IGNORED

Troubleshooting XB256 Compiler:A sense of accomplishment

Sinphaltimus

Shout out to Tursi and Senior Falcon.

I ran in to another issue compiling today. I was determined not to ask for help.

So I read all the things you guys posted and shared all the other times I had issues and it was a success.

So happy.

Thank you.

For others drawn here because of the title, here's what happened and how it played out.

I'm using classic99 with Harry Wilhelm's XB256 and his 256D Compiler to compile an Extended BASIC program.

The program compiled without issue.

It was the Assembler that threw this at me...

post-47352-0-74141900-1478378367_thumb.png

So without changing any DSK settings (I do not save all dv to windows text and I do not save in TIFiles format)

I typed this into the compiler "DSK2.?w.Z43,TXT"

The ?W being a flag for classic99 to tell it to save dv as windows text as long as I use the txt extension I think.
I assumed that everything after the DSK2. was a filename character count. so ? to the second T equals 10 total characters.

I could be mistaken but better safe than sorry.

post-47352-0-88041500-1478378371_thumb.png

Then I loaded the saved txt file into notepad++ with line numbers turned on and scrolled down to line number 1252.

I found 1252 to contain a line reference to line 3500 and it was right above line 3500 with line 3490 preceding it.

post-47352-0-57075100-1478378364_thumb.png

I went to lines 3490 and 3500 in my Extended Basic program and found a typo!

post-47352-0-36832600-1478378360_thumb.png

I'm so grateful for the knowledge everyone shares with the community. Bravo and thank you for making me that much more self reliant.

So happy. :)

post-47352-0-80969400-1478380459_thumb.png

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 4

Feel good to figure it out on your own, doesn't it? I had something like that happen once in an assembly program where I typed RO instead of R0. I had a heck of a time finding it!

Try running the XB program in Classic99 using turbo mode which just might speed things up enough for you to do some useful debugging in XB. Especially if your computer is newer than the clunkers that I use!

Congratulations! To answer your one question:

So without changing any DSK settings (I do not save all dv to windows text and I do not save in TIFiles format)

The ?W being a flag for classic99 to tell it to save dv as windows text as long as I use the txt extension I think.

I assumed that everything after the DSK2. was a filename character count. so ? to the second T equals 10 total characters.

Correct, everything after the "?W." is the filename, including the ".TXT". You can omit that, but then you will have to figure out how to open the file on the Windows side. It's easier if you include it, but Classic99 doesn't care.

So to break it down:

DSK2. - the file system device name

?W. - a flag to Classic99's FIAD disk system

Z43.TXT - the filename itself

When you are using FIAD files under Classic99, as long as they are not V9T9 (that is, TIFILES or Windows files), you are NOT restricted to 10 characters. That is a limitation of the TI Disk Controller that many systems chose to copy, but Classic99's disk system does not impose that limit. This is not an emulation concept - the TI itself supports very long strings in the filename. ;)

I do plan to change the scheme slightly before bringing it to hardware, as documented in my file system proposal (mostly to remove the ambiguity of the periods ;) ). But for now that's the case!

• Like 1

I enjoy learning things. I enjoy teaching things. I'm uncomfortable not knowing things I want to know. There are so many resources here, it's often confusing as to where I should look for the information I need. Often times I forget there is a manual for just about everything. I ask for help or I'm drilling through tasks as dictated by the information I find and it has me touching on so many different aspects of what makes it all work. I rarely get to slow down and expand on each and every facet of info.

This small and relatively easy task of finding basic issues like typos is huge for me. It's actually the first time I've ever looked at assembly with any sense of what might be going on in it. Namely due to the labels being line nume numbers from the actual BASIC program I wrote. So there was some familiarity at a rudimentary level.

I'm enjoying this journey. I am reminded why I fell in love with computers to begin with. I never imagined returning to the TI in such a way. I also never imagined the TI held strong all these years with the support of so many intelligent people constantly developing new things for it. Keeping it going all these years.

I've had an interesting life so far. And it's still getting interesting. The TI represents one constant that been with me for most of it even if I left it for a large chunk. It will always be the computer that started it all. The seed in which I sprang into creative computing. So here I am, returning to it in an attempt to reboot some core competencies and strengthen my programming skills and understanding. There's a lot of work to do and I greatly appreciate all of you for assisting. It's my pleasure to contribute in any ways that I can.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Shout out to Tursi and Senior Falcon.

I ran in to another issue compiling today. I was determined not to ask for help.

So I read all the things you guys posted and shared all the other times I had issues and it was a success.

So happy.

Thank you.

For others drawn here because of the title, here's what happened and how it played out.

I'm using classic99 with Harry Wilhelm's XB256 and his 256D Compiler to compile an Extended BASIC program.

The program compiled without issue.

It was the Assembler that threw this at me...

attachicon.gifZ43TSISSUE.png

attachicon.gifZ43TS.png

Then I loaded the saved txt file into notepad++ with line numbers turned on and scrolled down to line number 1252.

I found 1252 to contain a line reference to line 3500 and it was right above line 3500 with line 3490 preceding it.

attachicon.gifZ43TStrack.png

I went to lines 3490 and 3500 in my Extended Basic program and found a typo!

attachicon.gifZ43TSfound.png

I'm so grateful for the knowledge everyone shares with the community. Bravo and thank you for making me that much more self reliant.

So happy. :)

attachicon.gifZ43TSFIXED.png

Thanks! Just learned something new.

• Like 1