IGNORED

Genesis release...with cart and SD card?

omegadot

It seems to me that anything can happen when it comes to Brazil and Sega (and TecToy). It would be neat if they made a scaled down Genesis like the little NES coming here later this week.

I liked this article about their games market. Weird things happen when you don't have free trade.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/brazil-is-a-video-game-alternate-universe-where-sega-beat-nintendo

I see that the video says "Design Original", but the photo they use still looks like an original MD. For example, where is the SD slot that they're touting? Is it on the *back*? It's not visible in any photo I've seen released. The photo also looks really shiny, which looks either used or cheaply made. I'm still voting used, although cheaply made is definitely possible. That wouldn't explain why they don't show the SD slot, though.

At least the photo in the video is of a MegaDrive, not the Genesis most other sites are using.

Edited by spacecadet

It's weird that this Brazil only TecToy product for 2017 is being fronted by the media as Segas answer to the NES Mini now.

Hype hypehypehype hyyype.. groan.

Yep HYPE and clickbait as usual because they know full well a large percentage of SEGA fans need only see headlines like "The Sega Genesis is officially back in production" (Yes actual headline) in order to get clicks and have people share it without a second thought. :P They eat that stuff up.

• Like 1

So this only supports Pal TV's? Wonder if it's going to be available in the USA and where?

PAL only, this will not be available in the USA.

Composite output? C'mon guys, get with the 21st century and get some HDMI happening....

This is not intended for North America. I'm not really one to pass judgement on the A/V format used as the gaming landscape is vastly different in South America than it is up here in North America. The Master System for instance is still being sold down there in one form or another. These aren't little knock-offs and novelties like what we have with the Flashback units or the NES Classic either, these are treated as primary systems for some people down there. Totally different from North America.

So, a Genesis clone like have been on the market for years now, just in a casing like the original Genesis and with an SD card?

It shows how much the US videogame industry has fallen in my perception that news like that is vastly more interesting than anything I've heard about the current crop of mainstream consoles.

From the FAQ this thing sounds like it will function only slightly better than the shit atgames puts out. Heck, they may be using the same GOAC (Genesis on a clone) chips. Forget compatibility with anything unusual like Sonic and Knuckles or Virtua Racing or any of the add-ons like the Power Base Converter, Sega CD, Sega 32X or any peripherals like the Justifier light gun or the Sega mouse. The FAQ also implies that the sound won't be identical to the original, in other words horrible. The only functional benefit over atgames' paperweight is stereo audio.

This console is outputting PAL-M composite video (60Hz, 480i/240p, 4.33MHz color carrier). That means that for the US area, it will likely display on most TVs in B&W because it does not understand the PAL color carrier. Europe may be able to handle the TV better, but it may be possible that TVs will show color rolling screens.

TecToy misses the boat entirely when it says that HDMI has no benefit because the resolution is low. Many people would enjoy the video quality improvement from an RGB to HDMI conversion, composite looks like crap on modern displays.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...