IGNORED

PEB interface card replacement?

Vorticon

I'd advance purchase such a thing - I never understood why the firehose couldn't be replaced with a simple multiplexed connection running over an ethernet cable.

I remember we had a calculation some time ago concerning that idea. You must not forget how many cables we have in that firehose, and that very many of them must be able to switch independently from another at a 333 ns rate. A 100 MBit/s connection would not be sufficient; you'd have to go for a gigabit connection.

Agreed - but I'm not saying we use Ethernet (though PEB over IP would be cool) - just the cable between a small circuit board (perhaps stuffed into a speech synth box) and a PEB card.

I remember we had a calculation some time ago concerning that idea. You must not forget how many cables we have in that firehose, and that very many of them must be able to switch independently from another at a 333 ns rate. A 100 MBit/s connection would not be sufficient; you'd have to go for a gigabit connection.

I still believe that packetizing line transitions and synthesizing certain signals it could be done. We would likely lose the ability to have audio source devices in the PEB, though (SIDMaster, ForTI, Rave99, etc.)

But for that matter, why not something like a SCSI cable (68-pin?) Even 50-pin cables would be workable.

I know some of us have even used a Flex Cable Interface cable extension to move the bulky cable out of the way and use the extension to neatly tuck under the console and to the expansion port.

Like this one.

Which can be found HERE

this is the exact one I use for this method.

post-35187-0-80912200-1478235892_thumb.png

• Like 4

I know some of us have even used a Flex Cable Interface cable extension to move the bulky cable out of the way and use the extension to neatly tuck under the console and to the expansion port.

Like this one.

Which can be found HERE

this is the exact one I use for this method.

yes this one is perfect. I use this to move my CPS-99 a bit around the TI