IGNORED

Neon Centipedez WIP

Ok guys. So I just spent a little over an hour resizing and formatting this animation into a 24 bit .bmp sprite image that I am hoping the Jaguar will be able to use. It is 60 frames. I can reduce it to 30 but I would rather not. Can somebody take a look at it and tell me what they think I should do in regards to managing this large image? The thing is the image is 1.09 MB alone. I originally planned on having at least 5 variations of this centipede which means 5 sprites. I need suggestions. If I go lower than 24 bit will Raptor still be able to associate the image? Thanks in advance.

Jaguar_normal_strip59_BMP.bmp

Perhaps try 16 bit or 8 bit. You probably wouldn't notice much difference. I don't have my pc handy to count the number of colours in there but I doubt it needs to be that high.

Also, that sprite is roughly 1/3 of the screen width, does it need to be that big?

Not sure about your question on if raptor will handle lower than 24bit? It handles lots of bit depths and all your graphics can be different depths.

Perhaps try 16 bit or 8 bit. You probably wouldn't notice much difference. I don't have my pc handy to count the number of colours in there but I doubt it needs to be that high.

Also, that sprite is roughly 1/3 of the screen width, does it need to be that big?

Not sure about your question on if raptor will handle lower than 24bit? It handles lots of bit depths and all your graphics can be different depths.

The size is about right I wanted it 1/3 the screen width and I dont want it upscaled from a smaller size becaue you really cant see any detail if you go smaller. My question about the bit depth was because i know if i go to 8 or 16 bit it will reduce the memory it uses but for some reason i thought you could only associate sprites that are 24 bit in Raptor. The last time I tried to use a 16 bit image i got an error. Do you have to select the bit depth of the object in one of the variables before importing the image?

And here is a concept video made on the PC. This is NOT running on Jaguar hardware and it is NOT the game. I just wanted to show the concept and help paint a clearer picture in everyone's head of what im shooting for with Neon Centipedez. I used an old Centipede WIP and threw the Jaguar sprites in there along with unused T2K music just to help get a feel of what it will look like. it is a buggy mess

• Like 4

below is the Fuji launcher sprite, which will essentially be the player sprite. Frame 1 will be not shooting. frame 2 will be shooting and frame 3 is the actual center projectile piece that will be fired upward. This weighs in at only 6k. It is also a 16 bit image.

It'd be cool if that could be used in the 5200 / 7800 versions!

• Like 1

below is the first animated backdrop. Now the way I think this is going to work if I understand how the Jaguar draws its graphics is this: This will actually be a static object meaning that it is not moving, however it will loop the 8 frames and be drawn at 0,0 the upper left far point of the screen. Now NTSC Jaguars display at 320 X 200 and this sprite is half that size (an effort in resource management I say) Now the trick I hope to be able to do is create a variable that upscales this sprite by 200% which will in effect MASK the the screen. (320X200) This object will also have to be displayed underneath all other sprites/objects on the screen. Does this make sense? Am I on the right track with creating a static/animated backdrop at full screen ratio?

I think I'm right...... in theory

BG1_jag_friendly_16bit.bmp

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

That'll be fine as long as you just want a backdrop and no game.

The Jaguar is pathetically slow at scaling, plus that is 24 bit. Colour count shows 11 colours used. Reduce it to 4bpp and use full size, unscaled.

OK. So here is the full scale image converted to 4bpp. This weighs in at a whopping 250K. I plan on doing at least 3 (preferably 4) of these 6-8 frame animated backdrops, Anyway to get the size down even further? I thought about converting to gray scale this particular one however that still comes out to 250K. I was able to reduce the amount of frames to 6 in my editor and it still looks good. Should I try this next? Or is there another way to get that size down that I am not thinking of?

4bit_BG.bmp

Maybe you can compress the backgrounds and only decompress the animation background you need.

I think you mean in game unpacking of assets or in game loading similar to how Barkley Shut up and Jam does it,. unfortunately I have no idea how this is done and have only seen one other game that does something similar. Project One from Reboot.

Talking about BSUAJ I think that was supposed to be a CD game initially with music and perhaps even cut scenes and whoever got ahold of it prior to releasing it figured a way to put it on cartridge. I would imagine something like this was done with Iron Soldier 2 but as I have no version CD or cartridge I can't really speculate too much on that. I know there is some sort of technique to packing the graphics in and then unpacking them later, I just don't know what that technique is. I did the math though If I have four 250K animated backdrops that is roughly 1MB and that still leaves me 3 MBs for other sprites, sounds, music and code. Do the Math..... lol

• 5 weeks later...