the stick with fat32 and default settings .... if you have one of these Goteks from Quebec that come with an 8 GB flash drive (around $58 Can with shipping) , I would recommend against any Chinese imports as #1 they are inferior to the good ones , and #2 they have no bootloader on them. You get what you pay for in the case of the Atari ST (and Amiga) and USB 3.0 sticks work !!!!!! ............... Russ Campbell

Note that I made a mistake in this post,I really meant that Goteks from Quebec are really good, Chinese imports are not Russ

• 2 weeks later...

All you're getting from Quebec are pre-configured Goteks from China.. They aren't any better or worse, they've just had the bootloader and firmware installed previously. Far as I'm aware they are the EXACT same hardware.

If you want to get the 'best' in my opinion, get one of the new mini boards here (this what I'm going to use on my dual drive internal STE): https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/32413

• 2 months later...

Since the Goteks can play sound - from my understanding - has anyone sampled the read/write noises from an SF314 or SF354 so that the Gotek can sound like an ST disc drive? :) I'd imagine the firmware would have to support that functionality though...

Edited by Lynxpro

I do have the entire Tosek library online ,but I am posting just the Atari section here : https://mega.nz/#F!gc1hjCSJ!XSPtzwIKJoD2n0ugdmIT5A

Russ

PS: Does anyone have a copy of the ICD Host Adapter Software ,I have the disk , but it has a sticky film on it which I have removed 95 % of it and may be able to recover it with ST Recover, but it is looking pretty bad from my end. It is NOT on the list of Atari stuff as far as I know.

I am setting up my winter project, which is to restore an old Atari STF that I've had in storage for 25 years. I remember it was having drive issues, so I thought it would be easier, and better in the long run, to replace it with a Gotek floppy emulator. I'm a little confused about what images it will read though. I see different Goteks setup for 1.44MB floppies, some for 720kb floppies. I doubt there are many 1.44MB images out there, and while most are likely 720kb, I know there are a lot of 360kb images as well. Will a Gotek read those as well, or can you only set it up to read one size image? That point has me a little confused at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have decided to use my Gotek on my 1040 STFM, and all I get is a white screen, anyone else got this? It happened after using one of those cartridges from Romantic Robot , I cannot format disks at all, I get a write protect error on the st when formatting the disk and a white screen when usingn the Gotek. Is there a protect mode on that Romantic Robot cartridge or something I could have triggered? Russ

• 1 year later...

I keep seeing these Gotek selling for up to $$100 or sometimes more on Ebay.

I just got this one on Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/Gotek-SFR1M44-U100-1-44MB-Floppy-Emulator/dp/B0762NCHC6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=gotek&qid=1590613519&sr=8-1

should be here by Saturday. are those individuals just scalping people for money? or is there some Hocus Pocus Soldering and Programming involved?

Yes, they’re scalping, unless they’re already setup for those that don’t have the skills to do it themselves. If those are basic, factory units, those are ridiculous prices.

Also, depending on where you are, you may not be looking very well. I just did a search on U.S. eBay and had not trouble at all finding about thirty different Goteks for sale for $25 or less, and that’s about the right price for a factory unit that still needs to be setup.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/9/2018 at 1:56 AM, rcamp48 said:

Here is the latest file all set up for Gotek that has been flashed from Quebec, (FF and 3rd party HXC) with 7000 games and utilities for the Atari ST, the link to my Mega site is here:https://mega.nz/#F!YFVBEJ5Y!Fu3CCx3QJ-21q9JBx5Invw, all you have to do is format a USB 2.0 stick 8 GIG or bigger in fat32, then copy the contents of the zip file (make sure that you enter the folder first) to your flash drive.... make sure that you do not fast format it , use a free program like Mini Tool Partition Wizard 10.2 to format the stick with fat32 and default settings .... if you have one of these Goteks from Quebec that come with an 8 GB flash drive (around $58 Can with shipping) , I would recommend against any Chinese imports as #1 they are inferior to the good ones , and #2 they have no bootloader on them. You get what you pay for in the case of the Atari ST (and Amiga) and USB 3.0 sticks work !!!!!! ............... Russ Campbell

Hey Russ ..whatever happened to the link to your zip file ? i`d be more than interested in taking a look at that ..

cheers

Steve

• 1 year later...

Ha! An old thread comes back to life..

I have since given up on the Goteks.

I strongly urge folks to look into the ASC2SD :

They are about $50 shipped from Spain. I have one on my STe, one on my Mega2 and one for testing systems. The latest firmware has it close to 1mb/sec transfer rate.

33 minutes ago, Paul Westphal said:

Ha! An old thread comes back to life..

I have since given up on the Goteks.

I strongly urge folks to look into the ASC2SD :

They are about $50 shipped from Spain. I have one on my STe, one on my Mega2 and one for testing systems. The latest firmware has it close to 1mb/sec transfer rate.

At $50 apiece, that's a great deal, and it certainly makes it a good alternative for an UltraSatan, but why would it make a good alternative for a Gotek? They do two completely different things and were never designed to or intended to fill the same niches. One is a modern floppy drive replacement and one is a modern hard drive alternative. I know a lot of older games and other software have been modified to run from a hard drive, but I'm fairly certain that some have not, maybe never will be, so in those instances, a floppy drive or a modern floppy drive replacement will be the only way to access this software. I have both a Gotek and an UltraSatan on my machine and use am glad to have both to use when needed, but I never saw one as a replacement for the other.

• Like 1

I simply wanted to bring attention to the device for those who may not know about it since my original post. I use The ASC2STF and a real floppy drive, which I either repair or order a new one from ST Freaks. There are some games that just prefer to run off either a real floppy or Gotek.

Edited by Paul Westphal

On 2/18/2022 at 3:25 PM, Fidelware said:

hi, i just bought an atari 1040 stf, and i installed a gotek on it, i would like to buy that image you created with games and tools.  Thank you

I have it online somewhere , you don't have to buy it but I will put it up in a few days, unfortunately I have to go into isolation for a week but if you call my BBS its should be there, the BBS is at christfollowersbbs.ca port 23, over 10 TBS online.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, patpowell said:

rcamp48 are you still looking for ICD link software.I think i still have original disk and Icd cable and manual

I would be looking for anything ICD for the Atari 8 Bit computer, not too much into the ST any more , gone 100 percent 8 Bit but I may get back into it.