IGNORED

Lynx 1 or 2

Jim Pez

- Both have kick ass design in my opinion

- Both have high quality builds in comparsion to other handhelds, Lynx I seems slightly higher quality and more robust in a good way.

- Can't know which one suits your hands better before trying, both are big and comfortable though.

- Both have good buttons and D-pads

- Lynx I screen divided into three parts while Lynx II into two, these parts might be visible on units with detereorating screens, so slightly less annoying on Lynx II.

- Some homebrews and flashcarts might not fit into Lynx I

- Both fry when you plug the ac adapter chord into the headphone jack.

(- If you start to like the Lynx McWill's lcd mod/upgrade is beyond amazing.)

Okay, I received one Lynx 1 models I purchased in the mail today unmodded like brand new in its original state, and working perfectly.

I did a full comparison of the Lynx 1 and the Lynx 2.

Here is my opinions.

As far as looks, I like the Lynx 1 just a tad bit better, pretty much because I like the larger size. I think the screen looks more sharper than the Lynx 2, including in colors. As far as the speaker, its a no brainer.

The Lynx 1 has a much more powerful speaker and deeper base tone that you can feel in your hands when playing games on it. Even though its not stereo, it certain is louder and more crisp sound.

As far as durability, I would go with the model 2 Lynx.

If you bump something or Dont handle with real care, i hear the Lynx 1s paint can and will chip off. And also sweaty hands from playing for a long period of time can wear paint off. The Lynx I own doesn't have scratches or paint wear, but I know if not handeles with special care it can easily become victim to paint chips and wear.

The integrity of the she'll on the Lynx 2 is longer lasting from a cosmetic perspective.

As far as battery life, Lynx model 2 is slightky longer lasting, and also the battery life indicater light is useful for having a warning of when battery life is about to die. The Lynx model 1 does not have that option. Also Lynx model 2 has a backlight on and off to reserve battery life when game is on pause, which is another option not available on Lynx model 1.

Certain custum made carts are very difficult to go in and out the Lynx 1 if it can take it at all. Lynx model 2 is better in this category as any Lynx cart slides in and out without issue, however I do think the Lynx 1 cart insert door is pretty cool, an option not available on Lynx 2.

As far as buttons, I like the rounder buttons on Lynx model 1 better, not saying the Lynx 2 buttons are bad or anything as I like them also.

I like the joypad better on the Lynx 2 better as it is more comfortable and seems to be slightly more accurate in gameplay, but that could just be because of comfort.

As far as sunviser and sheild, I like the Lynx 1 better. Reason being because of the design. On the lynx 1 it just connects into 4 prong perfect fit holes and doesn't cause damage to shell and no matter how many times you take it on and off because it doesn't slide around.

On the Lynx 2 model, the sun viser can easily scratch the area around the screen and shell because it can move around because it just snaps onto the actual shell unperfectly the way it comes on and off. Also it covers over the chrome Atari logo on the Lynx 2. On the Lynx 1 you can still see the chrome atari logo even when on.

Lynx 1 wins the sun viser contest.

As far as carrying, the Lynx 2 fits perfect in pouch and can be shut closed.

The Carrying pouch does not fit over the whole Lynx 1 model because of the length. When puting the Lynx 1 in carrying pouch you cannot Velcro the pouch shut because about 10% of the shell sticks out therefore the Lynx isn't perfectly protected.

As far as the big Lynx carrying suitcase, bother the Lynx 1 and Lynx 2 fit just fine. However with the Lynx 1 model you have to remove one of the Velcro inserts and that leaves less romm for other items you may want to store in carrying suitcase...

Therefore the Lynx 2 is better for the carrying pouch and the carrying suitcase for all the above reasons.

The design of the Lynx 2 is probably better than the design on the Lynx 1 because of the extra options and too some people may have a more modern sleek apperence, but in my humble opinion I still like how the appearance of the Lynx 1 better for reasons hard to explain...lol

So my final answer for now will be that I like the Lynx 1 better because it has a more old school original style to it despite its flaws and a few lesser options that the Lynx 2 has...........

Still my opinion might change from day to day because its a real close call and is hard to say that one is better than the other.

It basically comes down to preference depending on who you are and if you feel that the Couole of extra options on the Lynx 2 is important to you or not.

Never mind, LoL, its a draw.

Both the Lynx 1 and 2 are Awsome well designed quality handhelds.....

Atari Lynx still to this day is my favorite handheld game console of all time.

Its very unique and lighy years ahead of its time.......A very underrated and underappreciated system back in the days........Perhaps one of Atari's best inventions.

Hope my long long rants were helpful.

Now, that's just my assessment of the Lynx 1 and 2 in there orininal state.

One day when I have more time to type i let y'all know my opinion on my Lynx 1 and Lynx 2 McWill modded consoles, with the VGA ports which are my two favorite items in my video game collection.

? please excuse any typing errors that may or may not be in my report.........I'll proof read another time.

Have a good day, or night.

Edited by Stun Runner 87

As far as carrying, the Lynx 2 fits perfect in pouch and can be shut closed.

The Carrying pouch does not fit over the whole Lynx 1 model because of the length. When puting the Lynx 1 in carrying pouch you cannot Velcro the pouch shut because about 10% of the shell sticks out therefore the Lynx isn't perfectly protected.

In fact, there is one pouch for both model. On big for lynx 1 and one small for lynx 2. You will see there a pouch for lynx 1 with the modded lynx 1 I sent you :)

Edited by bdoi

In fact, there is one pouch for both model. On big for lynx 1 and one small for lynx 2. You will see there a pouch for lynx 1 with the modded lynx 1 I sent you :)

???, I almost forgot you were sending me the pouch with the Lynx you sent out.

The one you sent me will be the second lynx I recieved in the mail this week.

Now i will have both the original LCD screen Lynx 1 i recieved in the mail yesterday, and the Mcwill Modded Lynx 1 you sent me which I hope is in the mail by the end of this week.

These are the first Lynx model 1s I've ever owned and there are a few things I like about the model 1 than the model 2.

I can't wait to see how the McWill looks like on a model 1.

I'm still going to have to find me an extra larger version pouch for the other one I just got. lol.

I have 4 Lynx's now.....

2 ones and 2 twos, im running out of room.?

Edited by Stun Runner 87

I have had both and I prefer the Lynx 2. I like that the first one came out in the 80s and is the classic, but I like the look and feel of the second one better. Also, the pain chips and peels terribly on the original and this is a deal-breaker for me.

The wear and paint chip issue with Lynx 1 is preventable.

Most the ones that look Like crap are do to people poor care taken of them.........

Probably mainly because they were once property of kids, and we know how kids kind of throw things around, drop or bang against walls or what not....lmao ??? I know as I was once a kid and I used to tear my toys up, and later in life regretted when I find out how much my old toys would of been worth had I properly took care of them.....just like anyone else.

I actually used to take a magnified glass and melt my GI Joe and Star Wars characters in the sunlight.., hahahahahhah...now they worth a small fortune and I had to recollect them all again. :-(

The Lynx 1 I just recieved in mail is used.

Previous owner took good care of both the Lynx and Box.

It looks like brand new right off the assembly line.

I've talked to people here who also have a lynx 1 and they have told me they have played it 10000s of times the last 20 plus years and there haven't suffered cosmetic issues.

So it mainly depends on upkeep.

I also have Lynx 2 models, and I also love them too.

Thats why I have difficulty deciding which is better.

Each has diffenet qualities that the others Dont.

Personally I slightly like the first model better for justified reasons.

But yes, everyone has there opinions.

I just like you also was very skeptical about the model 1 and had never picked one up until very recently. I always had model 2s.

But once I took the Lynx 1 out of box, picked it up, popped in cart, closed door and turn on the power switch. I instantly loved it.

Especially the Sound.

The sound blows the Lynx 2 away by light years .

Peace. ✌

?

Edited by Stun Runner 87