IGNORED

65xe repair and troubleshooting advice

shoestring

Ok so I did a little work on the XE this evening.

So I realised that I had the wrong MMU in there, there was some confusion over that ( see whole thread ).

So I reprogrammed the PLD with the correct code.

Machine still produced a solid red screen so I swapped the OS rom with a spare from the 600xl which I won't need anymore ( Antonia upgrade ).

Machine fired up, needed a little colour adjustment. Picture isn't as good as my two XLs but it's still nice to see her live again.

e98f06bfa5b007ff1b5a3f3abfe2ca4c.jpg

0d3e91d72799cc8a3ffe3a43f200232c.jpg

Edited by shoestring
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I forgot to mention that I also had no click sound when the keys were pressed in basic. So the NOS GTIA finally arrived and I installed it, now I have my clicks back.

Now the question is, where can I get a label from ? I know someone is selling a reproduction on eBay but I'd like an original.

If anyone has a spare lying around that they don't want or knows someone please let me know. It doesn't have to be a 65xe label, 130xe one will do.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 11/2/2016 at 5:06 AM, tf_hh said:

The reason here is, that Freddie is manufactured in CMOS, all the other custom chips from Atari are manufactured in NMOS

Hi Jurgen,

I know it's a very old thread ... Are you sure all versions of FREDDIE are CMOS? There are at least two versions and the older one was released in 1983 for the 1400XL.

And BTW, I'm pretty sure MMU and EMMU are CMOS gate arrays.

On 12/24/2020 at 4:24 AM, ijor said:

I know it's a very old thread ... Are you sure all versions of FREDDIE are CMOS? There are at least two versions and the older one was released in 1983 for the 1400XL.

And BTW, I'm pretty sure MMU and EMMU are CMOS gate arrays.

Hmm, I won´t bet my life on this info. I´m pretty sure to find a note in the Freddie development documents spreaded over the ususal download places. But I may wrong...