IGNORED

Arcade Games You'd Like To See Ported To The Atari 7800

Skippy B. Coyote

• 7 months later...

Atariboy2600,

Damn! If the Atari 7800 actually had come out with all of those games, back in the day I mean...And if it was in more stores, and Nintendo hadn't monopolized, it would have been a very different video game landscape!

I dare say it would have given the NES a real run for its money.

Your posts are Awesome and make me dream...

Edited by GoldLeader

If I ever start looking at 7800 basic, I'm planning on exploring Two Tigers. That game screams 7800.

Actually, any of the Bally / Midway games based on that hardware would make great 7800 games

Tron

Discs of Tron

Satan's Hollow

Domino Man

Tapper

Timber

• Like 1

Some of my picks would be:

Popeye - This got so many ports like the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, Commodore 64, etc. Why not a port for the 7800?

Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom - Loved the arcade game; this would have looked awesome on the 7800!

Super Mario Brothers - The 7800 could handle side-scrolling platformers; look at Scrapyard Dog.

Bubble Bobble - Why not?

Congo Bongo - This would've been a challenge with the 3/4 isometric perspective but it could be done.

Crystal Castles - It was ported to the 2600 and Atari computers so why not the 7800?

• Like 1

Double Dragon, a good one this time.

I actually thought the 7800 Double Dragon was a good port, especially for a system meant for simpler games like Donkey Kong and Pacman. It had better collision detection than the Sega Master System port. I liked how much closer the 7800 port was to the arcade in contrast to the NES game; you had two player simultaneous instead of alternating and none of that earning moves shtick.

Still though, I wonder how an improved port of DD could be done.

How about light gun game ports for the Atari 7800? The console handled Crossbow pretty well.

Duck Hunt would look like fun on the 7800 and maybe even Operation Wolf could be pulled off!

Given shooters like Xevious and Galaga were done, here's one I want to see on the Atari 7800 -

lwa02.png

How about Legendary Wings?

Edited by 7800Lover
  • Like 1

I actually thought the 7800 Double Dragon was a good port, especially for a system meant for simpler games like Donkey Kong and Pacman. It had better collision detection than the Sega Master System port. I liked how much closer the 7800 port was to the arcade in contrast to the NES game; you had two player simultaneous instead of alternating and none of that earning moves shtick.

Still though, I wonder how an improved port of DD could be done.

What happened was I didn't get all the top Atari 7800 games during my first 3 years as a 7800 owner aka 1989 to 1991. I didn't have Commando at the time. There was games I saw in the 1990 Sears Catalog I wanted, but I didn't get such as Midnight Mutants as an example. Double Dragon from a graphical stand point is a lot to be desired as I got more games in the 7800 game library. The 2nd thing is the discovery of Plutos and Sirius Prototypes revealed how good the 7800 actually was from a graphical standpoint.

The other thing is you are selling the system short. The 7800 has a great port of Commando. Midnight Mutants is one of the true great games for the system. Bob's Brentley Brear's Crystal Quest also shows what the 7800 is capable of it from a graphical standpoint. The truth is what Bob did was possible back in the Tramiel era from a graphical standpoint back because he didn't use use extra memory at all and the 7800 had two games released during its lifetime that were 144k cartridges. The 2 144k game cartridges in question were Alien Brigade and Crossbow were 144k game cartridges.

As far as making the game better. I have suggestions. This is a game that needs to be 256k and a pokey sound chip. The game is missing moves and objects that the players used in the arcade game. The port we got was weaker than the programmers actually tried for. The 7800 version of Double Dragon had stuff that was either unseen or not used. I'm talking about the unused animations for throwing boulders, and a balcony for the final battle that is never seen because the screen didn't scroll enough.

I'm guessing the unused stuff is due to due to Tramiel only up to 144k Cartrige games and Double Dragon was on 128k instead of SMS and Nes having 256k versions of Double Dragon.

Edited by 8th lutz