IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

That seems pointless considering most A8s already have composite video available on their monitor ports.

Not as pointless as it seems.

There is already a fix for all known comp. video issues... so I thought an comp video output on the pcb would provide a perfect comp video. (Bypassing the not so good circuit on mobo's)

• Like 1

Price sounds good, but due to lack of RGB on newer TV's I would only be interested if it had a more compatible output. And out of all the possibilities it would seem that transitioning over to component would be the easiest from RGB. Same number of outputs and very similar in many aspects. Any thoughts on this?

- Michael

Price sounds good, but due to lack of RGB on newer TV's I would only be interested if it had a more compatible output. And out of all the possibilities it would seem that transitioning over to component would be the easiest from RGB. Same number of outputs and very similar in many aspects. Any thoughts on this?

You could just use an RGB to component converter (they're on eBay for around $40-50), or you could have this internal solution from the creator of the 2600RGB. You use the pre-existing luma signal in addition to the RGB signals.

You could just use an RGB to component converter (they're on eBay for around $40-50), or you could have this internal solution from the creator of the 2600RGB. You use the pre-existing luma signal in addition to the RGB signals.

First a simple explanation of the difference between RGB and Component video (quoted from another forum)...

"The difference between RGB (which is a kind of component video actually) and "component video" (YPbPr) is this: RGB has separate signals (each on its own pin) for red, green, and blue, while YPbPr has luminosity, and then a signal with the difference between blue (the b in Pb) and luma, and then another signal with the difference between red and luma. The green component is then "filled in" from this information. YPbPr is used instead of RGB apparently because it uses fewer signals - RGB not only has the three signals, but it also has other signal pins, i.e. HV (two syncs, one horizontal and another vertical, for RGBHV, or S in RGBS, which has both syncs on one wire; there are a few other formats too like Sony's "sync on green," RGsB)."

So my thinking is that most likely all that is required hardware is already present in this new GTIA video board to produce Component, and it would likely require a CPLD to accommodate it. And without researching it more, I suspect that Component video is a more 'universally' available interface for both the Americas and Europe compared to RGB, which is primarily available in Europe. And as such, if there were a way to change this new video board to output Component video instead, then no converter what-so-ever would be required.

However I leave this to the discretion of the creator, since I was simply stating 'my' preferences ;)

It's really no harder to output Component than RGB.

"ditto"

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 2

OK, a curious question:

We all know that in Graphics 9, setting the background to a non-zero value affects the number of shades that will be produced.

With this new GTIA board, what happens if you, for instance, store the value $01 in COLBK? Does the background suddenly become one shade higher, but you still keep the same 16 shades?

• Like 1

Another question: Rybags mentioned shifting the Graphics 10 pixels back a color clock so they would match with hi-res graphics. Is there any way to pull the opposite trick: Shift Graphics 11 pixels or Graphics 9 pixels one color clock right, so that you can get a 160x192 HIP-style mode but with 256 colors?

Also: Does this mean that Graphics 0, text color (COLPF1) can now be independent from the BG color? (COLPF2) ... if so, this opens up all new sorts of possibilities.

It would be super cool if the extra colors in Graphics 10 (colors 9 through 15) could be made independently programmable, so we could have a full 16-color Graphics 10 mode. That was one thing I wish the original Atari designers had worked more on.

• Like 1

@ProWizard
Only through RGB. No impact on the composite.

@MytekControl
That's why I asked about component. I'll try to make it.

@Ricortes
The device uses a clock signal (3.54MHz or 3.58MHz) from MB as a base for x8 PLL multiplier.

@Synthpopalooza
1. Yes. Each shade is OR-ed with the COLBAK register. The device has the same property. If you write #01 to the COLBAK register, each shade will have the least significant bit set
2. No. You want to shift the pixel before decoding. I talk with Rybags about shifting it after.
3. Yes. Text color in hi-res is independent from the COLPF2.
4. Unfortunately, there is no address space for additional 7 color register and not enough resources in CPLD.

• Like 4

Hello guys

On the XE series, would it be possible to use the 14.318 crystal that's already on the board?

A lot of older monitors here in Europe don't have Component Video but do have RGB on the SCART connector. Would it be possible to either support both, or divide the PCB design into two smaller PCB's? One with the GTIA (which everybody would need) and the other with either the Component Video or the RGB supporting hardware (you'll choose what goes best with your monitor)?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

So my thinking is that most likely all that is of the required hardware is already present in this new GTIA video board to produce Component video, and it would likely only require a change in the CPLD to accommodate it.

Well that is what I meant to say. I was too much in a rush this morning, and my thoughts got all jumbled up.

@MytekControl

That's why I asked about component. I'll try to make it.

Glad to see you still figured out what I was trying to say. And I would definitely be interested in a Component video version of this, so count me in for buying at least one of them in this form, if you decide to do it :)

- Michael