IGNORED

PEB interface card replacement?

Vorticon

How about eliminating the problem altogether by building a card to put the 994/a IN the PEB, kind of like the Geneve? I know there's a Geneve 2 supposedly still being worked on and at least one FPGA project, but I mean someone just taking the original 4a and condensing it onto a board, with maybe a few of the easier mods built in.

Edited by Tornadoboy

Why a cable? A sidecar box could contain modern miniature components and a hard drive. Only cable would be for external printer port connector etc.

As a PEB interface card replacement, I would not really want a second box hanging off the side of the TI. A cable hopefully, hopefully the round twisted variety, would be less obtrusive. But sure, a SD card based SSHD would be nice integrated into a replacement for the old Flex card interface, after all if we are taking up a slot, might as well put it to use.

How about eliminating the problem altogether by building a card to put the 994/a IN the PEB, kind of like the Geneve?

I'm sure others might like that too, but for me, I'd miss my cartridge port and all the new hardware goodies for it... and I have too much nostalgia tied into the 4A.

I'm sure others might like that too, but for me, I'd miss my cartridge port and all the new hardware goodies for it... and I have too much nostalgia tied into the 4A.

I wonder if there might be a way around that, like putting the cartridge port on the end of a short cable with a docking cradle-like plug that can be stuck on top of the box?

Actually, SNUG pretty much did what you are suggesting here, @Tornadoboy. The TI was broken up into three pieces--a 9938-based graphics card, a 512K GRAM card, and a CPU card with built-in keyboard interface and 1M of SAMS memory. The only thing that disappears in this configuration is the cartridge port. I have a set of these cards, as do a few others here. They work great, although it is getting hard to find a set of them anymore. . .

How about eliminating the problem altogether by building a card to put the 994/a IN the PEB, kind of like the Geneve? I know there's a Geneve 2 supposedly still being worked on and at least one FPGA project, but I mean someone just taking the original 4a and condensing it onto a board, with maybe a few of the easier mods built in.

You mean like this one:

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/peb/sgcpu.html:)

• Like 1

Actually, SNUG pretty much did what you are suggesting here, @Tornadoboy. The TI was broken up into three pieces--a 9938-based graphics card, a 512K GRAM card, and a CPU card with built-in keyboard interface and 1M of SAMS memory. The only thing that disappears in this configuration is the cartridge port. I have a set of these cards, as do a few others here. They work great, although it is getting hard to find a set of them anymore. . .

Yeh, they came out after I pretty much put my stuff away, Wish I could get them today :_(

The SGCPU (aka TI-99/4P) is contained in MAME also. However, the gain is basically on the physical side, which is not visible in an emulation. Apart from that, you can feel the speed-up from its companion card HSGPL which emulates the GROMs. Also, the keyboard is not properly emulated (just pretending that it is the original TI-99 keyboard although it is actually an AT-style).

• Like 2