IGNORED

Arcade Games You'd Like To See Ported To The Atari 7800

Skippy B. Coyote

I'd probably pay a lot! Haha... But in my mind, I was picturing more of a "home version" where maybe it could just be controlled with a joystick...

That would suck and I wouldn't buy it. Honestly I would have to think about it if I would even pony up the dough to pay for the game with special controller. It's probably why it has yet to be done along with the thread of C&D from Disney.

• Like 1

VectorGamer, on 31 Oct 2016 - 2:13 PM, said:

That would suck and I wouldn't buy it. Honestly I would have to think about it if I would even pony up the dough to pay for the game with special controller. It's probably why it has yet to be done along with the thread of C&D from Disney.

Yeah, If it were done they'd need special permission from Master Control Program and they should try and get the rights from ENCOM...LOL

tron_encom.jpg

Tron would work well with Robotron controls. Two coupled sticks. Or modify that so up/down rotated arm, left/right fired shots.

Problem with Tron is that most two controller options would require a second person to play effectively without a trigger button. I'd do as was stated previously and have several control options in thegame, but I'd add support for a joystick with driving controller. There are several 2600 sticks with triggers, so there's that.

• Like 1

But in my mind, I was picturing more of a "home version" where maybe it could just be controlled with a joystick...

I'm in the same boat. There are tons of examples of great-playing home ports that have different controls than the coin-op. It absolutely could be done well, especially with the 2 buttons available on the 7800. In 2016 if I wanted a perfect coin-op port with special controls, I'd just play the game in MAME. One of the fun aspects of 8-bit ports, IMHO, is how the game is made unique to fit the console. Of course, they can be done poorly...

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat. There are tons of examples of great-playing home ports that have different controls than the coin-op. It absolutely could be done well, especially with the 2 buttons available on the 7800. In 2016 if I wanted a perfect coin-op port with special controls, I'd just play the game in MAME. One of the fun aspects of 8-bit ports, IMHO, is how the game is made unique to fit the console. Of course, they can be done poorly...

^Agreed!

I, too, kind of like "home versions"!

And since some are done poorly, this isn't an all encompassing statement...

I think around the time of MAME or Playstation 1, it was possible to have an almost "arcade exact" experience at home, but if you back up to Atari VCS and Colecovision, or even go forward a few years (from there),...You remember a time when home versions were the norm. Sure the graphics weren't exactly the same, but gameplay was king. A huge part of the hobby was speculating which games would come out for which systems and when; And whether or not they got the gameplay close...This also led to the idea that you might get new ideas or options or even exclusive content in a home version that might make it unique and cool in its own right...

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 1

All this talk about a "special controller" for Tron....here ya go:

Driving controller in one port, joystick in the other...with all the trigger-style joysticks released for the 2600, this isn't too farfetched.

I've actually mounted one of these:

faq_controller_archer_2.jpg

With a driving controller next to it on a board. I did this last time someone brought up Tron...now I just have another weirdo project in a box. Elegant it ain't, but it would work.

ARMOR ATTACK II

OK So maybe there Never was an Armor Attack II in the arcades...(And I'm sure many of you already knew where I was going with this...), But this game doesn't even need to be ported, Because It's Already Exists! It's in the AtariAge Store right now and it's a pretty fun game!

...Just felt like pointing that out.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Taking a cue from GoldLeader, it would be great to see these titles:

Alpha Race
Armor Attack
Asteroids Deluxe
Astro Blaster
Astro Fighter
Berzerk
Burger Time
Circus
Frenzy
Frogger
Jr. Pac-Man
Moon Cresta
Pac-Man (Plus)
Q*bert
Rip-Off
Scramble
Space Duel
Space Invaders
Super Pac-Man
And I really would love to see a major improvement/upgrade to my favorite Arcade classic of all time...Donkey Kong!
Perhaps, improvements to other titles already ported over as well.
If only this could happen on the 7800...
:ponder: :)
  • Like 1

I'll add a couple more to my wish list, specifically because Edladdin's Super Twin 78 opens up some very cool options:

1. Karate Champ

2. Smash T.V.

And one more that isn't a twin stick game, but a man (or woman for that matter) can still dream...

3. Mortal Kombat

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2