IGNORED

Atari 5200 Mario Bros Arcade

darryl1970

Update: Final version can be found here. Alternate Final can be found here.

I always thought the 5200 Mario Bros was outstanding for its time. Considering the limited memory, sprite and color limitations, and rush to market, that version contains more animation detail than many versions that would follow.

Although, the XE version has come and blown this away ( I am hacking that version too ), I always wondered how close the graphics could come to the arcade.

Playsoft was already plucking and re-injecting the graphics for the XE, as well as make them easy to edit. He's a wizard.

I asked him if we could do the same with the 5200.

Here's the hacked graphics so far:

post-13491-0-66560700-1478283755_thumb.png post-13491-0-76163800-1478283763_thumb.png post-13491-0-08560200-1478283791_thumb.png

post-13491-0-71829300-1478283772_thumb.png post-13491-0-81456500-1478283779_thumb.png post-13491-0-06126500-1478283799_thumb.png

Edited by darryl1970
Update
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...

I'd like to find a version of this hack i can play on my 8-bit computer...

I have this and the XE version really tight right now. I have been working with a couple others, to see if the sounds can be upgraded.

That's the only thing I am really waiting on.

The 5200 actually has pretty decent sound, except for when channels get drowned out.

i like the 5200 version for its unique controls. You can press forward or backward and jump any direction without needing a running start!

This is true of the arcade, when Mario is standing still. The 5200 is TOO forgiving, in that Mario shouldn't be able to jump the opposite direction he is running. However, the arcade version has a "timing" that is quicker responding than the NES, XE, or 7800 version. I do prefer the 5200 a little in this, because it is the only version that easily replicates some of the good arcade patterns. The downside is that it is a little too forgiving on the inertia, especially when there is ice on the floor. I get frustrated with how long it takes Mario to get to the top on the XE version. That is the ONLY major fault I have with the XE version.

I just got an Atari XEGS. Will I be able to play this game on that Atari computer?

If somebody converts it to an XE ROM.

I have been working on the XE version, which is more complete in game play and cut scenes.

Each version has its strong points. I kind of prefer Mario on the 5200, because he is 2 pixels wider. That makes a difference.

I prefer the shellcreepers jumping out of their shells on the 5200.

XE has more enemies (icycles), cut scenes, and more frames of animation per character.

XE version thread is found here. I am waiting for some possible sound updates to release it.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like what you have done with this. I like the updated enemy sprites, Mario looks closer to how he looks in the NES version. Maybe you could update the sounds a bit? Thanks for sharing. :)

It's funny you mention sound, because sound is the main reason I haven't posted anything. Synthpopalooza created some sounds to upgrade the XE version (originally for a 7800 Pokey hack). Tep392 was going to help inject the into the XE code, but I think he has too many projects to be able to help. I was hoping to be able to get them into the 5200 version too. I have been holding off on releasing the 5200 or XE hacks, because I didn't to post an incomplete hack. Playsoft helped me with swapping the graphics, which is not like adding a new sound engine, the challenge now would be trying to add a custom sound engine into the games.

Unless there is somebody that is proficient in this area, I do not know if any sound upgrades will be a possibility.

I was hoping to go more arcade-like than NES, since the NES version was such a major disappointment. I was amazed at how accurate Mario looked back in the day, but the enemies were horrible. The lack of animation really disappointed me. Some of the sound effects are truer to the arcade, but some are just horrible. Mario's running sound is like nails on a chalkboard to me. The XE version tried to copy the NES, which I do not understand (Much like the 7800 Donkey Kong). I actually prefer the 5200 sound effects over the NES and XE. I do not care much for the XE sound effects. The only disappointment I had with the 5200 was that sound would cut out (eg: Mario's walk sound would cut out the level clear sound and when he kicked enemies off the floor). I always made sure to stop walking, so I could hear the sounds.

The 5200 version uses a different sprite engine than the XE version. I actually prefer the way Mario and Luigi look on the 5200 hack. They are two pixels wider than the XE version, and that makes a surprising difference, allowing for a better animation flow.

It's funny you mention sound, because sound is the main reason I haven't posted anything. Synthpopalooza created some sounds to upgrade the XE version (originally for a 7800 Pokey hack). Tep392 was going to help inject the into the XE code, but I think he has too many projects to be able to help. I was hoping to be able to get them into the 5200 version too. I have been holding off on releasing the 5200 or XE hacks, because I didn't to post an incomplete hack. Playsoft helped me with swapping the graphics, which is not like adding a new sound engine, the challenge now would be trying to add a custom sound engine into the games.

Unless there is somebody that is proficient in this area, I do not know if any sound upgrades will be a possibility.

I was hoping to go more arcade-like than NES, since the NES version was such a major disappointment. I was amazed at how accurate Mario looked back in the day, but the enemies were horrible. The lack of animation really disappointed me. Some of the sound effects are truer to the arcade, but some are just horrible. Mario's running sound is like nails on a chalkboard to me. The XE version tried to copy the NES, which I do not understand (Much like the 7800 Donkey Kong). I actually prefer the 5200 sound effects over the NES and XE. I do not care much for the XE sound effects. The only disappointment I had with the 5200 was that sound would cut out (eg: Mario's walk sound would cut out the level clear sound and when he kicked enemies off the floor). I always made sure to stop walking, so I could hear the sounds.

The 5200 version uses a different sprite engine than the XE version. I actually prefer the way Mario and Luigi look on the 5200 hack. They are two pixels wider than the XE version, and that makes a surprising difference, allowing for a better animation flow.

I hated how on the NES version that they couldn't even get the colors right. If you have noticed, the enemy sprites are downgraded form the arcade version. I mean, the turtles just look weird on the NES. (and 7800) It's the same with Donkey Kong. The Intro and the pie factory level are missing. The NES had no excuse because all home computers had them. (even computers like the Vic-20 and the IBM PC Booter) Anyway, when are you gonna post a file so that it can be played? (Same with XE version?) I fell i love as soon as I saw your screenshots. :P

Edited by Atari PAC-MAN Fan
  • Like 1

The only disappointment I had with the 5200 was that sound would cut out (eg: Mario's walk sound would cut out the level clear sound and when he kicked enemies off the floor). I always made sure to stop walking, so I could hear the sounds.

Yes, I was always disappointed when the game-end tune would cut out and would try to stop moving!

I didn't know the fact about MM&L on 5200 vs XE. Extra two pixels - so the 5200 version used missiles for more character details? Are there comparison pics?

• Like 1

I hated how on the NES version that they couldn't even get the colors right. If you have noticed, the enemy sprites are downgraded form the arcade version. I mean, the turtles just look weird on the NES. (and 7800) It's the same with Donkey Kong. The Intro and the pie factory level are missing. The NES had no excuse because all home computers had them. (even computers like the Vic-20 and the IBM PC Booter) Anyway, when are you gonna post a file so that it can be played? (Same with XE version?) I fell i love as soon as I saw your screenshots. :P

Thanks. I will probably be releasing them pretty soon. I have been pretty tied up at home, so just have to find time to search for the latest. It's been so long since I worked on them. I have just been waiting to see if the sound could be updated.

• Like 1

Yes, I was always disappointed when the game-end tune would cut out and would try to stop moving!

I didn't know the fact about MM&L on 5200 vs XE. Extra two pixels - so the 5200 version used missiles for more character details? Are there comparison pics?

I found the graphic engine choices really fascinating. I remember playing the 5200 version as a child. I remember noticing that Mario's body was sometimes behind his clothes when he ran. I actually thought it gave the game some personality -- almost cartoon-ish.

Back when I shared my graphic tweak ideas with Playsoft, he liked them. Despite limited time, he decided he wanted to help me get the graphics out. As he was poking around, it was cool to discover the two different iconcepts used, to make the games work with the limited palettes and sprites.

XE

The XE version uses all Players and Missiles for Mario and Luigi. Mario is Player 0 and 1 overlapped (to give a third color). Luigi is player 2 and 3 overlapped. Eight bits wide is not sufficient for these characters, so the programmers used the corresponding missiles to add 2 pixels to each. I always wondered why Mario's colors were so off. It was a sacrifice to get a close flesh tone when overlapped. (I chose more of a brownish color than red. This allowed me to get rid of the neon-like blues and greens while retaining the flesh color). I never noticed until now, but the XE version is also about 2 pixels shorter than the 5200 sprites. This also makes it a little tougher to get as close to the arcade.

All of the enemies are software sprites. The programmers appear to have used a character mode, so that they could have an extra color on screen (by using the inverse character). In order to make the enemies move smoothly, the same enemy is drawn multiple times, to give it a smoother horizontal offset. That explains one of the reasons the game is 64K and needs 64K to run. Since the enemies use the background colors, and there are limited colors, there is no green. That is why the shellcreepers have yellow shells. Blue is necessary for the the ice stages, and it doesn't really make sense to change colors at that point on this version. The shellcreepers are single sprites as the "get up" frames. Since the software sprites are only so wide, it wasn't possible to draw them as if they were jumping out of their shells.

The 5200 uses a combination of Players and software sprites. I do not think the missiles are used. The software sprite engine is actually 12 pixels wide. That gives Mario and Luigi a more accurate size for detail. It also gave me an edge when drawing enemies. (The XE has the advantage of more frames of animation though). Mario is Player0, overlapped with a software sprite. Since Mario and Luigi both share the Red color and the Flesh color, this works. This actually answered a few questions I had growing up as to why Mario couldn't jump above the score, he partially disappeared when walking over the pipes, and only his clothes displayed when running off the sides of the screen. It all made sense.

The Sidesteppers, pipes, bricks, and other things all use red. The flesh is used for the score, shellcreeper eyes, sidestepper highlights, etc. The other color is green (early levels) and blue (ice ages). The green is good for early pipes, floors, shellcreeper shells, etc. The blue is needed for the slipice and the ice on the floors later. By that time, blue pipes and shellcreepers don't matter much. I always thought it gave it a "dark, cold" feel. I thought it was done purposely.

So Mario's blue suit is Player0, Luigi is Player1, and the fireballs are the other two players. The shellcreepers have separate graphics for the shells and the "naked" shellcreepers. This made it easy to change ALL of the animations. I was able to make the fireballs sightly taller, but nothing too great.

post-13491-0-11258400-1493142253_thumb.png

• Like 1

Very interesting. I had no idea that Mario 5200 used a mix of Player overtop a software sprite (character tile). That introduces problems for the programmers, trying to smoothly animate Mario and Luigi jumping and moving around pixel-by-pixel. Sounds like the XE graphic engine solution is considered superior though.

• Like 1

Very interesting. I had no idea that Mario 5200 used a mix of Player overtop a software sprite (character tile). That introduces problems for the programmers, trying to smoothly animate Mario and Luigi jumping and moving around pixel-by-pixel. Sounds like the XE graphic engine solution is considered superior though.

The XE engine has some advantages, but I prefer the 12 pixel width for Mario and Luigi on the 5200. The XE version will flicker if too many software sprites are on the same horizontal row, where that doesn't seem to be an issue with the 5200. I notice that messes up my scoring pattern on the second level. The 5200 plays just like the arcade. The XE version holds a shellcreeper back, until the others have been eliminated. That kind of bugs me. I guess it's apples/oranges, with the XE having a slight advantage. (More colors allow for the angry enemies!)

I don't know if the 5200 is capable of adding RAM to a cart. Since the XE version needs 64K of RAM to run, that makes it not an option for a 5200 conversion. If it's a possibility, I kind of doubt anybody capable cares enough to do it.

• 2 months later...