IGNORED

Arcade Games You'd Like To See Ported To The Atari 7800

Skippy B. Coyote

The Atari 7800 has seen a ton of really outstanding ports of arcade games by talented homebrew developers over the last decade, so I thought it might be fun to have a thread where everyone could espouse their hopes and dreams for future additions to the Atari 7800 library. :)

Please bear in mind that this is not a request thread, so don't go badgering any homebrew developers to make games here. This is just a thread for contemplating what arcade games you would love to see ported to the 7800 someday. That said, here's my personal Top 5:

1. Yie Ar Kung-Fu

I went with Yie Ar Kung-Fu for my #1 pick, mainly because I think it would fill a genre gap in the Atari 7800 library of quality one on one fighting games. Sure, there is Karateka, but I think everyone can agree that's not exactly a "quality" fighting game. Yie Ar Kung-Fu is also the one popular arcade fighting game I can think of that would suit the hardware limitations of the Atari 7800 nicely. The Sega Master System did prove that it was possible to make a decent rendition of Mortal Kombat for an 8-bit system with two buttons, but I think Yie Ar Kung-Fu is probably more realistic (if not somewhat less cool) to imagine running on the Atari 7800.

2. Millipede

As a big fan of the original arcade version and the Atari 2600 port, Millipede is a no-brainer for me. Add CX-22/CX-80 trackball support for extra bug blasting awesomeness.

3. Venture

While the Atari 2600 port is quite good, this is one game that I sure wish the Atari 7800 had a nice version of like the ColecoVision does. It's just a personal favorite game of mine.

4. Shao-lin's Road

There's not a whole lot of beat 'em up arcade games that I can imagine the Atari 7800 handling well, but this is certainly one of them. I've always liked the arcade original and I think it would make a unique addition to the Atari 7800 catalog, especially considering that it never saw a home console release on an 80's system.

5. The House of the Dead

I'm going way off the deep end into pure fantasy zone with my last pick, but after many play throughs of Alien Brigade I can actually imagine it being possible to make a hack of it using the same layout and game mechanics but with a horror theme. Replace the backgrounds and enemies with 8-bit renditions of the ones from The House of the Dead, stick HotD bosses at the end of each level, and replace the between level mission briefings with HotD character portraits and some really cheesy dialog in classic HotD fashion. It's a total pipe dream, making a House of the Dead hack of Alien Brigade, but it is by far my favorite pipe dream when it comes to Atari 7800 games. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

Mr. Do! series...Really like all those game a lot. With Mr. Do! and Mr. Do's Castle seeing plenty of porting (Even the SNES has Mr. Do!), and Mr. Do's Wild Ride making an appearance on the ColecoVision, there has never been any love though, for Do! Run Run, on any console (Or any platform period, AFAIK):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBAETNU03Zc

It would be great to see all four Mr. Do! games on the 7800, although Do! Run Run would be my first pick in the series due to the aforementioned.

• Like 3

Tron the Arcade game I admit I have no idea how the controls would work...

A special controller would have to be built. You would have to have a contoller with trigger and a spinner just like the arcade game. One controller port would operate the joystick/trigger and the other controller port the spinner.

How much are you willing to pay?

• Like 1

Mr. Do! series...Really like all those game a lot. With Mr. Do! and Mr. Do's Castle seeing plenty of porting (Even the SNES has Mr. Do!), and Mr. Do's Wild Ride making an appearance on the ColecoVision, there has never been any love though, for Do! Run Run, on any console (Or any platform period, AFAIK):

Do! Run Run was ported to Amiga. It was the only Mr. Do! game that made it to the Amiga, actually, and from what I remember from a recent Amigos Podcast, Do! Run Run holds the distinction of having the longest interval between arcade release and debut release on home console: arcade version was 1984, Amiga version was 1990.

• Like 1

Sinistar

Moon Patrol

Gyruss (with Pokey support)

Bubbles

Gravitar

Tapper

Zaxxon

Crystal Castles

Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back(Atari)

Tempest

Space Dungeon

Zookeeper

Reactor

Krull (arcade)

Mad Planets

Pac Land

I'd like to see someone attempt Raiden as well

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2

A special controller would have to be built. You would have to have a contoller with trigger and a spinner just like the arcade game. One controller port would operate the joystick/trigger and the other controller port the spinner.

How about Knight Rider?? That needs controller too.
  • Like 4

I'd probably pay a lot! Haha... But in my mind, I was picturing more of a "home version" where maybe it could just be controlled with a joystick...

Bosconian. RoadBlasters. Gaplus. Pac-Mania. Mappy. Arkanoid 1 and 2. Qix. Tower of Druaga. Warp Warp.

I'd have to agree Any Arkanoid game would be Great as a paddle game!

I was just thinking on the idea of a TRON Game again...

If a Talented programmer (say someone like PacManPlus, if I won the Lotto and paid him lots of money) made the game...And if an Awesome joystick builder (say someone like Edladdin, if I won the Lotto and paid him lots of money) made the special controller, That would be Amazing! And I should start buying Lotto tickets haha...

As long as we're just imagining; I envision a menu at the start of the game allowing for many control schemes...

For example:

1). Joystick controls movement and firing/aiming like in Berzerk or Tron Deadly Discs

2). Fire button shoots, Hold down fire button to aim

3). A 2 button game, One button shoots, the other button aims

4). Special controller