IGNORED

Are we going to have a TI Christmas?

Omega-TI

It looks like it was good that I built 30 standard UberGROM boards this weekend. . .

This is the exact reason I believe everyone with a burner should always have a couple of UberGROM boards and at least one 1284P on standby... you'll be able to have 'instant gratification' when something cool comes out.

• Like 1

I like those. One thing with the Disney carts though, the names were actually longer. I remember that Von Drake was actually Von Drake's Molecular Mission, Peter Pan was Peter Pan's Space Odyssey, and Pinocchio was Pinocchio's Great Escape.

Of course, we'd also have to add Introduction to Plant Genetics to the cartridges to reproduce in GROM list. . ..and possibly a few of the others that could otherwise be hoisted into the 32K space, as this would let them be played on a bare console (Lasso, Angler Dangler, Crossfire, Scrabble, and others).

Sorry about my ignorance, but why some GROM based games as Parsec can be run from FlashRom99 with the 32K expansion (or from diskette) and some, as Tutankam, can´t?

Grin grom only games can be loaded into exp ram and executed from there. The tutenkam game has rom and grom so two can't fit in rom at the same time

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Grin grom only games can be loaded into exp ram and executed from there. The tutenkam game has rom and grom so two can't fit in rom at the same time

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I think he may be onto something, though. Parsec has both ROM and GROM, but I think the big difference is there is a disk-based version of it available.

• Like 1

The problem is more complicated than that. It is all about size. You have to count the number of 8K spaces a program fills, and then add one 8K space dor the loader program to execute the GROM portion of the program. If your answer is 32K or less, you can make it work. If it is greater than 32K, you are pretty much doomed unless compression and/or removal of extra stuff like splash screens shrinks it down enough for the whole thing to fit into that 32K space. A TI cartridge usually has a maximum of 5 GROMs and two ROMS, so a single cartridge could easily consume 56K of space. As 2K of each GROM is always empty (at least in cartridges TI built), you can eliminate 10K by compressing things, but that still leaves you at 46K--and that is before adding the GROM simulator routine to the image. Some cartridges are just too big to crunch down to the 32K size you can't exceed.

This is one of those weird quirks about the TI that you won't find in other systems, as it puts live program data in an area outside the normal 64K of memory that the CPU can access--and uses the CPU to run the programs in that space. GROM memory effectively adds 48K of memory space to the CPU memory area, without bank switching. That alone was probably the most powerful argument to use GROM back then. . .as it allowed programs to be much more complex.

• Like 3

Rasmus, are you aware if this actually exists? I mean Classic 99 and all other emulators, interpret GPL on Windows. But I am assuming that you heard about some other project which is more akin using a GPL IDE, running one line of code at a time, without the need of creating a BIN file (I use RalphB's XDT99). If that exists, I am interested too.

Rasmus, are you aware if this actually exists? I mean Classic 99 and all other emulators, interpret GPL on Windows. But I am assuming that you heard about some other project which is more akin using a GPL IDE, running one line of code at a time, without the need of creating a BIN file (I use RalphB's XDT99). If that exists, I am interested too.

I'm talking about the tool that makes it possible to run GPL from RAM instead of GROM/GRAM. I assume such a tool has been used to produce the disk versions of many GROM carts, but I have not seen the actual tool.

Hmm, I'm don't think it's there, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I just checked: The GPL linker is in the disk jedimatt42 pointed at. It's in an ARK file named "RYTEDATA".

To convert GRAM carts to EA5, I think you first have to dissassemble them, then reassemble to object files and use the GPL linker to link these object files and the GPL simulator to an EA5 file.

I just checked: The GPL linker is in the disk jedimatt42 pointed at. It's in an ARK file named "RYTEDATA".

To convert GRAM carts to EA5, I think you first have to dissassemble them, then reassemble to object files and use the GPL linker to link these object files and the GPL simulator to an EA5 file.

Yes—Here is the linker document from that ARK file converted to DOS/Windows text: linker-doc.txt

...lee

• Like 2

The problem is more complicated than that. It is all about size. You have to count the number of 8K spaces a program fills, and then add one 8K space dor the loader program to execute the GROM portion of the program. If your answer is 32K or less, you can make it work. If it is greater than 32K, you are pretty much doomed unless compression and/or removal of extra stuff like splash screens shrinks it down enough for the whole thing to fit into that 32K space. A TI cartridge usually has a maximum of 5 GROMs and two ROMS, so a single cartridge could easily consume 56K of space. As 2K of each GROM is always empty (at least in cartridges TI built), you can eliminate 10K by compressing things, but that still leaves you at 46K--and that is before adding the GROM simulator routine to the image. Some cartridges are just too big to crunch down to the 32K size you can't exceed.

This is one of those weird quirks about the TI that you won't find in other systems, as it puts live program data in an area outside the normal 64K of memory that the CPU can access--and uses the CPU to run the programs in that space. GROM memory effectively adds 48K of memory space to the CPU memory area, without bank switching. That alone was probably the most powerful argument to use GROM back then. . .as it allowed programs to be much more complex.

Interesting to know. but it´s possible to have the rom part in ROM in a cartridge (or in Flashrom99) and the GROM part in RAM (loaded from disk in the 32K exp)?

I have several pc game controllers I'll never use again unless.....

What about a pc game controller adaptor for the ti?

https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/input_device/joystick-pc-gameport/

You could plug one almost directly into the UberGROM. Wire the buttons to short ground to the GPIO pins (gives you all 4 buttons), and wire the analog joystick pins up to the ADC pins (gives you all four axes). Basically the exact circuit shown on that page. On the software side, configure the GPIO to enable the pull-ups, and map the GPIO and all four ADCs to separate slots in GROMCFG. Then just read the GPIO and ADC ports at will.

Downside, of course, only works with software designed that way, but if you wanted to drop a PC game port on your cartridge, all the parts are there. ;)

• Like 2